Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Wow! What a can of worms I have opened. Thanks Guys for all the input. Kevin, as you probably can guess I also use independant control of each prop and can turn it around pretty good. This is just another gadget or gizmo if you will, that I wanted to add to the boat. As far as how much power they will have , If you believe the stats on this pump, pretty powerful. Thats why I ordered only one. Ill test it out first and If it seems doable, Ill proceed or look for another one.
    As far as whether it will work or not, Salvador Moran wrote an article for the SCR, notably December 2009, showing the good results he had on his Sheerline Akula which is 1/96. My Oscar is also 1/96 but somewhat bigger. Thats why high flow pumps will be needed. Whatever happens , I will take it. If I dont like it Ill take it out or make some changes. At any rate, its new territory for me so I wont get bored. The pump is supposed to be here first part of March. As usual, Ill share all my DEEP.......DARK.......Secrets with you.................dudes.
    Last edited by greenman407; 02-14-2014, 06:30 PM.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

I know it will work when the boat is still or going slow, which is where I plan on using it the most. However, If it,in concert with the rudders, will improve the turn radius, then there is some payback, and we can go from there. One thing that I want to experiment with is working at high forward speeds. If we change the angle that the water jet exits the hull we may increase or decrease its effectiveness. For example. If youve ever paddled a canoe, you know that if you want to turn , you can do it several ways. If you are sitting in the rear, you can use your oar as a rudder. Or you can just stick it in the water as your moving forward and rotate it until the widest profile of the oar is causing drag on that side and the bow will come around. Therefore if the stern jets are pointed forward by, say 30 degrees, it will cause drag on that side. How much?..............we will see.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Mark,
        i will be the last one to say don't do it. It is experimenting like that bring new innovations. Go for it!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• KevinMc
          Commander
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by greenman407
          Kevin, as you probably can guess I also use independant control of each prop and can turn it around pretty good. This is just another gadget or gizmo if you will, that I wanted to add to the boat.
          I couldn't recall if you'd done the diff throttles or not so I wanted to point out doing the easy stuff before cutting more holes in your hull.

As Tom says, far be it for me to try to dissuade anyone from trying something out on their boat. I can't wait to hear about your results!
          Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
          KMc Designs

Comment

• reddevil
            Commander
            • Jun 2009

Of course an independent propeller control combined with a thurster and adequate rudder movements will allow you to move the sub sideway. That's one of the most funny and spectacular maneuvres you can do with a ship fitted with all those items. Modern supply ships and tugs do have them, operated through a computer, and all you have to do is move a joystick to move the ship exactly corresponding how you moved the joystick (incluiding turns). This gives you total and easier control.

Comment

• KevinMc
              Commander
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by reddevil
              Modern supply ships and tugs do have them, operated through a computer, and all you have to do is move a joystick to move the ship exactly corresponding how you moved the joystick (incluiding turns). This gives you total and easier control.
              And there in lies the problem - I can say from personal experience that I found managing two throttles and the rudder was detracting from my enjoyment of running, I can't imagine adding a couple of side thrusters to the mix. Of course I recognize that everyone gets their jollies from a different aspect of the hobby so what was driving me nuts may be exactly what Mark is looking for and I look forward to hearing the results of his experiments.
              KMc Designs

Comment

• KevinMc
                Commander
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by reddevil
                Modern supply ships and tugs do have them, operated through a computer, and all you have to do is move a joystick to move the ship exactly corresponding how you moved the joystick (incluiding turns). This gives you total and easier control.
                And there in lies the problem - I can say from personal experience that I found managing two throttles and the rudder was detracting from my enjoyment of running, I can't imagine adding a couple of side thrusters to the mix. Of course I recognize that everyone gets their jollies from a different aspect of the hobby so what was driving me nuts may be exactly what Mark is looking for and I look forward to hearing the results of his experiments.
                KMc Designs

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

AMEN...........................god help me

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jan 2013

On the twin throttle subject I run a modified Turnigy 9X Tx on CGN9 with twin throttle sticks (thx Oztruck!!) I can spin the 3m cruiser on the spot, pull perfect docking maneuvers(most of the time!winds permitting...I also get told off for showing off and going to fast....) For a big twin screw Russian (Oscar or Typhoon) I would invest in a FC16/ or F14 set with the twin stick setup (get em while ya can....) I think Rob over in Perth drives his Typhoon with an F14Navy Tx. With the great width between props 'tank' steering should assist enormously...

Click image for larger version

Name:	moded9xD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	90017
                    My two Surface unit Tx's

Cheers Bruce

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Thanks Bruce. That looks like it would be helpful. Oh Well, Ive already made my investment.
                      At any rate I received the test pump today. Ill be testing it tomorrow to see how much "push" it has.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Well, I was hoping for more thrust but, I guess that its enough to try it. In the bathtub,as you can see, it sends out a stream of water 2 to 3 ft. long. I reduced the output tube size to a little less than 1/4" to achieve this. Ill do that again so that I can use 9/32" brass tube to exit the hull. I just today ordered three more pumps. After they arrive and are tested then Ill order the electronic switches and begin the installation.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 332.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	90137

Comment

• crazygary
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2012

Wow!!

Pretty sweet results there, greenman407!

Hope your latest find works well for you!!!

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Thanks Gary. Here we are with the pump. A trip to Lowes yielded good results on the plumbing of this thing. I was going to buy a bunch of brass round tube that slides nicely within each other and make a reducer. It was going to cost $32 to go that route. IM NOT MADE OF MONEY............ya know. Lowes had the answer with this 3/8" nylon hose. Ill silicone it inside the pump exhaust nozzle. Its a good fit over the 9/32" Brass tube that ill use as an exit nozzle jet. Im going to set nozzles on all four corners, and use one pump at each corner. On each corner Im going to install two nozzles, one at 90 degrees and one at 35 degrees angling away from the center of the boat. I will explore the various nozzles and If the force is too high ,Ill put a resister inline electrically.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 515.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	90283Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 514.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	90284Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 512.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	90285Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 510.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	90286
                            Last edited by greenman407; 03-05-2014, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I dont know whats wrong with the pictures but they dont display unless you click on them. At any rate there is plenty of room to put the pumps in between the Subdriver and the inside hull wall.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 507.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	90287Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 505.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	90288Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 502.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	90289

Comment

• crazygary
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2012

Good find, Greenman407!

I*** we can think it, we can git 'er done!!

Nice!!!

Comment

Working...