Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Im kinda between a rock and a hard place on that one. I cant find a body shop thats willing to do it and I dont blame them. My testing with other clear coats have produced unsatisfactory results with appearance. I have had excellent results with the Floquil. Since I know of no other alternative Im going to spray it with the Floquil and just be careful not to run it into anything. A scratch or two here or there just adds character. An even exchange the last time it had a s****e with a Los Angelos class. It just ocurred to me that on the large decals I could spray them over with the Polyurethane and then the next day spray everything over with the floquil to even things out. I might try that.
    Last edited by greenman407; 10-12-2011, 10:14 AM.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Yep, I think that Ill do that. But first Ill have to run some tests. Ill spray some gloss polyurethane on and let it dry on a test piece. Then Ill come back with the floquil and spray over that. If that works then I will tape off the surrounding areas around the larger decals and spray the decal area only with the Urethane. After it dries Ill remove the tape and spray all with the clear flat Floquil. That will introduce a delay into my schedule but I think that it will be worth it.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Mist coats to start -- don't melt your dry-transfers. Run the clear-coat test on a discarded model using the same methodology you plan to use on your OSCAR.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

The over the weekend tests on the polyurethane over the decals then covered with Floquil flat is finished. It came out well so I am applying the polyurethane over the decals as we speak. Since there are no decals on the lower part of the lower hull, I sprayed that last Friday. Looks good..
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 237.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	64796Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 238.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	64797

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Mark this has been very enjoyable to follow. This boat is constantly coming alive - good job, looks like an interesting boat for art work. The more I look at it the more I think the Russians turned this over to a Tattoo parlour worker and and said knock yourself out.
            Well done
            J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Thank you John, its been a long a trying road. There were a lot of outside influences that caused this project to take so long. The model itself was not so bad. As you know, I had this sub operational long before the painting and detailing work began. So, I should be able to put it back in the water and adjust the trim and it'll be ready to go again. The present schedule has it that it'll be done by this weekend at the present rate that the work is progressing.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I would not recommend this sub to everyone. If you buy one you are pretty much on your own as factory support is non-existent. Kevin Mcleod has provided me with some of his Oscar parts and that has helped to bridge the gap. If you need decals or props or other parts from Scaleships.............forget it.Give him a soapbox! However the quality of most of it is very good. It will be displayed proudly and prominently in my home.
                Last edited by greenman407; 10-18-2011, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Ive changed my mind..................again. There are a lot of decals. It doesnt make since after all this to just coat the big ones and leave the rest to peel over time. Im going to polyurethane coat all of them. Thatll take some time. Ill do two or three a day. It req. taping off the area around the decal and spraying it. That means that it wont be ready in time for Blue Springs next week, I dont think. We will see.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Taping off and spraying the big one.

Name:	Transfer 239.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	64852
                    And here is the sail completed and sprayed clear flat. Kinda hard to see. It worked well. It toned down the gloss shine and made the details stand out.

Name:	Transfer 246.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	64853

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Oh, that's beautiful, Mark. You da man!

(but, you're still old!).

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Anuci
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2008

Ditto! Very nice indeed.

Comment

• oztruck
                          Commander
                          • May 2010

Looking very good, pat yourself on the back,well done.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Thanks to all. I just turned 51 a couple of days ago and im not happy about it. Where has all the time gone, I ask myself? At least I still have my health......................I think?

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Belated Happy Birthday!
                              Peace,
                              tom
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• reddevil
                                Commander
                                • Jun 2009

I did to 49 a month ago and my hair line is also tooooo far away back (here we call it "ample brow"). Happy birthday. Please, keep coming with the hatchway in the bridge; it's the same arrangement than in AKULA II. I've been dealing with some different ways to do it but none convinced me.

Comment

Working...