Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

ARIBA...........ARIBA............ANDALE" ANDALE' YEEHAA....YEHAAA!!!(speedy Gonzalez dialog nomenclature imitation yall)Click image for larger version

Name:	Speedy-Gonzalez-laboratorio.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	91516
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Yesterday, I got her back together briefly for a test. With the new (broken in) motors installed, it showed a 15% increase in thrust. Cool!
      So then I opened up the impeller pods to get at the impellers themselves. As you can see from the pictures I posted yesterday, I am installing longer shafts and the thrust bearings. Ill get it closed and sealed back up in a couple of days for another test. Ive got a 540 motor builder called "Team Brood" looking into the cost and feasibility of custom building me a couple of motors for this thing. If I like them Ill get two also for the upcoming Albacore repowering project. They are High Torque low speed 27 turn handwound motors with a long un-machined shaft. Full bearings, adjustable timing and standup brushes.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
        Yesterday, I got her back together briefly for a test. With the new (broken in) motors installed, it showed a 15% increase in thrust. Cool!
        So then I opened up the impeller pods to get at the impellers themselves. As you can see from the pictures I posted yesterday, I am installing longer shafts and the thrust bearings. Ill get it closed and sealed back up in a couple of days for another test. Ive got a 540 motor builder called "Team Brood" looking into the cost and feasibility of custom building me a couple of motors for this thing. If I like them Ill get two also for the upcoming Albacore repowering project. They are High Torque low speed 27 turn handwound motors with a long un-machined shaft. Full bearings, adjustable timing and standup brushes.
        I'll be watching this thread with re-newed interest, Mark.

27-turn! You nut! Don't smoke that ESC.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Thats what Im trying to work out. The two ESCs a rated at 20 amps. I dont know,....could be close. Also He tells me that a 27 turn of his variety would equal 15,000 RPM. At 3 to 1 ratio, we are talking about 5000 RPM....no load. At that point I could put in the 4 bladed impellers that you sent me. We will see. At anyrate we will know what these 12 volt motors are going to do here soon.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I fear you're going to bend those blades.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

OH......................................well,...I. .....uh.....

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I did order those motors by the way. Two week lead time. Also I drilled two holes for easy access to the thrust bearings so that I can blow out the water and inject "Blaster" and light weight oil to lube. This of course is on the bottom. In the upcoming test in the kiddie pool ill see how much water is coming out of the holes to determine if I will cover them by some means or not.
                Impellers and thrust bearings in, and covers back in place.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1108.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	91518Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1110.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	91519

Comment

• Aug 2008

You are one stubborn SOB, Mark! ... I would have tossed that hull into a wood-chipper years ago!!!!

Never say die!

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

BE CAREFUL! SSHHHHHHHH! Dont let Rick Teskey here you say that. ssshhhhhhh..........

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

A little bit Today. Pretty much got it put back together. I will test her in the INFAMOUS kiddie pool, under the shade tree, tommorrow. We will see how much of an increase we get in thrust. Following that an actual submerged test, to see if the motors overheat on a sustained run.
                      It will be a couple of weeks before the much vaunted, modified 540 motors get here. Ill post all of that stuff, right here, so yall dont go too far now ya hear.
                      Last edited by greenman407; 06-05-2014, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

How much difference did the Thrust bearings on the Impellers make? Are you ready for this???? A almost 50% increase was realized in todays test. Not only is that going to make her faster, its also going to help keep the temperature of the motors down. Just to recap a couple of days ago, I installed two new 12 volt motors from Caswell and took the time to break them in first. That situation netted a 15% increase in thrust over the previous 12 volt motors from Caswell that were not broken in.
                        So the original Speed 400 motors and 4 bladed impellers in this thing, from 5 or 6 years ago, gave me 3 ounces of thrust. It moved it but you had to run full throttle to make you feel that you were going somewhere, you know.....like saving the World. At Davids suggestion I cut two blades off the impellers, and that got us up to 4.5 ounces. When I moved up to the 540 twelve volt motors, it put us at 8 ounces of thrust. With the Thrust bearings, we are now at 15 ounces. Not bad. We will run it like this next week and see how she does as well as monitor the temperature of those motors. From there we will decide whether or not to install the new superwind motors that I have coming. I can always put them in the Dual prop Albacore.
                        Last edited by greenman407; 06-05-2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

This is very interesting about the thrust bearings and your findings deserve reward. I suggest fame (and maybe not fortune) will now be yours, but only if you write us up a cabal report with diagrams and photos so the less able can benefit from your work! We'll publish it in our knowledge base with full accolades.

:-)
                          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by greenman407
                            We will run it like this next week and see how she does as well as monitor the temperature of those motors. From there we will decide whether or not to install the new superwind motors that I have coming.
                            OR add some hydroplanes and get that sub skimming the surface. Way to go Mark! I look forward to more info. I think you did some amazing work in hunting down and improving the performance issues.
                            Kudos to you!
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I hate you!

M
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Cabal Report.........................Me??? Thanks for the confidence and the opportunity. We will see. In the meantime, I start a new job for a Geo-technical firm in less than two weeks, so I will have less time on my hands than I have had. And I still have so much to do.

Comment

Working...