Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

The motor you linked to will run hotter than hades on 12v, too fast, plus it's blooming expensive.

500 size.Will give you 5000RPM unloaded shaft speed geared 3:1.

Bit slower-

Last edited by Subculture; 05-29-2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Thanks Andy. I was going to reduce the voltage on those motors to 2 cell LIPO (7.4)since they are rated for 7.2 volts as most cars are. The good thing about the first link you showed was that the shaft is 20mm long. Much better.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Those people wont ship to the U.S. Ill look over here at our Ebay.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by greenman407
          Those people wont ship to the U.S. Ill look over here at our Ebay.
          Ahh, okay sorry about that, didn't spot the U.S as an exclusion. I've ordered from them and found the products good.

If you want to go for a car motor, then you should be looking at either a 45t or 55t motor.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Our Ebay has nothing like that, that I can find. The links that you posted give some useful info about the motors, so that you can make a informed choice about what you are buying.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Thanks. If youll notice this link, it shows the relative speeds of brushed motors.A 55 turn is 7700 RPM. If you run a 3 to 1 gear ratio thats only 2567 RPM and thats no load. It would drop under load. According to the chart, their 28 turn would turn 14,500 no load. At 3 to 1 that would be 4833 RPM no load. Perhaps that would be better.http://www.ansmann-racing.de/cms/eng...ic-motors.html
              Last edited by greenman407; 05-29-2014, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

At another site, their 35 turn turns 1450 RPM per volt. So thats 10,150 divided by three gives us 3383 RPM, perhaps a little slow. I dont know.

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

I thought you were running a 12 volt system- that's what I was basing my figures on.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Well, I was, but it wont hurt anything, if need be to take out a 3s batt and put in a 2s and retrim. If need be. As it is , it looks like I wont have any choice. I like those EBAY/UK motors that you posted a link to but I cant buy them.

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Very easy to work out a ballpark figure for what you're looking for too.

Simple bit of mathmatics- multiply the pitch of the prop in inches by the RPM, then divide by 1408. This gives you a mph figure equal to 25% prop slip.

So for instance lets say your props are about 1:1 pitch to diameter ratio (many model props are but pitch can vary from about 0.8-1.6 times diameter)

1.56*5000/1408= 5.53mph

This is very simplistic, as lots of other factors like the drag of the hull and prop blade area alter the balance, but it gives you a good basis to select motors. Generally for direct drive, the motor can should be 75% or greater the diameter of the prop for it to spin it easily. Again there are other factors that can alter that, especially if using brushless motors, but for the type of motors being used here it works fairly well.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

I just have a hard time understanding why those 12 volt motors have such a hardtime turning those little empellors, especially at 3 to 1. I took one of the motors apart and looked at the brushes. You can see where the brushes were only touching the comm. in two small places. That has to effect motor operation. Maybe I just need to break in the new Caswell 12 volt motors and install them and note the improvement.Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush zoom.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	91496Click image for larger version

Name:	armature zoom.JPG
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	91497Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1007.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	91498Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1008.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	91499

Comment

• MFR1964
                          Detail Nut of the First Order
                          • Sep 2010

That is looking familiar, happened to me with my balance device inside the type VII, was trying to run a12v motor on 6 volts, it did work for some time, only eating away the brushes.
                          It has to do with the current, power is voltage times current, for example, your motor has 60 watt of power, the current at 12 volt will be 5A, at 6 volt this will be 10A, this high current will eat away your brushes.
                          Always try to get the voltage of your battery as near as possible to the pecs of your motor, 7.2 volts will kill your motor on the short term, unless you use a 6v motor.
                          Replaced my 12v for a 6v motor and it is still running great, done this 5 years ago.

Manfred.
                          I went underground

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

I got the math!
                            Power = voltage X current
                            60w = 12v X 5amp.
                            60w = 6v X 10amp.
                            60w = 7.2v X 8.3amp
                            does running a 6v motor at 7.2v cause a problem?
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
                              Detail Nut of the First Order
                              • Sep 2010

Yes, that can be done, but not for long periods on full throttle, most of the time we don't drive on full throttle, so in general your 6v motor will last for a longer period.

Manfred.
                              I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Another thing that we are dealing with is lack of ventilation. Our motors are all sealed up inside the Subdriver. It has been said that for good health an RC motor should not go above 130 degrees F. Motors in your RC car get good ventalation going down the track. So it would seem that you need a motor that can handle your prop with power to spare so that you dont get too much heat buildup.

Comment

Working...