Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

I managed to get the rudders installed. Because of the shape of the original rudder, these new add on rudders dont run parallel to each other. Perhaps it will create a ventura effect and increase their effectiveness. We will see.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 559.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	66823Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 560.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	66824
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Just found some long lost pictures of the Seaview in its early stages. Here she is in my makeshift paint booth using one of the bosses old sheets to keep paint off the garage floor.

Name:	Seaview paint.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	66939Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview paint booth.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	66940

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Im getting the itch again. Im wanting to lower the Subdriver down inside as low as possible. That way, Im hoping it will float higher in the water. Right now the subdriver is mounted 5/8" up off the bottom of the inside hull. If I could lower it down 1/2" I think that will raise the boat 1/2" in the water. I Hope.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

I'll get that new 3" SD to you soon, Mark.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Thatll be COOL!

Comment

• ADDINGTON
              Lieutenant
              • Sep 2008

Mark,
              I had similar designs with the DeBoer80 (my tank eventually sat right down on the keel) and would tell you that every effort to lower the ballast tank that increases floodable volume below the surfaced trimline will be rewarded
              and well worth it.
              I am anxious to see your results with best success wishes.
              -Kerry

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Thanks Kerry!

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

I have an appointment with AL NUCI at Oscar Scherer state park in their Sulfur Springs swimming area on 5-23-12. There we will test out the new rudder on the Seaview. As youll recall the Oscar didnt like the sulfur content of the water and didnt perform well. The Seaview has the same model 8 channel receiver from Polk. Itll be interesting to see whether it acts similarly. After running it , it will probably enthuse me enough to go ahead and lower the WTC in the hull.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I have not forgotten about that 3" SD, Mark. Just as soon as I get a minute, I'll finish that project.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Yep, you are just like me in that respect, more to do than time to do it in.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Bad News. I pulled the Seaview out and prepped her for a run today. I looked into the bottom of the hull and realized immediately that there is no chance of lowering the WTC down into the hull any further. The reason being is that this hull is relatively flat on the bottom as compared to a boat that has a deep hull like a Gato. So when you sit her in the water she tends to lean heavily, first this way and then that way. So to make her sit more stable in the water I put some stick on weights in the very bottom of the hull. Those weights, (which are doing a good job of stabilizing her) take up space. So at this point there is only enough room to drop the WTC about 1/8". Not hardly worth the effort.

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Bummer! (I am 2 characters short so I added this additional text)
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

The other thing is that I havent had this boat in the water for quite some time yet I use the same transmitter(Polk) for the Albacore and the Oscar as well. Well, imagine my surprise when I switched the Polk over to control a different model(Seaview) , the radio, which is supposed to hold all your settings had not done so. I had to go in and change servo direction on the right hand drive and put in some end point adjustments on the rudder as the old settings somehow got lost. Also, I dont know if its related or not but the Subtek APC had to be adjusted because it was biased to the down side. The Subtek failsafe was also balky but now its working well. I guess thats what happens when you let cob webs grow. Then while I was running it the right hand drive stripped out. Ill have to go in and see what happened. In the meentime me and Al Nuci are going to meet up at Oscar Scherers State Park tomorrow. That with the Seaview having a broken leg. Should we shoot her and put her out of her misery. NAH! Shes a Thoroughbred, she'll heel.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I have not forgotten to produce that 3" WTC for you, Mark. It's in the 'rotation'.

Maybe you should consider putting a 2.5 SD in there -- will give the flexibility to crame more weight and foam in the annular space -- it's amazing how useful an extra quarter-inch of space around that cylinder will permit you to do in the way of increasing the metacentric height.

I've seen video of this site you an Al are going to. God, I would love to operate in that place. Have fun! Take lots of stills and video too, you bum!

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

I bought this underwater video camera a while back and have never used it. Tomorrow will be the day.

Name:	Transfer 022.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	67546Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 023.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	67547

Comment

Working...