X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
    Does the speed make much difference to a model submarine? It's a log in the water at best.
    yeah, more amps
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
      yeah, more amps
      AH! I guess I'll get Mr. M to do his amp stall test on these new motors, so we have a definite amperage result on them.

(Something I forgot to get done)
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Kazzer
        Does the speed make much difference to a model submarine? It's a log in the water at best.
        If the difference was a within 500RPM I'd say no, but with more than 50% increase RPM, it will make a big difference. Depending on the props and/or gearing being run, the motors may bog down and overheat, and as Albion pointed out draw a lot more current. It would be an excellent motor for converting an old 3.0 SD to 12 volt operation though as the RPM matches up very well with the 7.2v speed 400.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

OK, now, this will be the $5000.00 question. I use both port and starboard motors independantly to help steer this thing and turn it around. Can a brushless motor go forward and reverse?
          Last edited by greenman407; 12-05-2011, 10:14 AM.
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

My quick answer is Yes, you will need to make sure the brushless ESC does reverse.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Be aware that brushless motors don't answer quite so quickly to reverse commands as their brushed equivalents. They have to be stopped first then restarted the other way, so there is a slight (and I do mean slight) delay.

The brushless ESC I linked to in an earlier post is reversible.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Subculture, can you provide the link again to the ESC and the motors because I cant find it. Thanks

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Post number 12

BTW, that was just an example, plenty of other options on that site.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Ok Thanks I got it.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

This video was taken back in 2008. It was around the time that I was having a lot of trouble with the Seaview. It was eventually traced to incompatability between the onboard electronics and my Futaba PCM radio. After I purchased the Polk Tracker I have had no further problems.
                      Rick Teskey 52" Seaview being prepared for operation and a video run. Taken in Clearwater florida 2008
                      Last edited by greenman407; 04-10-2012, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

This one follows the other one as she was shown here misbehaving but operating nonetheless. These videos wont win any prize but lets be realistic, they wernt being made with that in mind.
                        Early on in my construction of this Rick Teskey 52" Seaview I had many radio and hardware difficultys. They were all solved one by one. This shows a brief gl...

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

The time has come to help the turning radius of this boat. Im going to make two add on rudders sized 1&3/4" long and 7/8" wide. They will be CAed ,one on each side of the central rudder underneath. By installing two of them it will form a trough that should increase their effectivness. The only downside, other than not being part of the original design, is that they will hang down below the keel a little bit. So unless I want to plow some furrows, Ill need to keep it up off the bottom.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 509.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	66760Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 510.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	66761
                          Last edited by greenman407; 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Rick Teskey
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jan 2009

Have you tried seperate speed controls and linked them too the rudders for differential steering?
                            I know Kevin makes a throttle jockey for this application.
                            Rick

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Oh yes Rick, that part works real good. I do that manually or I can sit still and swing her bow around ,NO PROBLEM. This is to reduce the turning radius when using the rudders alone.

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

As can be seen from the pictures, this boat is steered by the action of the water coming from the props over the rudders behind the propulsion tubes. As those rudders are configured now ,only part of the water stream can act on the rudders. If the rudders were hinged in their centers, then the rudders would be affected by the entire water stream. The center rudder is very small and pretty much hidden by the hull to the flow of the water. What I am doing is extending that rudder down into the flow of water beneath the hull where they will do more good.
                                Last edited by greenman407; 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...