X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by goshawk823
    David-
    I sent you an email from this site; not sure if you received it, but one of the questions I was asking was whether or not your system for this boat would allow space for torpedoes. Nice to see that you're making accommodations for it. I always thought this platform (whether 1/35. like this, or 1/24 like my other one from Bob) would be awesome for shooting torpedoes.
    That's right, I'm sizing the SD to permit installation of a 1/32-1/35 scale launcher. Hear that, Mike!.....
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

As I mentioned, there is a decided 'pinch' mid-hull. I elected to build up this depression and get the hull to a more uniform 'double-cylinder' form. I did this with a two-part Bondo-like automotive filler, followed by a scratch-fill with Nitro-Stan air-dry touch-up putty, which was sanded down, and the first of many primer coats applied with the air-brush.

Sure, I clobbered the raised weld lines. So what? They're over-stated anyway. Not sure if I'm going to rub them all off or not. If I want to retain them I'll re-build the ones lost during the filing and sanding with CA. We'll see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4235.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	76503Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4239.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	76504Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4240.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	76505Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4241.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	76506Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4243.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	76507Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4245.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	76508
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
        Detail Nut of the First Order
        • Sep 2010

Sir, i'm outraged!!!!, outraged!!! i say to you, this is clearly a act to sabotage me for getting in the water first, LOL

On the other hand i got some more time to prep up my next generation launchtubes, as you know i've got allready a working protoype, have to rebuild those styrene tubes to accept the new arrangement, it will take a few weeks to get this done.

That depression, is that the result of cutting her on the waterline?, checked up mine, but she is as straight as a arrow, have to take account for that if it's happening to me also.

I'll have to see about the non center of the drive shaft, i'll probably end up with lowering the SD, sliding in the SD does create some problems, but you warned me for that, love the challenge to make it work.

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by MFR1964
          David,
          I recalculated your ballasttank to metric, the volume will be about 400 ml for my XXIII
          Manfred.
          David,
          Playing with my math, that would make a 2.5" cylinder about 6 1/4" in length to give the 14 oz lift - did I get that correct?
          Peace,
          tom
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Blitz
            Ensign
            • Mar 2013

David,

I also sent you an email from the site. Not sure if you got it. Can you please contact me via email?

Thank you,
            Charles

Comment

• Warpatroller
              Lieutenant
              • Dec 2012

Below is a leaked photo that was taken recently, at Arizoniawerft, showing two Typ XXIII hulls suspended by cables from some sort of heavy lifting crane rig..

There is apparently some sort of U-Boat construction activity going on in AZ.. It is unknown, at this time, as to when these boats will be completed, or where they will end up patrolling..

Two sinister looking sisters, hanging in waiting.. I wouldn't want to be on any of the ships that encounter these bad-ass, beyotches at sea..

"Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• Kazzer
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                That's right, I'm sizing the SD to permit installation of a 1/32-1/35 scale launcher. Hear that, Mike!.....
                About time you got on with that project! I'll believe it when I see it!
                Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

You got it bad, don't you, Steve?!
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Got the closure system worked out for the upper and lower hull pieces. Basically, one set of capture tabs on one half, and another set of capture tabs on the other -- squeeze the upper hull piece a bit as it's installed and it pops into place up tight onto the lower hull. Neat.

Got the control surface, propeller shaft foundation, and Sub-driver foundation masters in primer-gray. Tool making tomorrow.

Name:	DSCF4432.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	76626Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4434.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	76627Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4437.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	76628Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4440.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	76629Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4444.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	76630
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Time has come to stick things together, toss this piglet into the water and verify that the SD has enough ballast tank and that the linkages work as designed. But, before I can do that I need the parts. Today I started making the tools needed to produce production resin parts of the control surfaces, propeller foundation, and SD foundations.

The initial in-water trials can be done while the plastic parts are in the raw. I'll make the Type-23 look pretty at a later date, time permitting.

Name:	DSCF4446.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	76632Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4448.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	76633Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4451.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	76634Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4455.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	76635Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4462.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	76637

And would someone PLEASE tell Ellie to stop slamming me in the face with that damned stick!!! ..... its distracting.

Name:	DSCF4458.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	76636
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                        Detail Nut of the First Order
                        • Sep 2010

Excellent work on the masters David, Ellie aim for the weak parts!!!!!, it will buy me some extra time to get in the water first, you go girl!!!!!

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Ellie stop hitting David with that little stick, get something bigger like a bat or paddle.
                          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Go and finish your Kilo!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                              Go and finish your Kilo!
                              Hah! Hear that, Romel???

Oh, and all you *******s in Ellie's corner: F off!

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Warpatroller
                                Lieutenant
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                You got it bad, don't you, Steve?!
                                David, there is something about this boat that, well, made me get two of them.. What can I say, I like them!

When I first saw you make your hull cut, I wasn't sure how clean and well fitting the two pieces would end up being. They look to fit together now like they were made that way to begin with! The problem with your technique is, can the average guy (which includes me) duplicate your efforts in that part of the conversion.. Without it looking like a hack job.

I am off to San Francisco for a business trip tomorrow morning. Will be gone for a week.. When I get back, your boat will have probably completed its sea trials!

Next step will be a torpedo launcher and functional torpedoes.

What about retractable masts? Seems like your sub-driver tube would block the scope and schnorkel from fully retracting. I think they would need to lower down into the ballast tank region of the tube. Maybe Manfred will attempt to make the masts functional on his..

Steve
                                "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

Working...