Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Warpatroller
    Mike - I placed an order for the Bronco XXIII kit today. For two of them! I hope you have them in stock and ready to go :biggrin:

By they way, you have the model listed on your site as being 1:32 scale, it is actually 1:35 scale.. Just a typo I assume..

Steve
    Yes, they should be going out on Friday. Thanks

And I spotted my error only an hour or so ago, but thanks for letting me know. It's definitely 1:35
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by vital.spark
      Mike, I checked out the web page and didn't see anything regarding a fittings kit from David for the XXIII?

Like Outrider, I'm still interested and waiting for the 1" subdriver and fittings kit for the 214 and other small sub's!

Regards,

Myron
      Yes, HWSNBN is still slogging away in The Cave. I'm waiting on the photos for the Fittings Kit before I load the info to the web site.

I presume you mean the 1.25" Sub-driver? That's been available in two forms for some time.

The single/dual prop unit is a static diver

And the dynamic diver is

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Warpatroller
        Lieutenant
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Kazzer
        Yes, HWSNBN is still slogging away in The Cave. I'm waiting on the photos for the Fittings Kit before I load the info to the web site.
        HWSNBN has already completed the masters for the XXIII fittings kit, including the almighty propeller?? He indicated, only three days ago, that he did not even have a kit in hand yet.. I know he works miracles, but I didn't know he was that fast!! He needs a kit in his hands to size things up properly!

Based on info on the real boat's prop, that I obtained a few years ago, I came up with 56mm for the prop at 1:32 scale. Which would be 51mm at 1:35. My 32nd P. boat's stock prop is 44mm (which definitely looks too small in diameter when mounted on the tail). 32P originally outfitted the boat with an even smaller 40mm prop, being directly driven by a 40mm diameter 12VDC Pittman motor. They subsequently enlarged the prop to 44mm. They probably were trying to size the prop for the direct drive Pittman motor, instead of making it to scale with the real boat's prop. It has the helical twist, but otherwise does not look like the real deal.

I'd like to know what David has decided on for his replacement prop diameter.. When he is done, I expect to see the best model XXIII propeller constructed by man (or God)! One that captures the look of the photos I posted!
        "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

It will. And thank you for your effort digging out the information for us.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Outrider
            Commander
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            Any other discrepancies in the kit that will get fixed via fittings?

Fixed torpedo doors or moveable? (I know you're thinking about it...)

Does the polystyrene in the hull seem thick enough to give a good service life in RC use?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'll have a kit in hand about this time next week. Then, all things will be revealed. I have not forgotten your Type-214, Jim. The 'new' static type SD is being checked out in it. Bout time I caught up on this and other projects I've promised guys.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Outrider
                Commander
                • Aug 2008

Thanks for the update. The 1:35 Type XXIII is an incredibly fortunate development for this hobby. It's really something extraordinary. Bronco picked an interesting subject. The size of the model seems to be at a real sweet spot. Big, but not too big. Polystyrene is easy to work with for novices. Kit pricing is great, especially considering what you're getting. Others must agree...look how quickly this thread built up. No pressure, but there are clearly plenty of folks interested in bringing this kit to life. I think this one is going to be big.

Nice to hear that you are continuing to develop the smaller SDs. Hopefully the -214 is a good test bed. Any photos of sea trials? I'm still convinced that a small sub has plenty of merits...some times lack of size matters. And kit supply for the 1:144 boats seems pretty stable as compared to the 1:72 market. So, hopefully, this effort will be of some worth.

BTW, when Revell initially killed the 1:72 Type VIIs, I thought the day of big sub kits from the industry's major players was about to pass. But we have one of the Revell Type VIIs back (any stock, though?), a promised Revell 1:72 Type IX, the Moebius 1:72 Skipjack, and now the 1:35 Bronco. Maybe things are not so bad, after all.
                Last edited by Outrider; 03-03-2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Warpatroller
                  Lieutenant
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  In an earlier post I said, "I came up with 56mm for the prop at 1:32 scale. Which would be 51mm at 1:35." I still have been unable to locate the diameter of the full-size boat's propeller. I had it a few years ago but seemed to have misplaced or lost the info. I have a measurement of 23mm for the 1:72 scale Special Navy XXIII prop. I think Special Navy did a better job on the prop than Bronco. Based on the SN prop, it would be 47.3mm at 1:35. So somewhere in the range of 47mm to 51mm. With that info, plus the photos I posted, you should be able to come up with a nice prop that blows the Bronco piece out of the water. I am confident you will even trump the OTW XXIII prop as well!

One of my favorite boats, with a prop and fittings being made for it by one of the best in the business.. This is exciting!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Damned right!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Today's work on the Bronco 1/35 Type-23 fittings kit masters:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3989.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	76402Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3990.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	76403Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3997.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	76404Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4003.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	76405Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4006.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	76406Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4011.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	76407Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4014.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	76408Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4015.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	76409Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4017.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	76410
                      Last edited by Kazzer; 03-09-2013, 04:14 AM.
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Warpatroller
                        Lieutenant
                        • Dec 2012

Nice! There is the master for the prop hub! I see it looks like you are going with the 51mm prop diameter. How much clearance does that allow between the tip of the blades and the upper and lower tail? I won't have my kits until Tuesday, so I don't know the measurement between the upper and lower tail on the model. I assume the 51mm looked better when compared to the photos than the 47mm? I thought the 51mm might be a bit too large, but perhaps not..

Could you explain what those isosceles triangle shapes are for?

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

So access to the SD will be via Z-cut through the hull.
                          Can't wait to see your fittings for working the rudder post.
                          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Nice! There is the master for the prop hub! I see it looks like you are going with the 51mm prop diameter. How much clearance does that allow between the tip of the blades and the upper and lower tail? I won't have my kits until Tuesday, so I don't know the measurement between the upper and lower tail on the model. I assume the 51mm looked better when compared to the photos than the 47mm? I thought the 51mm might be a bit too large, but perhaps not..

I'll refine the diameter later -- note the concentric circles on the profile drawing of the projected blades, the outer one represents your 51mm, the inner one the 47mm version. I'll build a disc place-holder, fit it to the hull then eye-ball the fit back there for both 51 and 47mm.

This morning I'll carve out the blade master, do a trial fit to the hub and again check clearance to the rudder posts.

Each of those triangles describes the angle of the blade at a specific radius point -- a means of graphically determining the radius angles along the span of a constant-pitch type propeller. The chart also identifies the projected width of the blade at each selected radius point --information needed to plot developed shape of the blade.
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                              So access to the SD will be via Z-cut through the hull.
                              Can't wait to see your fittings for working the rudder post.
                              That was a tentative study. I'm now thinking of a waterline split.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

How does this look? between blade tip and inside of rudder posts is 5mm

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4020.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	76411Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4023.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	76412Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4025.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	76413Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4026.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	76414Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4027.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	76415
                                Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-09-2013, 12:29 PM.
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...