Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Wow, you're getting at it David, keep running around your cave, i will be watching over your shoulder.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

With Manfred and Warpatroller looking over my shoulder and sticking a cattle-prod up my butt every now and then, how can this project (1/35 Type-23 fittings kit) go wrong!?....
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
        Detail Nut of the First Order
        • Sep 2010

David,

By just looking over your shoulders i learn a lot, go get her done!!!, and you won't be surpriced if i said that also something is growing in my Skunkworks, not yet ready to be posted, stil designing, building and tinkering.

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• goshawk823
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2010

I just ordered one of these from Mike. Aside from a working prop, what else are you going to include in your detail set, David?
          -Sam
          EDIT: - just looked back through the pages of this thread I missed. Great stuff on the prop difference, the snort head and boat's being dissimilar. Time to dig out my copy of "Vom Original" and my other Type XXIII reference material...This has always been one of my favorite classes of U-Boats.
          Last edited by goshawk823; 03-09-2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Warpatroller
            Lieutenant
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            How does this look? between blade tip and inside of rudder posts is 5mm

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19092[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19093[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19094[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19095[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19096[/ATTACH]
            I was going to do the same thing with my kits once I receive them, as in put a disk back there to check the overall size.

I assume that disk is 51mm? I wouldn't go larger in diameter than that. If that is the 51mm, try a 47mm disk for comparison.

It is now annoying me that I have not been able to find that diameter measure of the real prop. I recall it being posted on the Subcommittee forum, probably in Jeff's U-Boat Pen section.. I might go ahead and become a paid, official Subcommittee member to access the U-Boat Pen section of the site. I believe Sam (who has been posting on here) is already a member. Sam should be able to look it up immediately (if it is still on there). Only issue with going by the real diameter, is who knows how accurate the distance between the rudder supports is on the model.. If that is off, then the diameter of the real prop goes out the window.

The final call, of course, is going to be yours, by eyeballing the clearance and the look, based on the photos. If that is 51mm, in your photos, that is pretty close, it is definitely not too small, but possibly a bit too large. I'd say test the fit with a 47mm disk to compare, and maybe even settle on 49mm, if that looks too small..

The length you have for the hub looks perfect!

Out of curiosity, what is the diameter of the Bronco stock prop?
            "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by goshawk823
              I just ordered one of these from Mike. Aside from a working prop, what else are you going to include in your detail set, David?
              -Sam
              EDIT: - just looked back through the pages of this thread I missed. Great stuff on the prop difference, the snort head and boat's being dissimilar. Time to dig out my copy of "Vom Original" and my other Type XXIII reference material...This has always been one of my favorite classes of U-Boats.
              Let's see:

two foundations to mount the sail to the hull with machine screws; new control surfaces with installed operating shafts; rack-and-pinion linkage to operate rudder; several SD foundations (which will also stiffen up the lower hull; torpedo nest bulkhead; torpedo tube foundation; propeller, bell cranks ...
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Warpatroller
                I was going to do the same thing with my kits once I receive them, as in put a disk back there to check the overall size.

I assume that disk is 51mm? I wouldn't go larger in diameter than that. If that is the 51mm, try a 47mm disk for comparison.

It is now annoying me that I have not been able to find that diameter measure of the real prop. I recall it being posted on the Subcommittee forum, probably in Jeff's U-Boat Pen section.. I might go ahead and become a paid, official Subcommittee member to access the U-Boat Pen section of the site. I believe Sam (who has been posting on here) is already a member. Sam should be able to look it up immediately (if it is still on there). Only issue with going by the real diameter, is who knows how accurate the distance between the rudder supports is on the model.. If that is off, then the diameter of the real prop goes out the window.

The final call, of course, is going to be yours, by eyeballing the clearance and the look, based on the photos. If that is 51mm, in your photos, that is pretty close, it is definitely not too small, but possibly a bit too large. I'd say test the fit with a 47mm disk to compare, and maybe even settle on 49mm, if that looks too small..

The length you have for the hub looks perfect!

Out of curiosity, what is the diameter of the Bronco stock prop?
                Listen to yourself! I'm calling the anal-retentive police on you! 50mm it is. Done!
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Warpatroller
                  Lieutenant
                  • Dec 2012

Listen to yourself! I'm calling the anal-retentive police on you! 50mm it is. Done!
                  I just became a Subcommittee member, only to find my old post from 5 years ago in the "General" non-member section of the forum lol. I had answered a question asked by Kazzer, of all people, regarding propeller diameters..

The 1:1 XXIII Propeller diameter is 180cm!

1:35 = 51.42mm! So, 51mm should do it! Regardless of the Anal-Retentive Gestapo, this XXIII fittings kit must be a masterpiece of craftsmanship, so it is worth stressing some over the fine details.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Agreed, I can do the bit-over-51mm thing. I've got the finished blade blank in rubber, should have the three bladed propeller master almost done by bedi-by time.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

update:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4035.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	76416Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4036.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	76417Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4039.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	76418Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4042.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	76419Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4049.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	76420Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4050.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	76421Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4058.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	76422
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Warpatroller
                        Lieutenant
                        • Dec 2012

Excellent! I was looking at the photo again of U2326 laying on your table. You can see a blade at the six o'clock position directly above the lower rudder support. Manfred posted a copy of this photo in his thread showing good detail back there. I think you have nailed it Sir! Looking great!

Some info regarding the boat in the photo - U2326 was surrendered at Dundee, Scotland in May of 1945. She later became the British submarine N35. Was given to the French in 1946, where she sunk, in early December 1946, during an accident at Toulon. As such, I believe she is still resting there as a military grave..

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yes, Warpatroller, I think were reasonably close. This closes out today's work. And that's it for the weekend -- tomorrow I catch up on some long promised work for Mamas: SD's for his fantastic STINGRAY.

Name:	DSCF4062.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	76423Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4063.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	76424Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4068.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	76425Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4070.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	76426Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4075.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	76427Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4079.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	76428
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Warpatroller
                            Lieutenant
                            • Dec 2012

Yes, Warpatroller, I think were reasonably close. This closes out today's work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19104[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19105[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19106[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19107[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19108[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19109[/ATTACH]
                            After reviewing your latest photos, I think you were too influenced by the Bronco hub when you fabricated yours.. This prop will end up on two of my models, so I am doing a little steering here.. Please bear with me. Hopefully you have not yet finalized the prop hub.. Even if you have to make a second one, it will be worth it, to have the most accurate looking XXIII prop on a functional RC model, made by you of course..

I did some Photoshop work to show my suggested modifications to your existing prototype hub:

1st Hub (Bronco Inspired) shown on boat

2nd Proposed Hub (GOD HUB) shown on boat

The Real Hub

Pattern for the GOD HUB

Will be watching with interest to see how this all turns out.. :pop

Comment

• Aug 2008

Now We're cooking! Great find, Warpatroller!

That one shot -- and particularly your good work pushing my hub onto that shot -- of the Type-23 in the air, so clearly showing the wheel, makes things crystal clear. And what a break: I was too tired last night (actually, early morning) to continue, so the existing hub is still virgin; I have not mounted any blades to it yet. So, it will be an easy matter to slap it once again on the lathe and turn the hub to the correct form.

Excellent work, my friend -- you're making me look good!

And, fortunately, I had not yet trimmed the blade blanks for the fat hub, so I can project their roots the extra 3mm or so to reach into the smaller diameter hub. Sometimes, things just work out! Your mastery of drawing tools, and determined researching has saved the day.

I thank you!

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Assembled propeller master. Not enough rake, and the lower pitch I selected (not wanting to over-burden the drive-train) account for the difference between the propeller aboard the Type-23-in-the-air and my propeller. **** it. I'm good with it.

Name:	DSCF4062.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	76431Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4063.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	76432Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4068.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB