Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a1965l
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Apr 2020

For a second there I thought you were talking about his big 688... you really would need a bigger shop for it! I have some 3d stuff I drew up and printed for mine, was going to offer, but it looks like his model is fairly complete. Lookin foward to your build log..
    "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• ben1272
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • May 2020

That's a 3d print? Whose is it? Looks real nice from this distance. <drool>

Comment

• SteveNeill
        Commander
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Rob, unlike so many others, you GET THINGS DONE! This pleases me no end. Better this stuff wind up in your capable hands than the local land-fill.

Go get 'em, Tiger!

David
        Yes indeed!

Comment

• SteveNeill
          Commander
          • Apr 2020

I see you got the power supply Rob. Great stuff. Great fun.

Comment

• SteveNeill
            Commander
            • Apr 2020

That worked out great Rob!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Rob,
              You are knocking out quickly. That is not a bad thing because it looks to me you are doing it right.
              Excellent work and thank you for documenting it. It helps new and old time sub hobbyist!
              Peace,
              Tom
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                Commander
                • Apr 2020

Yep! Works for me! I learned this exact method from David 14 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5731small.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	140366

Before

Name:	IMG-5513.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	140367

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

Looking good so far!

BTW, I just purchased my first delta printer this morning to replace my exploded Anycubic Chiron. I think it will be much better suited to printing subs with long, thinner hulls. Should be here in a couple of weeks.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2020

I ordered a printer on a whim from Creality and it turned out to be a mirror scam site. I hate it when I do stupid things. I should have looked more carefully at the URL as I usually do. I bothered me so much now I have a bad taste in my mouth for printers. I'll never get one now, almost didn't in the first place. But I have friends if I ever needed to have something printed. Meantime I have my 3D printer in my hands. Rob that looks great. Now do a Washington class and it will save me the trouble! LOL

Comment

• RanSan
                      Lieutenant
                      • May 2020

George Washington Class, It's possible.

Name:	George Washington  S.png
Views:	518
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	140427

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Steve didn't you have a 1/96 scratchbuilt and 1/144 scale vacuform models of the Washington SSBN?
                        Last edited by redboat219; 06-09-2020, 08:32 PM.
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• SteveNeill
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2020

Thanks Rob as always but I just have enough on my plate as it is. And besides I love making things by hand. Currently I'm making a Falcon 9 - Dragon flying model rocket kit. All scratch and hand mastered aside from the body tube. Other companies are making them and they are printed and need so much sanding and preening. When finished they still look rough up close and personal.

Here's one example: Click image for larger version

Name:	capsule-sm.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	140468

And here's mine unfinished so far: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5739small.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	140469

And after it was further along: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5799.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	140470

And yes I did do a vacuum form Washington but this time I'm going to do a epoxy glass hull.

Name:	598a (1).JPG
Views:	361
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	140471

Name:	598a.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	140472
                          And this 212 was all hand scratch built. David made fittings and props for both. The 212 was epoxy glass.

Name:	IMG_0534 (1).jpg
Views:	362
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	140474

Name:	IMG_0535.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	140475

As much as I respect printers and what they can do I ad a ball making these boats all from scratch with help from David. I miss it and want to do another Washington build and get him involved he's a hoot to work with.

I also did this 1/32 type 17 from scratch. Wish I had the molds for it still.

Name:	res016.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	140476

Name:	res023.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	140477

Also to add insult to injury my visit to the dentist wasn't good yesterday. Aside from having yet another tooth pulled from my aging skull I was told I need to have three more removed of my upper front teeth. I'm not a candidate for implants so I have to have a partial made that will make my front teeth look good again. Insurance doesn't pay for cosmetics.

​​​​​​​With the money that will all cost out of my bank account buying a printer isn't going to happen anytime too soon. Besides I need to purchase a metal lathe. It's long overdue and I don't know how I got this far without one. Oh wait a minute, David that's how.

​​​​​​​So there's my long winded and detailed tail of gibberish.

Attached Files

Comment

• SteveNeill
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2020

And if you want to keep up with my scratch building and projects non submarine and submarine visit here:

creating The SNG Experience - Art, Aerospace, Models -Excitemen

You don't have to join. All content is free. People only subscribe that choose too.

Enjoy

Comment

• Dandyfunk
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Jun 2020

Hello all, I am new to the site but not new to rc or 3d printing. I run a dual Tevo Tornado setup. However I am a total squid with rc subs. Where are you all getting Stl files for subs. I have done a little fusion 360 design for ships parts and such but nothing as complicated as a complete hull. I have printed 4 rc boats. 1 rc-able Benchy, I Russian sub chaser and 1 airboat. All files from Thingyverse and the last which I printed 3 each a 1/32nd Scale Vosper. The vosper files were created by one of my club members. I recently picked up a 1/32nd Scale Type IXC hull made by 32nd Parallel but think that its a little large for my first attempt. Thinking maybe printing something as the first. Thanks in advance. Breck
                              Last edited by Dandyfunk; 06-16-2020, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• SubDude
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Dandyfunk
                                Hello all, I am new to the site but not new to rc or 3d printing. I run a dual Tevo Tornado setup. However I am a total squid with rc subs. Where are you all getting Stl files for subs. I have done a little fusion 360 design for ships parts and such but nothing as complicated as a complete hull. I have printed 4 rc boats. 1 rc-able Benchy, I Russian sub chaser and 1 airboat. All files from Thingyverse and the last which I printed 3 each a 1/32nd Scale Vosper. The vosper files were created by one of my club members. I recently picked up a 1/32nd Scale Type IXC hull made by 32nd Parallel but think that its a little large for my first attempt. Thinking maybe printing something as the first. Thanks in advance. Breck
                                Hello Dandyfunk and welcome to the forum. Bob Martin at the Nautilus Drydocks currently has several subs available for download and is coming out with new ones all the time. I have the Redoutable and there is an Astute, Los Angeles and 571 Nautilus as well. I hope that helps.

Comment

Working...