X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

David,

Thank you very much for ounce again taking the time to answer my question! The photos are so very helpful, I don't know if I will ever have enough patience to learn and then apply myself to do anywhere close to the quality work that you do, Not only your finishing work, but also your fabrication work and the attention to detail that you apply to both. I know you did not learn this overnight and that you have many years of experience!

Bob Martin told me this hobby was not going to be easy! But coming off building and flying RC airplanes for 40 years, I thought hell, this Sub building hobby was going to be a piece of cake!

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[5407].JPG
Views:	552
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	137846

Boy! Am I eating crow now! I guess I am just frustrated right now!

Thanks again David!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Frustration is the burr up our butt that gets us up and off our butt.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Oh, I hear you loud and clear!! Everything is complete except adding a clear lens to the starboard and port side of the sail. Then on to the final sanding. After going over many Astute photos (full scale) it seems flat black will be the base color for this boat as well! I may try my hand at some weathering. I got some great photos from David to use to pull up some inspiration from.

Name:	P4100001.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	137849Click image for larger version

Name:	P4100003.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	137850

Comment

• Aug 2008

Though the prototype may be black, never paint a smaller version of that prototype (a model) true black. Make the model a very dark gray. This accounts for the 'scale effect' of distance between eye and subject caused by the diffusion of light through the fluid (air). The greater the distance between eye and subject the lighter the color appears.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
            Oh, I hear you loud and clear!! Everything is complete except adding a clear lens to the starboard and port side of the sail. Then on to the final sanding. After going over many Astute photos (full scale) it seems flat black will be the base color for this boat as well! I may try my hand at some weathering. I got some great photos from David to use to pull up some inspiration from.

Name:	P4100001.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	137849Click image for larger version

Name:	P4100003.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	137850

As the Brit's employed anechoic tiles prominently on their boats the bug-screen-as-mask trick will serve you well as you paint and weather this beast.

Name:	Img0363.JPG
Views:	561
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	137856

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Thanks for all your input David! I really like what you are doing with brushes and the effect you get using them. I may invest in an airbrush down the road. Can't say it enough how much I appreciate all the photos you posted! I will certainly use them as a learning guide.

Just as a side note. I am going to get with Bob Martin, and have him help me size either the Astute or the Redoutable 3D files so that I can build one of these boats to adapt to the 2.5" Sub/Driver that FATE just seems to want me to have it! (Thank you very much David) You are a very kind and generous MAN!!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                Thanks for all your input David! I really like what you are doing with brushes and the effect you get using them. I may invest in an airbrush down the road. Can't say it enough how much I appreciate all the photos you posted! I will certainly use them as a learning guide.

Just as a side note. I am going to get with Bob Martin, and have him help me size either the Astute or the Redoutable 3D files so that I can build one of these boats to adapt to the 2.5" Sub/Driver that FATE just seems to want me to have it! (Thank you very much David) You are a very kind and generous MAN!!

Rob

Just passing on the knowledge and kindness that others have extended to me over the decades. We are but custodians to the 'ways' of doing things: we learn, build on that knowledge, and finaly pass it on down the line.

You do good work, and you are a quick study. My pleasure, sir.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

As I stated above! It seems Fate and David M. really wanted me to have the 2.5" SD. I know David will get tired of me saying this! "Thank you one more time David"

Name:	P4140002.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	137927

So I will move on and do my best to give this SD a good home on a 3D printed boat. After working with Bob Martin helping me to re-size the STL files on the two 3D print files on the Astute and the Redoutable. 83.33% seems to be a perfect fit for the 2.5" SD. I have printed up one of the lower baulk heads and a lower baulk head, and the fit is right on.

Name:	P4140001.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	137928Click image for larger version

Name:	P4140003.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	137929

At the 83.33% the Astute will measure out to 820.19 mm (32.24") in length with a beam at 88.90 mm (3.50") The SD measures out to 584.30 mm (23") in length. I think it will be a good fit, and should make a really fine build. And what really makes this a great build is, It will static dive!!! (with help setting it up of course) Looking forward to this build! So with that in mind and 45.75 hours of print time on my Dremel it's a go!

Rob

"Fire men can stand the heat"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    Welcome to my underwater realm!
                    • Aug 2009

I'm really interested in finding out how the "stock" 3d printed impeller works. It could be that you might want to forgo it and go with a conventional scimitar prop. Those pumpjets don't necessarily scale well in terms of performance.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Bob, I am not sure myself how that impeller is going to work. I was about to test my 1:96 scale Astute when I had a problem with the wiring in my WTC. I am replacing all those (Cheap) Tamiya wire connectors with Deans plugs. When they arrive and I can get them installed I will then be able to test out the 3D printed impeller system (at least on the surface) on my big Astute.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4050195.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	137955Click image for larger version  Name:	P4070010.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.0 KB ID:	137956

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4140004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	137957

What conventional scimitar prop would you suggest I use on the smaller Astute that I am currently printing, and would it work inside just a plain shroud?

Rob

Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-14-2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        Welcome to my underwater realm!
                        • Aug 2009

I can't see any reason why a shrouded scimitar wouldn't work. If you really want performance, a three-bladed power prop would move water like no tomorrow. Scimitars (from what I understand) are designed primarily for their sound characteristics versus performance. They look really cool, though....

If the prop will be hidden in the shroud and you don't care if someone peeks in and sees it, the three-bladed option would give you the best thrust.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

High speed performance is really not what I am after, All my Submarine builds are for our small swimming pool use only. With my health issues, driving to a lake or anywhere else
                          is pretty much out of the question for me anymore. Just to be able to cruse on the surface at some sort of easy scale speed is all I am after. (and hopefully under the surface someday) I think I will sorta slow this new project down a bit until I have had a chance to think it all through a little!!

Thanks for the input!

Rob

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

For small pool operation, sub designs which use thrusters and/or steerable nozzles are best, preferably with a low aspect ratio- e.g. chubby shapes. That gives lots of agility. If you're more concerned with performance than 100% scale accuracy, consider making that Astute shroud swivel like a steerable kort nozzle.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

subculture. Thank you for your input! I can see where your idea could enhance the performance of the Astute! But like I stated, speed is not what I am after in a swimming pool environment. It looked really good as a scale performer.

This will be good news for Bob Martin! Today I put the Astute in the pool and gave it a GOOD run test. It looked great and the prop performance was REALLY GOOD. The 3D Printed prop that came with your files does a good job in my opinion. The only thing I did to the prop, was to reinforce the blades with some CA, balanced the blades for fitting inside the shroud and painted it.

Name:	P4190001.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	138164Click image for larger version

Name:	P4190002.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	138165Click image for larger version

Name:	P4190003.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	138166

I just ran this boat on the surface with rudder input only, and it did well. Under water it most likely would do better! My wife took a video, and I will send it to you Bob to upload on YouTube or for you to at least see that you have good viable files for the 3D printed Astute!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

I am ready to start another 3D Printing project! I have an old Albacore Boat that purchased from Nautilus Drydocks (Bob Martin) I have taken out all the old electronics that where in fairly good shape, but the ballast tank had some cracks and the WTC was warped and leaked very bad. I will use as much of the old electronics and the propulsion motor to keep it as close to original as possible.

Name:	P4210001.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	138188Click image for larger version

Name:	P4210002.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	138189

Name:	P4210003.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	138190

The hull seems to be ABS plastic and in good shape. What I am going to do is design and fabricate another 3D Printed 3.5" WTC/SD and adapted the old electronics and the motor to the new WTC. I have decided to make this Albacore a dynamic diver! This will be another step closer to a full static diving sub for me!

Rob

Comment

Working...