Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a1965l
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Apr 2020

I'm kind of a noob at PLA printing. I started with a DaVinci, and only ran ABS through it. It is an enclosed printer, which is what ABS apparently likes. I finally got tired of $70 cartridges and ditched it in favor of an Ender 3, and started using PLA. I've done a couple experimental prints with ABS, but have adhesion problems with the magnetic flexible mat you get as a print bed. I do have a glass print bed, and one of these days I'll re-calibrate the Z axis and try it out.

I have noted, however, that my roll of PLA filament, which is exposed to the sun when installed in the printer, seems to get brittle very quickly while the ABS does not. It might be that I'm using cheap Amazon Basics filament, and need to go back to a pricier, name brand. The things I have sitting around the house here that were printed in PLA seem to be holding up just fine, and a couple of them sit right in the sunlight for extended periods of the day. I'm doing some minor structure for the 688 in PLA, and so far they've all come out excellent, and seem to have no trouble being drilled and holding fasteners. I would like to do more experimentation with ABS, however...
    "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

a19651,

I have been doing 3D printing for 8 years now and have NEVER used anything but PLA! You do not want to leave your PLA out in direct sunlight! you also have to be careful with moisture content. The filament will expand if it absorbs to much moisture, which in turn can cause nozzle problems. The other thing I like to do with my PLA filament, is not to leave it out in the open for extended times, (when not in use) I like to store my filament everyday if I am not using it. Some may say that is overkill, but it makes the PLA last longer (some rolls I have are 2 to 3 years old) and I do not have any problem with moisture or issues with age.

My solution:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010001.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	138753Click image for larger version

Name:	P5010002.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	138754

I use the gallon size Ziploc vacuum freezer bag with the hand pump. I also use 2 or 3 fresh silica gel bags. What the bags do for you is to cover the PLA roll and the pump draws all the air & moisture out and along with the silica it keeps the PLA fresh and dry. This system works great for me. I never have clogged valves or filament that dry's out and breaks.

I am sure there are lots of better filaments on the market for building Submarines. If the PLA is sealed properly and you keep it out of DIRECT & EXTREME heat and sunlight it works great. I will use nothing else. No toxins and it is environmentally safer to use! I have 3 PLA printed submarines (built and sealed PROPERLY) that have been in my pool several time (15 to 20 min at a time) No problems at all!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• a1965l
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Apr 2020

That's one of the things I mean to do but never seem to.. pull the roll off the printer when I'm done printing and put it back in the bag. I just ordered 2 more rolls of filament, one more PLA and one of PET-G. We have a member at our club who 3-d printed an airplane with PET-G and he reports it's been flying well for the past year, so I figured I ought to give it a try as well. I would also like to experiment with nylon, but need to upgrade the hot end first, and while that's on the to-do list, unfortunately there are a lot of other, more pressing things that are on the list as well.
        "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

I guess I like the OLD tried and true methods of 3D Printing! PLA all the way! Now we can get to this project at hand. The Albacore restoration.

The 3.5"X12" acrylic tubes have arrived so I can get started on the fittings for the WTC.

Name:	P5020003.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	138781Click image for larger version

Name:	P5020004.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	138782

I am still working on the concept design and fitting sizes!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

After sizing up the end caps I now have the finished end caps printed and ready for installation.

Name:	P5050003.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	138839Click image for larger version

Name:	P5050002.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	138840

But before I finish up the end caps, I will start 3D printing the mounting systems for the motor, servos, ESC, RX, and the battery holder. So I will get back to designing and printing these parts for the WTC.

Rob

Comment

• Sinksalot
              Commander
              • Mar 2020

Yea my first 3D printer was a da Vinci 1.0 Pro. I still use it to print with ABS, is does a great job. the Da Vinci Pro you can use any PLA or ABS filament brand in it. I also own a Tronxy X5SA Pro with a Hemera hotend on it. That is my main printer. For my End caps and hull I use ASA filament. Main reason is comes out the exact size I want it to come out, so I get a better fit. However your printer has to be able to get hot. 270 degrees on hotend and 110 degrees on bed. However that being said, once the Elegoo Saturn 3D resin printer come out. I will buy it and print endcaps and hull parts out of resin. Also I store all my filament in a air tight box I bought at walmart. I bought 1 Quart Premium Blue Indicating Silica Gel Beads that suck the water out of the air and put them at the bottom of the box. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013L31PQ0
              Last edited by Sinksalot; 05-05-2020, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

3D Printing offers up so many different types of machines, types of filaments, types of slicing downloads, it's endless what is out there, and so many different ways of doing things! With this in mind, I think someone should start-up a blog just for 3D printing in general only! The point of my blog is building Submarines and there corresponding components.

You just have to do what works for you, and then "Master The Process"

Rob

Comment

• ffr2608
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2009

I have been using Duramic PLA plus from Amazon. I have a raw part in direct sunlight and one immersed in water. 5 months later, I see no water ingress or warping or cracking. Been testing this drug smuggling boat for some time in raw PLA with no issues either. All Duramic….
                  Attached Files

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

ffr2608,

Thanks for the info! The fact that it is manufactured in the USA makes it possibility for use on my next project. Like your drug smuggling boat!

I know that Bob Martin (Nautilus Drydocks) recommends the PLA plus for his 3D printed Submarine files.

Rob

Last edited by rwtdiver; 05-07-2020, 01:12 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

OK! Starting to make some headway with the Albacore WTC!

Name:	P5090006.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	138963Click image for larger version

Name:	P5090007.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	138964Click image for larger version

Name:	P5090008.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	138965

End caps are completed, servo tray is complete with servos mounted, and motor tray is complete, motor not installed yet!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

I have a question on my motor shaft end cap seal?

Name:	P5090002.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	139023
                        The shaft does seem to have some resistance as I turn the shaft. Is there a lubricate that would rejuvenate these type of cup seals?

Appreciate any input!

Rob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

silicon oil (not grease).

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            silicon oil (not grease).

David
                            Thanks David! I had the grease and not the oil, but good old amazon will have it to me tomorrow!

Rob

Comment

• SteveNeill
                              Commander
                              • Apr 2020

Just so good. What more could I say? This is great modeling.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                                Commander
                                • Apr 2020

I have always loved this boat! Good job Rob!

Comment

Working...