Commander
      • Nov 2022

Damn, that's a lot of BJB!!!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Davjacva
        Damn, that's a lot of BJB!!!
        Yeah. Imagine if I had not put those displacing hunks into the flasks beforehand!
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albacore 569
          Commander
          • Sep 2020

So you insert the prop shafts before molding and I assume they are coated with a separator, so they twist free and turn when the casting is taken out of the mold? Or the shafts just rod as part of the casting process with slightly larger diameter & removed after to repeat on other castings - the channel is slightly larger for the actual prop shafts?

Click image for larger version  Name:	qozeIi1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.4 KB ID:	180363
          Last edited by Albacore 569; 05-27-2024, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Rick Teskey
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jan 2009

Why did you decide way back when (skip jack?) and presently on making stern sections out of cast resin you may have said in the past and I have forgotten or nobody listens to you anyway..?
            Could same tool be used ,not the inner displacement plug just the outer skin for grp layup or would cross section be too thin too retain shape?
            just kidding about not listening....Zzzzzzzzz

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albacore 569
              So you insert the prop shafts before molding and I assume they are coated with a separator, so they twist free and turn when the casting is taken out of the mold? Or the shafts just rod as part of the casting process with slightly larger diameter & removed after to repeat on other castings - the channel is slightly larger for the actual prop shafts?

Click image for larger version Name:	qozeIi1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.4 KB ID:	180363
              No. What you see are SS rods that form cores to produce the bores in which brass tube stern tubes (that accommodate the propeller shafts) will later be inserted and glued within the cast resin tail-cone. Once the casting cures, I yank out the SS rods and disassemble the tool quadrants to free the casting. I'll be done with the test shots of sail and tail-cone within the hour... stand by!
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rick Teskey
                Why did you decide way back when (skip jack?) and presently on making stern sections out of cast resin you may have said in the past and I have forgotten or nobody listens to you anyway..?
                Could same tool be used ,not the inner displacement plug just the outer skin for grp layup or would cross section be too thin too retain shape?
                just kidding about not listening....Zzzzzzzzz
                Ellie and I were 'production' guys; we employed materials and methods that balanced suitability of material to time taken to produce the product. Time is money. (Sometimes she would quip on the phone, to a casual caller: "We're busy making money here... keep it short!". The perfect gatekeeper).

The involved and tight geometry of sail and tail-cone made hollow-casting the production process of choice, though GRP layup would have rendered much stronger structures. Yes, I have on rare occasions done glass layup within resin casting tools, with success, but doing so with such deep draft and tight radius forms requires plenty of gel-coat, followed by light-weight glass, backed up with heavier weave glass -- all very time consuming, but producing exceptionally strong parts, but parts that take forever to produce.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1239.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	180372

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1205.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	180373

D&E Miniatures started as a resin casting service -- we played to that strength throughout our run.

David
                Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-27-2024, 02:26 PM.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Can you incorporate the stern tubes during the casting process? Would having them in place cause problems extracting the casting from the mold?
                  To prevent resin from entering and blocking the tubes it could be filled with beeswax.
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                    Can you incorporate the stern tubes during the casting process? Would having them in place cause problems extracting the casting from the mold?
                    To prevent resin from entering and blocking the tubes it could be filled with beeswax.
                    So. That's an idea. Show me how please. Meanwhile I'll just putter away with my awful attempts.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Will the thinness of the shaft space cause problems with running screws? It may be just a bad camera angle I’m seeing. Very nice project.
                      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Who does one have to blow to get one of these?
                        Last edited by redboat219; 05-27-2024, 09:32 PM.
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
                          Will the thinness of the shaft space cause problems with running screws? It may be just a bad camera angle I’m seeing. Very nice project.
                          No problem. The installed stern tubes reside in the solid horizontal stabilizers which have more than enough beef to keep the shafts from wiggling.

This shot of the stern tube core piece -- a length of SS (two of them) -- residing within the cavity that will give form to the stabilizer once the pour is made will be completely encapsulated in resin. Very stout foundation.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jan 2009

Thank you
                            looks like an 8 window on back wall behind Ellie

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rick Teskey