Clear All
  • SteveNeill
    Commander
    • Apr 2020

Beautiful David. Love the core!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

The last few weeks have been invested in producing 'fittings' for r/c model kits. What I'm doing here is casting up resin and metal parts that -- when integrated with GRP hulls (produced by another manufacturer) -- will become commercially available kits; fittings for the Small World Models 1/96 KILO submarine kit.

I employed simple two-part rubber tools, and a more sophisticated three-piece tool to cast the stern-cone, sail, and appendages for the fittings kit.

What is it with Island-Girls and yard tools??…

The white-metal propellers were gravity cast, and the smaller detail metal parts were spun-cast in a modified blood-separation centrifuge.

The white-metal fittings that required machining -- taping, boring, and inclusion of set-screws -- were secured within specialized holding fixtures.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Lorena Bobbit
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

You better behave Dave or it's snip, snip, snip.
            Last edited by redboat219; 05-04-2020, 10:04 PM.
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
              Lorena Bobbit
              ROFLMAO! (Ellie too).

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SteveNeill
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2020

You know. Just when you think you're good at something I come here. It's like a slap in the face. Beyond your engineering skills and craftsman ship I have seen your drawings in the past too. So you're and artist and an engineer. In general a maker extraordinaire. Somethings I would never attempt but looking at your work weekly tempts me to.

I've made plenty of molds of all types in my day and still do. Mostly for Hollywood stuff. But when I look at the sail mold I ponder, "how did you manage to produce that core?"

I've made plenty of sail masters and molded them in silicone but never did I manage to get such and intricate core with the various recesses for drilling and window placements and scopes. I looked through all this but seemed to have missed that part of the process.

As I start to prepare for making yet another Washington class boat(this will make number three) I want to hone up my skill set and make this the bast possible model kit I can to date.

Comment

• Aug 2008

You are very kind, Steve.

The KILO and BLUEBACK work you mention is heavily based on the excellent masters and tools originally produced by David Manley of Small World Models. The current tooling is new, and of my creation, but I must credit David Manley's excellent master work as the foundation upon which I contributed a few little nuances.

We are all students of the Craft.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

I must say, I am really into this wonderful hobby of Submarine building (as it is with my limited sub building skills) But again I must reiterate following your work, (and that of others in this forum) with your skills and craftmanship is a big part of the enjoyment for me with this hobby! I truly appreciate all of you sharing your skills with us students of the craft!

Thanks to all of you!!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• SteveNeill
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2020

I think we all inspire each other. It is a joy and it makes it easier to get up excited about each the day. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning every morning. Can't wait to get out in the shop to make ultimate toys. Whether they are subs, boats, planes, slot cars or rockets(even the occasional sculpture or painting) it gives one beyond family and friends additional purpose to keep breathing air. And if what we do gives others joy and inspiration...that's just the cherry on top because rather than complain about the world you are actually making it a better place by being creative. "Making" is a Nobel craft!

Thanks David. Thanks Rob!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SteveNeill
                          I think we all inspire each other. It is a joy and it makes it easier to get up excited about each the day. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning every morning. Can't wait to get out in the shop to make ultimate toys. Whether they are subs, boats, planes, slot cars or rockets(even the occasional sculpture or painting) it gives one beyond family and friends additional purpose to keep breathing air. And if what we do gives others joy and inspiration...that's just the cherry on top because rather than complain about the world you are actually making it a better place by being creative. "Making" is a Nobel craft!

Thanks David. Thanks Rob!
                          Well said Steve!

I feel the same way!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave2.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	138915

Just to inspire all - from another website.
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

Is he sucking or blowing?

Comment

• Subculture
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

I'd say that propel is having an affect on his barnet!

Comment

Working...