X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Gary,

I made a extra positive and negative wire connection to my batterypack, soldered those two wires to my brass charging points, this way i don't have to remove or unplug my batterypack each time.
    With all my dryhull boats i made the same connection, those batteries can't be removed, since they are located down on the keel and covered with all the things to make them run.
    As for the tubes, i have good hope that they will work like intended, only had to rebuild them twice, which is rather quick, normally it will take some more tinkeringtime to get them right.

David,

It's a SAS droplet catcher, my levelkeeper is positioned straight under the air inlet inside the SD, so if some droplets will fall down, i'm screwed with a wet levelkeeper.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• crazygary
      Captain
      • Sep 2012

So, you can charge your battery pack without removing it from the sub interior?

Nice!! I like that a lot!!

Thank you, Sir!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
        Gary,

I made a extra positive and negative wire connection to my batterypack, soldered those two wires to my brass charging points, this way i don't have to remove or unplug my batterypack each time.
        With all my dryhull boats i made the same connection, those batteries can't be removed, since they are located down on the keel and covered with all the things to make them run.
        As for the tubes, i have good hope that they will work like intended, only had to rebuild them twice, which is rather quick, normally it will take some more tinkeringtime to get them right.

David,

It's a SAS droplet catcher, my levelkeeper is positioned straight under the air inlet inside the SD, so if some droplets will fall down, i'm screwed with a wet levelkeeper.

Manfred.
        You taught me the need to catch such overflow-condensation with your great V80 thread. Great stuff.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

Yep, that's my intension, the problem with replacing the battery pack is always the difference in weight, or position of the batterypack, normally you can adjust both packs to the same weight and make a cradle to get them into the same position, just to keep your CG at the same place.
          Still, all the fuzz of replacing the pack will mess up your interior, on the long run you can get a defect on your wires, my run time will be around 1,5 hours, plenty of playing time, i still have some other subs to play with.

Manfred.
          I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Wow, the V80, that's some time ago,

I made the same provision also inside my type VII, i rather keep those droplets at one place, where i can check things out, water and electronics don't like each other, making this provision takes a little time, and will save a lot of trouble in the future.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• crazygary
              Captain
              • Sep 2012

Really good stuff here, Manfred!!

Many thanks!

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

Just watched the mast video. Is the air switch a propriety item, or did you make it?
                Any chance of a schematic showing the servo and micro switches, I'm being slightly thick here as to the process. Maybe I spend an hour at work today making sketches of this whilst pretending its a high level marketing plan that no one else will be able to understand.
                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

The airswitch is from Robart, the same as the rc plane guys use to retract their gears, you can buy this of the shelf in the shop, as for the scematic, it's still inside my head.
                  I still have to make one for inside my archives, thanks for the reminder of making one, when done i'll post it, be patient.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Started with the extra details at the conningtower, want to finish that first before i continue the trimming, pictures

First i prepped up the strange boxes i discovered on a picture, and did some work to make the antenna's from stainless steel rods.

Added the extra brackets inside the tower, they are clearly visible on my picture.

Dryfitting the antenna's at the desired positions, you can clearly see that this position is further back as Bronco provided.

Also found out that they use a cover to protect the UZO base, this is logical since most boats had their steps at the front of the tower, so stepping into the tower ocured by standing on the UZO base, they also used a standing rod next to it, simply to provide a handhold when entering the tower.

Added a small hinge, simply for the fun, and in the real live it was also possible to open up the cover before placing the UZO binocular.

Also made a start with the horse-shape requebouy, gave it a layer of paint in preparations for more details.
                    Right now i'm working inside the tower to place those strange boxes, and made a start with detailing the antenna's, if i'm lucky they can be extended/retracted by hand, like all small details they are the first to go down the drain, so retracting them saves a lot of misery in the future.

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Manfred, your timing is perfect. I am working on the details in there too. Yours are looking much better than mine!
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

Thanks Tom,

Yep, she's got enough details inside the conningtower, it will keep me busy for some time, i don't mind, it's fun to add those details.

Those strange boxes are glued in, gave the antenna's some more attention, decided to scrap the brackets from Bronco, and builded me some new, by doing this i also could ad the coaxcables.
                        Like so many builds i used soldering wire for this, easy to bent and i have this in different sizes.

This was my goal to get this antenna's extended or retracted by hand, it's works like this, took a 1,5 mm brass tube, in which the stainless rod fits, bended the lower part 90 degrees to prefent extruding the antenna completely, used a small shrinkhose on top to prevent pushing in the antenna completely.

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

That is just the battle I am going through. I could spend months detailing it out, but I have several subs on my build list - so I will need to compromise or settle.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

In my chase i have a slight disorder for details, must be my static builder history, from my type VII i've gained the experience to make the details during the build, and not afterwards, saves a lot of buildingtime and breaking down old parts.
                            It's a matter of choice, each person will have to fight that battle on his own, as for me, i never loose the objective of a nice running boat out of sight, adding details will stand out my boat in the crowd.

Manfred.
                            I went underground

Comment

• Albion
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2008

I had been content to sit in my world thinking, Manfred does nice detail stuff, but it's 1/32 scale, you can't do that in 1/72, and then you built the 212 and showed us what was really possible.
                              Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• crazygary
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2012

The possibilities are pretty endless!!
                                Go for it, Albion!! We who are watching salute you!!!!

Comment

Working...