X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Thanks Tom,
    Each time that i run this baby i'm tuning in on her, hope to get it the third run right, as you stated before, when running right it's a easy boat to handle, that pitchdown issue from David has nothing to do with the model itself, i did made some full power passes underwater, not a glitch, on the other hand she is responsive on the diveplanes, much more then my other models.
    I suspect David's problem has something to do with the ADF settings, last evening i did a zero bubble calibration, i know for sure i did this the first time right, there was a major difference when i did it last evening, my guess about 4 degrees nose down difference, i've had nothing changed inside the SD near the ADF, for a submarine that's huge.
    So, applying full throttle will give you the nose down effect, the ADF can't correct this steep angle by compensating, ending up in a pitch down event.

Romel,

I have no idea if this a better way, it suited me the best, cutting at the waterline or Z cut will always be done, this way you have easy access to the SD, i took a gamble on the radial approach with in mind no tools needed, to make this commercially will be a complete other ball game, it's far to complicated for easy building, i like the challence to make it work, getting the benefit of extracting your SD without much hassle is a nice bonus.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Okey. Will go with that route when it comes to building mine. Beats the hassle of cutting open the hull and dressing up the edges of the cut.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

Romel, if you really want to go with the radial approach, be really prepared for this journey, even for me it wasn't easy, i know it looks easy when finished, but it took a hell of a effort to get there.

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Might try David Welch's simplified version of yours...

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

I've followed his build too, he made a much simpler version from the radial split, only borrowed my rudder/dive plane module design, from what i've understood he keeps his hull together with machine screws, another neat simple solution.
            By unscrewing those he can gain access to the inside for removing his WTC.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

May need to reinforce the area where screws are as the plastic may develop stress fractures over time.

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Thinking of using machined plastic bulkheads then screw the hull halves unto the bulkheads.

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

That can be done, only be aware not make that bulkheads too heavy, there is not much room inside to place your foam to counter the weight, since you have to slide your SD in, there is only room at certain places to glue in your foam.
                  As for keeping together both hull parts at the radial split i would go the way i went by using magnets, the holes from the machinescrews are going to ware out after some times giving you unwanted results.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Made today the third testrun, and boy oh boy, i need to make another one, still have issue's with the stabilising part, i've changed something and like David's one, i have a pitchdown problem when speeding up.
                    The launching of both torps went well, another one down on the bucketlist, as for the pitchdown issue, i have to recalibrate the boat when level, this evening i made a discovery which may be the source of all this fun.
                    When i put both halves together the SD is lifted up slightly, this is due to my instant connections for the float and rising stuff, when the SD is lifted the zero bubble point is gone, i'll put everything solid with some wooden wedges to get it level, preform the zero bubble trick, and have to make another run to see if this is the problem.
                    Another thing was noticed, when trimmed inside the bath she was perfect, on site she was higher in the water, i know this is due to trimming her in pure sweet water, the water at the pond contains a mixure of salt and sweet water, want to make several compensation weights to counteract this, still want to have her slighty positive.

She Who Must Be Obeyed documented this event again complete with the ugly and the bad, enjoy

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• Unterwasser
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Mar 2014

Hello Manfred, i'm starting my Type XXIII project and plan to use your "two sections joint". Do you have a plan or measures for the rudder/rear planes support?

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

I don't have any plans, made all things on site, i did followed the general drawings from a book about the type XXIII, if you want to have exact measures, be patient, because i'm on travel, will return within a few weeks home, don't expect that She Who Must Be Obeyed has the code from the Skunkworks.

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

Unterwasser,

I'm back in the cave, what measurements do you want to have from the rudder/diveplane support?

Manfred.
                          I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Last week i played around with some paint, the hull is painted into it's two tone colour and there is some progress on the tower,

All basic colours are there, still have to make a mask for one specific sign which was placed on the tower, when finished i can place the nav lights and their glass windows.

Hull is also painted, for now i keep it basic, still have to tinker inside, next step will be, ripping out those pesty copper rods from the torpedo shutters, and replace them by carbon rods, thus eliminating the lubrication problem.

The brain is also coocking about the emergency buoye, which has to find it's place on the boat, in general i will follow the system i've build on the type 212, space is now my biggest problem, and it has to be build in such way that it will intergrade with my sliding SD.

Manfred.
                            I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Nice Manfred. Someday soon Ill paint mine as well.
                              IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• redboat219
                                Admiral
                                • Dec 2008

How about using the diesel exhaust housing for the retrieval bouy system?

Comment

Working...