Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Yeah the 212, a nice little gritter, and even at scale 1/96 fun to build, it sharpened my skills at this scale.

Now back to the type XXIII, it took some time but i've got the holes inside the tower's flange filled, decided not to place the railings from the kit, on most pictures i have they are removed, i think for creating more room for the crew inside the tower.
    Painted the inside, and started with dryfitting the antenna's, also started with something else, pictures

Decided to get the paint inside by hand, more to simulate the work from the crew, i think most of the paintwork inside the tower was done by hand, or at least during maintenance.

Dryfitted the antenna's, just to see at which position i have to drill the holes through the deck, got to paint them first before i can place them inside.

Right now i'm playing around with this small diameter hose, discovered a new item, which i want to place, you can see this at the pics, and i've got this backed up by a drawing inside my Von Orignal Zum Modell type XXIII book.
    I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Normally, I try to limit the number of masts sticking up out of my submarines, but yours look so good Ill probably end up putting them all on, especially the snorkel head. Whats the hose for? Manfred, the type 23 book that you say you have, can you give us more info so that maybe we can purchase one?
      Last edited by greenman407; 02-28-2014, 09:56 PM.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

Mark,

If all goes well, i can retract most of my antenna stuff when driving the boat, just to limit the damage, as for the hose, be patient, pictures will follow.
        The book i have is from, Eberhart Rossler and Fritz Kohl, ISBN 3-7637-6007-5, it's in german language, which is not a problem for me, the pictures and drawings inside say enough to me.
        Also have this as a pdf file, only drawback is, the resolution is lower due to the scanning, you can make the choice which one you want to have.

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• goshawk823
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2010

that Type XXIII book is a phenomenal reference. I've had mine for years and years.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Ill look it up on Amazon. Thanks

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

OK dudes, I just bought it for $16.74. Even being in German the pictures and drawings should be good.

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

You won't regrett that buy Mark, there are excellent pictures and drawings inside, even some reports from active duty, i also have the same books about the type VII, type XXI, and the type XVII.
                Rossler and Kohl did make a fantastic job of recreating all the data into good documentation, they even dedicated a chapter on builded models.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

This was a productive weekend, finished my hose project, and fitted the antenna's and made the scematic of my moving stuff on air, pictures

Two shots of my hose project Mark, i've added a speakingtube inside the conningtower, the diameter of my hose was exactly what i needed, to get the shapes right i inserted a 1 mm brass rod, which made it possible to bent it into the desired curves.
                  The conical shaped speakerinlet came out of the spare parts draw, a conical propellorhub, shaped into this form with some smooth files and sandpaper.

Inserted the antenna's and placed the small shrink hoses to keep them extended, it's starting to look something.

Retracting the antenna's goes manual, just by slightly pressing they will slide into the tower, lowtech, but effective.

Both antenna's retracted, only the piece of shrink hose stays visible, that will be not scale, so be it !!!, this way i know on duty patrol i won't mess up my antenna's.

This is the view inside my conningtower, both antenna's near the wall of the tower, lot's of room to play around, now i'll slap some paint over the speakingtube and will rebuild the flagpoles and holders to be more sturdy.

This one is for you Albion, my scematic for my airmoved stuff, i'll explane how it is working.

On both sides of the Robart switch i've placed a microswitch, which will be activaded on both sideways movements, since the LPB only pumps air into one direction, i've used this airhose rigging to get me a reverse switch.
                  Drawn into this position it's neutral, the LPB can pump the air freely, shoved into one of the directions, the middle part, which has the connection of the scope, will either suck or blow the air into the scope, giving me the right movement.
                  Tricky part is the build of the scope, it has to run as smooth as possible, i can move my scope and snorkel by only using my own breath, this way it won't be a problem to run the LPB, if this goes heavier the LPB will die, believe me i know!!!, this due to my demonic experiments i burned up a LPB.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• Albion
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2008

Thank you manfred, very edumacational.

so is that a closed loop system.
                    does the pump need to be kept running to keep the masts up?
                    Last edited by Albion; 03-04-2014, 07:46 AM.
                    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Manfred,
                      Regarding your periscope pneumatics, looks like with a large LPB, you could use it for venting/ blowing a ballast tank.
                      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Manfred, is your periscope mechanism single or double acting? I'm curious where the LPBs exhaust go?
                        Last edited by redboat219; 03-04-2014, 09:53 AM.
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• crazygary
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2012

Mornin', Albion!!

Yup, edumacation am good!!
                          Geez! Ah thot ah wuz th' onlee won whut uses that wurd!!

Thank ye fer the mornin' chuckle!!

Y'all have a good one!

crazygary

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Albion,

Once i stop the LPB, the scope stays into the desired position, there is no pressure needed to keep it that way.

Romel,

This is a single action scope, with a double action there would be another inlet at the top of the scope cilinder, both the inlet and the outlet are connected to the Robart switch, so no outlet for you, it is as Albion stated, a closed loop system, as for the used LPB, it's the small one, the same type as used for both the snort and SAS system.

Manfred.
                            Last edited by MFR1964; 03-04-2014, 12:01 PM.
                            I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Initially i wanted to start with painting the speaking tube thingy, but i remembered there was something else to do, so i went all the way with the details, last job to do was, making me some sturdy copper flagpoles, it's a bit fiddling due to the size of the flagpoles, used the plastick one's only for the size, pictures

Stage one, beefing up the brackets by inserting a little tube as a holder for the new flagpoles.

Took over the length of the plastick one's, and cutted some brass rods to size, when you lightly squeeze the lower part of the tube inside the bracket, it will give you a nice tight fit of the future flagpole.

First stage in making those rounded parts on top of the flagpoles, soldered a strip of copper on top of the rods.

Second stage into the process, used a pair of siccors and some smooth files to get me the right shape/size.

Dryfitting the new flagpoles inside the brackets.

I know it's insane, but what are flagpoles without some cables?, took some very small gauge wire, and placed this on to the masts.

Glued the brackets on, and did some dryfitting with the flagpoles, if you ask yourself, why no flags?, well, this is a bit sensitive at meetings, in Germany it's forbidden by law to use any sign related to the Nazi regime, had several encounters when using my kriegsmarine flag on the type VII.
                              For now i have some painting to do, the weather is improving overhere, so i have high hopes to get this done quickly.

Manfred.
                              I went underground

Comment

• crazygary
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2012

Pretty slick there, Manfred!!! Nice!!

Also, with regard to the "speaking tube thingy", I just like the heck out of technical terms!!(LOL)
                                But, it works!!!

CG

Comment

Working...