Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MFR1964
    replied
    Wow, it's getting busy at my thread, one at the time guys,

As for the batterypack, those are 6x AA Eneloop cells, packed into three rows of two, that's giving me 7,2 volts, actually the voltage will be higher when fully charged.

Building such a pack is easy, take some loose cells, connect them together with wire, and voila, you've got a battery pack custom made, this way i can play around with the position of each cell when needed.

The scope and snorkel are not completely finished, still working on that, so adding the pump allready is for the future, since this pump can both work on air or water i can go both ways.
    Using water will give you a challence to get your boat nicely trimmed, adding the water for getting things up will be added to the balance, using air won't have that kind of problems, but creates new problems , i'll study both to see which one will be usable for me.

I'm a security engineer for my living, electronics and optics are in my fieldwork, mechanics is not one of them, but i like to design stuff and solve the problems which appear with such designs.
    Some things can be build, other things not, or at least, not now.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Manfred, thats perty smart. I reckon that you weren't born yesterday, thats for sure. What do you do for a living? Engineer I would wager.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Originally posted by MFR1964
    Mark,

One for running the SAS, and the other for raising the scope and snorkel, if i succeed in getting those things to work offcourse.

Manfred.
    If you succeed? That is laughable, I know you will get it to work. Shoot, inspire me more! I will play with this on a future sub. I was reading an older report from SC and there was an article about using a pump to use the pond water to lift the scopes up. Very cool work there Manfred. I am also interested in how you set up your batteries. It looks like 8 cells, wouldn't that be 9.6v?

Peace,
    Tom
    Last edited by trout; 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Hmmm, home made battery pack. Can you teach me how you made it.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Mark,

One for running the SAS, and the other for raising the scope and snorkel, if i succeed in getting those things to work offcourse.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Manfred, Im sorry, maybe I missed it. Whats the purpose of having two pumps?

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Skunkworks is running at topspeed, made my batterypack, finished up the front bulkhead, cabled the ADF, etc

Attached all connectors to the front bulkhead part, gave the ADF some connectors, it will be placed in the frontpart of the SD, and made my batterypack, those are Eneloop batteries, less discharge over a longer period, it's 7,2 volts 2500 mA.

Right now doing some major surgery on the rearpart, soldering up the connectors and placed a fuse inside the main power circuit and BEC circuit, when this is done i can start building up the SD and make some dryfitting inside the hull, just to see if everything is in working order.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Made some nice progress on the SD, did some dryfitting and made all cables inside complete with connectors.

Dryfitting both bulkheads, just to see if there is room enough to stuff more inside.

Both sides of the SD with all needed connectors, first i've made all scematics and started with soldering.

Now this part of the SD is done, i can build all connectors onto both bulkheads and make my batterypack, hope to get this SD up and running next week.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    I'm shifting gears, decided to get me a working SD first, all the basics will be inside, rushing things will set me back and it will take more time to correct that.

Borrowed the rack from my allmost naked Kilo SD, used it as my solution for getting all three servo's in the front, two for running the hatches and one for my forward divingplanes.

It was a bit tricky to get both pumps in, found a nice place for the ESC, and placed the Sombra on the ESC rack, you have to fight with the room you get.

Turning it around you have the four servo's, for now the cables are fixed with T-raps, i know myself good enough that this will be my startingpoint, it will cost me some more T-raps but it's worth the effort.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    The OSA is on hold untill next summer, now it's time to tackle the XXIII, since David has some demonical issue's with this boat, i re-read his entire building report, just to see if we missed something.

The plan of attack will be,

- finish up the scope and snorkel, and keep them static for now, same story with the torpedo tubes/hatches

- getting that darned SD wired up and running

- to get a difference between David's boat and mine i won't add those floodholes at the keel, just keep the standard floodholes, those floodholes at the top under the wooden modules, will stay for venting out the air.

- also have some idea's about steering both front/rear divingplanes on one channel, i run my type VII the same way very smoothly at peroscope depth at any speed.

- i'll trim this boat without painting her, just in chase if i bumb into problems like David, this is going to be a nice adventure.

If you think by yourself, wheredoes he get the time to do this?, well, i lost my job due to the so called economical crisis, so there is plenty of usefull time to hunt down the demons inside this boat.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by goshawk823
    David-
    was it because the bearing component was bonded into the hull at an angle, or is there an issue with the resin part itself? (in other words, do you have to redo your prop part master?)
    -sam
    Sam, and the others: I should not have posted my issues here at Manfred's thread, I've answered and will follow up on what I've done at my Type-23 thread, here, http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...ghlight=bronco

Sorry Manfred, I should have thought first before posting on your thread.

... and I'm simply lov'n that snorkel head-valve you are working up. First-class stuff from you, as usual.

M

Leave a comment:

• goshawk823
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Insane work, Manfred. Think I found (well, actually, Gene Berger found it) why my Type-23 was pitching down: had up-thrust in the propeller shaft.

David
    David-
    was it because the bearing component was bonded into the hull at an angle, or is there an issue with the resin part itself? (in other words, do you have to redo your prop part master?)
    -sam

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Glad to know you're the one who messed it up.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Insane work, Manfred. Think I found (well, actually, Gene Berger found it) why my Type-23 was pitching down: had up-thrust in the propeller shaft.

David

Leave a comment:

• goshawk823
    replied
    I was wondering where you went off to.
    nice work Manfred. can't wait to see the final product.

Leave a comment:

Working...