Converting the Bronco type XXIII to RC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MFR1964
    replied
    Yep, you gotta learn them to swim, she will drown without the water wings, oh boy where getting fuzzy!!!

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• Peter W
    replied
    Ah, how cute a baby Uboat with water wings. Does look good in the water Manfred.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Thanks Mark,

A 2,5 SD isn't that bad, i'm more used to my roomy dryhulls boats, which reminds me about the type XVIIb, hmmmm, more work for inside the shop.

Getting her in the open water will take some more time, i wonder if i encounted the same troubles as David has with his XXIII, i do have some things on the shelf to encounter that pitchdown issue.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• greenman407
    replied
    Nice Job Manfred! This thread is encouraging me to RC mine, even though I dont care for Subdrivers smaller than 3" in Diameter.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Lord and behold!!!, the beast has seen water!!!,

Only in the testpool, but what the heck.
    That lovely vertical system of mine is giving me a hard time, David allready mentioned it, hard to get in or out with trimming, for now i'll only use rubber bands for easy opening and closing.

This is the foam base for the rearpart, i had to add some to compensate the weight in the back.

Same story at the frontpart, simply to compensate my tubes.

This is where i stand now, with 300 grams of lead straight under the conningtower, pretty much on the waterline, now i have to get those foam blocks inside my hull, i'll probably split them into chunks for easy use, i did several dives to get her under, more then enough capacity inside the ballasttank, so more foam has to be added above the waterline.
    Due to the high conningtower,filled with my sliding stuff, she is highly unstable, have to fix that with some more lead at the keel, the CG is straight under the conningtower, this procedure will take more time due to my "snap on" system.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Peter,

1, In the real live, they did build them in seperate parts, i assume that they were welded together, sound much easier then using bolts and nuts, and you get a good seal with welding.

2,It really snaps together wether you take it apart or assemble, that's due to the good fitting form of this model.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• Peter W
    replied
    Manfred, Nothing wrong with that video just hearing your musings is educational.

2 points though. 1. Were the real type 23's held together with that many screws????? and 2. Every time you open up the different sections of your sub it makes a really satisfying snapping sound, on the video it does anyway.

Peter

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Make yourself comfortable, happy dreams!!!

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    I always become soft when launching the SD the first time, it's such a emotional event, you have to let go your technical child, boehoehoe, snirf,
    i'll edit the vid, it will take some time because i have watery eyes.

As for the droplet catcher, i have a simular thing inside my type VII, that's more a little bucket with watersensors inside, just a insurance against massive waterfloods inside my boat, that boat will blow instantly when it's detecting water inside the bucket or boat.

Manfred.
    Last edited by MFR1964; 10-23-2013, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Manfred, are you having a moment of weakness? Say it is not so. OF COURSE WE WANT TO SEE THE VIDEO. I hope that was subtle enough.

The droplet catcher is a great tip! I may have to use that!
    Last edited by trout; 10-23-2013, 09:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Tested the SD with my durationtest of one hour, as well as under pressure, or simply dunked underwater without pressure, not a leak to find, the crew will keep their feet dry.
    While doing the preparations for making this boat wet, i've overseen a problem, i've placed my ADF straight under the air-inlet in the front compartment, so, if i catch water or droplets there, i'm screwed.
    Designed a dropletcatcher which fits exactly before my batterypack, this front compartment is now offically full!!,

Had to make this curved, because there wasn't much room left, used some mesh on top to catch the droplets from the moist air.

Used some evergreen strips to make a guiderail, it clamps my dropletcatcher down, the front bulkhead, when pressed in, will also lock it down from the front, first this has to dry, so i made a really boring vid, the big question is, do you guys want to see it?, the posibilitys of falling asleep are big, so it can also be used as a relax therapy, it's up to you guys.

Manfred.
    Last edited by MFR1964; 10-23-2013, 12:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Peter,

The added weight is around 145 gram, first have to counteract that, by adding a extra 145 gram weight at the keel i can neutralise that, from what i know from other builders the high tower gives a issue in stability on the surface.
    Next week i will take her apart and start with the general layout of foam and lead, the CG will be right under the tower as with my other boats, from that i will work my way around to get it trimmed with additional lead and foam.
    Only my system of the vertical split will slow this process down, i have to take her apart after each session, but when it's done, it's done.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• Peter W
    replied
    All impressive Manfred, how much weight does it add up top ? must make it a little top heavy.

Peter.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Thanks guys,

You're right Peter, it's fun to play with, the delay between the scope and snorkel is the friction of the O ring inside the actuator, you stated it right that this is a pressure thing, so pressure will build up first at the scope, which is running smoother as my snorkel, if it was a weight issue, like Alec stated, the snorkel would go up last and go down first.
    You never get them exactly the same, due to the use of different materials and greasing, if timed good, i can choose between, just scope, just snorkel or both.
    Every time i snap my boat, i've got a smile on my face, all the difficulties i encoutered to design this paid off.

Manfred.
    Last edited by MFR1964; 10-20-2013, 05:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• alad61
    replied
    Outstanding Manfred... As usual:biggrin:

As per Peters question, would the slight time difference be due to the mass/weight difference between the scope and snorkel assembly? Either way it looks so cool.

Leave a comment:

Working...