X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

ffr2608,

Nice Swift Boat! Very much impressed with boat operation and the great sound system! Thumbs up all the way, and thanks for sharing.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Differential thrust with sliding weight for pitch control.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• tifosi12
          Commander
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
          Differential thrust with sliding weight for pitch control.
          Yeah, I remember that. Pretty impressive.

Comment

• ffr2608
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2009

Brass sleeves for the dive planes are in. Plenty of room for testing and motor placement. Dry box is going to be a bit tight so might need to scale the battery size back.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

18650's in the wet?

Comment

• ffr2608
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Oct 2009

That is possible but will try to get it all in the box. I could also add the low-profile s3 box to place the battery separately. Not ideal but possible.
                Attached Files

Comment

• tifosi12
                  Commander
                  • Jul 2020

Any news?

Please don't let this become another build thread that suddenly stopped. There's been at least one if not two 007 Lotus build threads that simply fizzled out.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Not just this thread, but nearly all 'look what I'm building/assembling' threads are false starts; fools errands that just waste our precious time. Usually launched by unexperienced, untested hobbyist who have no idea of the long-term commitment, knowledge, tools, and shop skills required to see the project through to a successful conclusion.

Before cluttering up the forum with your high expectation/low performance posts read Bob's book first!

FIRST: Buy "Diving Deep - The Beginner's Guide to RC Submarines"
                    I created this book to help answer many of the fundamental questions that people have about this amazing hobby. Available in digital download or hard copy , it can answer many of the questions that you might have. DO NOT reach out to me or anyone else if you haven't purchased and read this book!

Most of you idiots have the attention span of a Goldfish; you all hardly have the patience required to yank a foamy airplane out of its box and toss it into the air.

R/c submarining is a deferred gratification game; you are required to put in many, many hours of planning, assembling, testing, trimming, painting and shake-down.

But, let me make this clear: the above rant does not apply to people like Darrin Hataway -- guy's like him are pro's who GET THINGS DONE. Unfortunately -- and this is true to all forums that deal with Craft -- the guys who actually see a project through to completion are way outnumbered by those who start things they never finish.

I get your frustration, and I share it.

David
                    The Horrible
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• CC Clarke
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Aug 2020

I used to pass these out to the Gen X engineering teams with the poorest performance, with the admonishment, (can't go full-on Master Chief on them or they begin crying spontanteously) "Of course this is hard, that's why we hired you. Turn around. Do you see a line of people behind you trying to do this?

The Easy Buttons were a daily reminder that difficult jobs require extra dedication and effort to complete, not well-meaning intentions.

Talkers and quitters exist in every arena where work needs to be accomplished.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Button.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	179634

Comment

• ffr2608
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Oct 2009

Motors mounted up and bonded to the hull. Decided to go analog from this point forward. Acrylic, brass, stainless and styrene. I did find some old Subtech SBS seals so I will be mounting the pressure box tomorrow.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• tifosi12
                          Commander
                          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by ffr2608
                          Motors mounted up and bonded to the hull. Decided to go analog from this point forward. Acrylic, brass, stainless and styrene. I did find some old Subtech SBS seals so I will be mounting the pressure box tomorrow.
                          This is looking solid. I'm still amazed about how small these motors are. Didn't know that existed. Very cool and keep it going please.

Comment

• tifosi12
                            Commander
                            • Jul 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            Not just this thread, but nearly all 'look what I'm building/assembling' threads are false starts; fools errands that just waste our precious time. Usually launched by unexperienced, untested hobbyist who have no idea of the long-term commitment, knowledge, tools, and shop skills required to see the project through to a successful conclusion.

Before cluttering up the forum with your high expectation/low performance posts read Bob's book first!

FIRST: Buy "Diving Deep - The Beginner's Guide to RC Submarines"
                            I created this book to help answer many of the fundamental questions that people have about this amazing hobby. Available in digital download or hard copy , it can answer many of the questions that you might have. DO NOT reach out to me or anyone else if you haven't purchased and read this book!

Most of you idiots have the attention span of a Goldfish; you all hardly have the patience required to yank a foamy airplane out of its box and toss it into the air.

R/c submarining is a deferred gratification game; you are required to put in many, many hours of planning, assembling, testing, trimming, painting and shake-down.

But, let me make this clear: the above rant does not apply to people like Darrin Hataway -- guy's like him are pro's who GET THINGS DONE. Unfortunately -- and this is true to all forums that deal with Craft -- the guys who actually see a project through to completion are way outnumbered by those who start things they never finish.

I get your frustration, and I share it.

David
                            The Horrible
                            While harsh there is truth in this.

I can't fault anybody for trying and then giving up. My closet is testimony to that. But I do wonder what some folks were smoking who come in with great plans/CAD renderings etc and then fizzle out as soon as they have to put some of that into real life hardware.

So I'm thrilled to see that this project might actually go further.

PS: You mention Bob. I think he is not totally innocent in this either. If I remember correctly he once started his own Lotus and showed it in a video but then never finished it. In his case of course the reasons are different; he got bigger fish to fry.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tifosi12

While harsh there is truth in this.

I can't fault anybody for trying and then giving up. My closet is testimony to that. But I do wonder what some folks were smoking who come in with great plans/CAD renderings etc and then fizzle out as soon as they have to put some of that into real life hardware.

So I'm thrilled to see that this project might actually go further.

PS: You mention Bob. I think he is not totally innocent in this either. If I remember correctly he once started his own Lotus and showed it in a video but then never finished it. In his case of course the reasons are different; he got bigger fish to fry.
                              I strive for clarity. Not consensus. Ambiguity -- in practice or presentation -- is the stuff of chaos. You can have nice, or you can have truth. Pick one.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Oct 2009

Me not posting doesn’t mean I’m not building.

Comment

Working...