X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biggsgolf
    Captain
    • Jan 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Your very kind. Yes. Yes. I am wonderful, ain't I?
    Tired of me yet?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by biggsgolf

Tired of me yet?
      **** no!

You punch back. I like that!
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

What's happening here? Is this before the black wash?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	176102
        Nope.

Two steps removed from when the wash was sprayed on. After scrubbing the wash into every nook and corner.

I then achieve a very subtle streaking effect with a soft brush following the gravity line. That's what's being represented in this picture.

Oil paint dries very slowly, so no rush. The drying is accelerated with a heat gun (careful, things can go terribly wrong here) and a few days of sitting by its lonesome. At that point I get into the rusting agent application.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

What are these mediums and how are they used?
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.8 KB ID:	176104
          Get this stuff. 1 pt Modern Masters ME208 Iron Metal Effects Reactive Metallic Paint - Walmart.com

Plenty of how-to tutorials on YouTube.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Are you using anything on the cotton or paper towel to remove excess? Are you removing all wash except the weld lines?

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	176100
            The cotton and soft paper towel are used neat. They wipe away most of the wash from flat areas. Leaving wash around weld beads and into crevasses and negative draft areas. Washes and dry brushing are forms of false high lighting. These techniques used sparingly and to the correct surfaces makes the finished display 'pop' to the observer.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Is this Majestic Touch wash black? If so, I cannot find it, do you know where you got it from or an alternative?

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	176098
              Any linseed oil-based paint brand will do -- just go to an 'artist' store and ask the lisping, blue-haired, cattle nose-ringed, goth freak at the counter where the oil paints are. (Try not to laugh in her/his/it's... whatever's face when you do this). Don't forget the turpentine thinner/solvent.

Name:	DSCN0094.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	176116
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• biggsgolf
                Captain
                • Jan 2020

Any linseed oil-based paint brand will do -- just go to an 'artist' store and ask the lisping, blue-haired, cattle nose-ringed, goth freak at the counter where the oil paints are. (Try not to laugh in her/his/it's... whatever's face when you do this). Don't forget the turpentine thinner/solvent.

Name:	DSCN0094.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	176116
                LOL, yes, it will be a True Holiday experience! Yes, I have the turpentine thinner/solvent dialed in to my shopping list!

Comment

• biggsgolf
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2020

Originally posted by goshawk823
                  Something David taught me long ago when I built my OTW Type XXIII. The waterline scum line looks better when you use a fan blender brush with the scum color loaded onto it, and you draw downwards from the scum line and you do it in different lengths as you work your way across the hull.
                  One other thing he taught me for this specific boat…most XXIIIs were operating in cold water areas. The scum line was probably more beige/brown with little green.

Just adding something to consider as you finish your weathering.

Hope that was OK to add onto what David is teaching…
                  what medium(s) did you use to attain the beige/brown scum effect? Do you also have a photo? Thanks

Comment

• biggsgolf
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2020

Name:	Image 81.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	176130

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0094.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	176116
                    David, I am guessing you know what my next request is....... would you share the mediums and techniques you used to do the XXIII Scum line and below? I was going to wait to ask, but want to have a plan and shopping list!
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 74.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.4 KB ID:	176127 Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 87.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.0 KB ID:	176129
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by biggsgolf; 11-29-2023, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

what medium(s) did you use to attain the beige/brown scum effect? Do you also have a photo? Thanks
                      Do I have a photo?

Do.

I.

Have.

A.

Photo????

You're kidding!?... right?

The adhesive is water soluble (but becomes waterproof once dry) 'artist medium', used to prepare canvas for paint work. Another visit to woke-land (art supply store) will net you this stuff. The green 'Turf' is sold wherever they sell model train stuff.
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• biggsgolf
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2020

Do I have a photo?

Do.

I.

Have.

A.

Photo????

You're kidding!?... right?

The adhesive is water soluble (but becomes waterproof once dry) 'artist medium', used to prepare canvas for paint work. Another visit to woke-land (art supply store) will net you this stuff. The green 'Turf' is sold wherever they sell model train stuff.
                        hahahahah, I know you got pics! What did you spray the lower hull below the scum line for the XXIII weathered look? Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 87.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	176133

Comment

• Aug 2008

hahahahah, I know you got pics! What did you spray the lower hull below the scum line for the XXIII weathered look? Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 87.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.0 KB ID:	176133
                          2K polyurethane dark gray below waterline followed by rag and texture-sponge stippling with lighter shades of gray. Some tooth-paste masking between sponge applications to mix things up a bit.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Another taking over a post. Dave, stop.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• biggsgolf
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2020

2K polyurethane dark gray below waterline followed by rag and texture-sponge stippling with lighter shades of gray. Some tooth-paste masking between sponge applications to mix things up a bit.

David, what paint and color green is the waterline?

Name:	Image 13.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	176149

Comment

• Das Boot
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Dec 2019

I wanted more pictures and using reverse psychology, I got them. Great tutorial.
                                Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

Working...