Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

The torpedo room of a type XXIII submarine. The room was too short to fully pull the torpedoes from the tubes or to load them from inside. So they had to be loaded from outside through the muzzle doors and could only be pulled about 2/3rd of their lengths to service them. There were four foldable bunks on the port and six on the starboard side. Together with hammocks and mattresses on the floor the room could accommodate more than twelve people at once. On the port side there was a tiny galley with two cooking plates and an electrically heated pot right of them. Below the floor plates was the big battery that made the type XXIII together with the type XXI the first real submarines...

Click image for larger version

Name:	131302957_4315343335183947_6802839252700441147_n.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	150584

Comment

• Fergal
      Ensign
      • Jun 2021

Brilliant stuff, please keep it up. I've recently purchased a clock that was in U 2336 and bought the Bronco model as well. There is very little available regarding the interior of the XXIII so this has been fab.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
        Captain
        • Apr 2014

My pleasure....

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

Added the deep bilge pump, a double acting two cylinder piton pump, to the control room. Also some mor detail on the radio room (e.g. the curtain), the piping (e.g. the shut-off valves for the speaking tubes), cables and the engine telegraph next to the rudder control. fabrication wise I'm currently doing a star Wars Millenium Falcon and X-Wing diorama. But when that is done, I'll start printing an assembling tht stuff. goin to ne interesting ;-)

Name:	Zentrale-10.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	151882

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

O.K., after I've wrapped up my Millenium falcon diorama, I'll start making the interior for my 1:35 Bronco XXIII. I'll start with the control room, as the periscope tube an the hatch for the conning tower provide exact positioning along the central axis of the boat. After that the torpedo room an machine room will follow. As a first step I divided the main structure of the control room into printable subassemblies and cleaned up remaining errors. Big parts...will be a challenge. Today I will put a new screen in the resin tank and get the first test going. Gonna be interesting....

Name:	XXIII-80.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	152871

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

Kicked off and directly ran into some problems. During the print of the bottom section under the control room the LCD screen of my Elegoo Mars died.....shows in the print, obviously.

Name:	XXIII-81.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	152930

Good news is, that the print was good enough to test fit into the bronco hull....and it fits perfectly.

Name:	XXIII-82.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	152931

Consequences: visited the Amazonas an saw a special deal on an Elegoo Saturn and ordered it. Faster and more build volume. Will help positioning the big parts better for printing. The small one gets a new screen and then I'm all set for the next try tomorrow.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                Captain
                • Apr 2014

The bigger printer is printing and it is printing fine. Got the bottom section done with the regulating cells and the space under the control room floor (fresh and waste water tanks, supplies and ammo storage). The floor with the bilge is done as well. Dry fiting looks promising.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-83.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	153058
                Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-84.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	153059
                Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-85.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	153060
                Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-86.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	153064

Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-87.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	153062
                Click image for larger version  Name:	XXIII-88.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	153063
                Attached Files
                Last edited by DrSchmidt; 09-03-2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2014

Slow progress....printing large and thin structural parts is tricky an sometimes needs more than one try. But so far so good. Continuing with the control room and anything below, e.g. the piping for the bilge pump below the control room floorand the respective valves. All the pipes finally come together in the intake fllter of the bilge pump.

Name:	XXIII-89.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	153216

All that goes below the floor and is painted (accoding with UBoat paint schemes) in grey white:

Name:	XXIII-90.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	153217

Name:	XXIII-91.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	153218

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Andreas,

WOW! I am impressed!!

What type printer are you using! This almost has to be resin? This is going to be a masterpiece for sure!

Rob
                    "Crazy old man working"

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2014

Thanks Rob. Yes, I use resin printers. I have an Elegoo Mars and an Elegoo Saturn and use ABS-like Elegoo resin.

Comment

• coryhenry
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jul 2020

Absolutely amazed at the modeling skills. That by itself is a great skill. Then to actualize it by printing a while other level. Great job!!

Comment

• Das Boot
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Dec 2019

Amazing work.
                          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2014

After two weeks on holiday I'm printing around the clock. The large structural parts have thin walls and complex geometries. So it often takes several tries to get it right. But after two years of making the CAD models, I don't want to compromise the quality....more pictures soon.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

I don’t blame you - get it right! We will just drool and be envious.
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2014

I printed allot, most of the parts 3-5 times, adjusting strategy, orientation and parameters to get things right. From the final parts I started building a mock up. Got the see that there was still room for improvement, e.g. the volume shrink of the resin when cured allows for a little bit thicker walls of the structural parts which drastically increases the quality. All that culminated in the parts shown. This is going to be the control room that I'll put into the boat...probably ;-)

Name:	XXIII-92.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	154087

Name:	XXIII-93.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	154088

Name:	XXIII-94.jpg