Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
    Looking very good Mr M. Inspiring as always.
    I get the same from your hull work on this project, Scott. Most inspiring, sir.

I'll get to work on the SD for this thing. I'll do some geometry to work out the topside displacement. I assume the same wall thickness as the recent ALBACORE? I'll slap a prototype SD together with a bigger-than-needed ballast tank (God knows we have plenty of hull length to play with!).

I'll also get to work on saddles, indexing pin-Velcro foundation and hull half indexing tabs. Anything else you can think I can provide from this end, Scott?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

Thanks Mate. There is one other thing that you could do if you have the time. The Russian make use of a swivel link on some of their subs. Its this thing here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	imageGNKAQ3M2 copy.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	131008

I was thinking of making one up in brass but having done that I lack the expertese to cast it in white metal. Its such a prominent item that I don't think that it should be ignored.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks Mate. There is one other thing that you could do if you have the time. The Russian make use of a swivel link on some of their subs. Its this thing here:

Name:	imageGNKAQ3M2 copy.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	131008

I was thinking of making one up in brass but having done that I lack the expertese to cast it in white metal. Its such a prominent item that I don't think that it should be ignored.
        This old salvage diver thinks those were lifting fixtures. There has to be at least one other set aft on the hull. Two elements to each: a fixed padeye that makes up to a reinforced foundation that is welded to the inner hull, and the long link that will stand vertical over the padeye when tension is applied to the salvage gear (a heavy wire cable, part of a massive lifting bridle). I think the sets of these would be better produced using a vacuum resin casting process.

However -- if I'm to get into fiddley work like this (WHICH I LOVE!) -- why not have me do the antennas, masts and scopes? If I do those fragile things then it would warrant a spin-casting tool for metal casting, and in that case, it's a good argument to indeed cast the lifting fixtures out of metal from the same ganged tool.

This is, FUN!

David
        The Horrible
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

I bow to your extensive knowledge and it would be great if you did the fiddly bits. And you right, it is fun!!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

I bow to your extensive knowledge and it would be great if you did the fiddly bits. And you right, it is fun!!!
            You chose wisely (any Indiana Jones fan's out there?.....). Give me the dimensions of those dumb-bell looking deck cavities.

And who's got good dope on the antennas, scopes, and snorkel used on these boats?

And I think it time for me to dust off the old masters I was working up for 1/96 crew. If we're gonna do this, lets do it right!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK, seeing that the 2.5" SD will loose about 20% of its displacement when in surfaced trim I want to affirm that your models waterline forward is between the lower line of the big sonar window and the top of the upper set of shutter doors and that after waterlines falls a bit over the upper edge of the rudder. Sound about right?

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                Commander
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

You chose wisely (any Indiana Jones fan's out there?.....). Give me the dimensions of those dumb-bell looking deck cavities.

And who's got good dope on the antennas, scopes, and snorkel used on these boats?

And I think it time for me to dust off the old masters I was working up for 1/96 crew. If we're gonna do this, lets do it right!

David

Holy ****.......

Also, David you may have already seen all of these, but here are a few photos I found online. Click image for larger version  Name:	35212647145_1c1003f4bd_z.jpg Views:	1 Size:	241.6 KB ID:	131035
                Click image for larger version  Name:	DrGCAksWoAEuqW5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	605.7 KB ID:	131042
                Click image for larger version  Name:	November Illustration.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	131043
                Click image for larger version  Name:	5dc3792f313441b6b1948f8bcbb959d7.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	131036
                Click image for larger version  Name:	1e06d9017fad4dab3f7f1d99049ae0c8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	322.0 KB ID:	131037
                Click image for larger version  Name:	3_129565.jpg Views:	1 Size:	321.8 KB ID:	131044
                Click image for larger version  Name:	November ill 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	18.0 KB ID:	131045

Click image for larger version  Name:	masts.jpg Views:	1 Size:	237.0 KB ID:	131046

I know these are models, so that doesn't mean squat in terms of accuracy, but still... Click image for larger version  Name:	7450_11-auto_downl.jpg Views:	3 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	131040
                Click image for larger version  Name:	p9112326.jpg Views:	1 Size:	158.4 KB ID:	131041

Do you have any editions of Guide to the Soviet Navy by Norman Polmar? Published throughout the 80's in at least 5 editions. Let me know if you don't and I'll get you hooked up.

Last edited by DMTNT; 03-11-2019, 05:47 PM.
                Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

The indentations are two 5mm circles set 10mm centre to centre at present, but I can easily modify them to whatever size you think is appropriate.

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

Some mast photographs;

Name:	29-3933077-2-watermark-5143b9cd7efa6e6b37307b2c-108-24-10-10-se copy.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	131049

Name:	26-3930040-548173449 copy.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	131050

Name:	78d5a1a5af46d5277c72862fd1b904ec copy.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	131051

Name:	image_38902 copy.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	131052

Name:	627-November akterskeppp från torn-131215 copy.png
Views:	121
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	131053

Name:	image_39020 copy.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	131054

Comment

• Aug 2008

The indentations are two 5mm circles set 10mm centre to centre at present, but I can easily modify them to whatever size you think is appropriate.
                      OK. Good for starters, Scott. I'm on it.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

[QUOTE=HardRock;n131048]Some mast photographs;

Good stuff, I just filed them away. Thanks, Scott. Snoop-tray radar, and quad-DF I got (from the recent 1/96 KILO work), All others I need to make.

Get me a sail asap so I can work up the mast foundation, bridge, and SAS snorkel.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

Will do. Rough but ready!

Comment

• Davidh
                            Captain
                            • Nov 2010

Hey Scott,

I was looking over the other forums and found a pic of Luke Foley. I didn’t know he’d taken up RC subs since leaving State politics..... Apologies to Bob Gaito. (AMA east hobby show) Bob , you just happen to be the spitting image of an ex New south Wales pollie!

Great pic. By the way.
                            Last edited by Davidh; 03-12-2019, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• Tirfing
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Jan 2017

Name:	6ddf4c1e9f91.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	131075 Sail of one of the sisters as a memorial.An ESM (peapot) i believe.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tirfing

Name:	6ddf4c1e9f91.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	131075 Sail of one of the sisters as a memorial.An ESM (peapot) i believe.
                                Good catch. Thank you, sir.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...