November Holiday

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

These are shots of SIERRA-2 class submarines, but suggest how the NOVEMBER bow planes might have worked.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

Articulated bow planes; opening flaps; working rear trim tabs; dancing girls and elephants! Its raining here today so I'm off to the shed to butcher some more renshape and start on the rear planes for which I actually have some good drawings. More later. Thanks for all the info men. I really appreciated your input and the photographs. Onward!

Comment

• Tirfing
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jan 2017

For your aft diving planes I would like to submit the following. It is a dark morning here in Sweden but without snow. At the moment I cannot post Pictures. I dug for more yesterday. Will try with e-mail.

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Wet days are great on the farm. No guilt whatsoever about not doing any work - and, she who must be obeyed won't walk 300 metres through the rain to get to my shed. Heaven. Today's work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1850.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	587.0 KB
ID:	130213

Name:	IMG_1851.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	130214

Name:	IMG_1854.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	542.2 KB
ID:	130215

I had to get a bit radical with the rear end because I had no really accurate way of checking the contour of the rear section. There is a 3 mm plywood stringer running down the mid line of this thing so I went all the way in there to get access to it and to use it as a depth guage for the tail planes. And it worked!

Name:	IMG_1855.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	130216

Name:	IMG_1856.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	130217

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	130218

Name:	IMG_1858.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	130220
          Attached Files

Comment

• Tirfing
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jan 2017

Again. Very nice work. Well done.Do you use black paper as a centerline of the rudder or paint?

Comment

• DMTNT
              Commander
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              These are shots of SIERRA-2 class submarines, but suggest how the NOVEMBER bow planes might have worked.

David
              I really want to see how you would make that work. The ones I have seen, like the Engel boats, with the large & permanent opening for the bow planes give a practical, albeit non-scale, and frankly not as pretty, solution.
              Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• HardRock
                Vice Admiral
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Tirfing
                Again. Very nice work. Well done.Do you use black paper as a centerline of the rudder or paint?
                Its a very thin piece of plastic that I cut to the plan dimensions then sanded the renshape down to the plastic. (Old Merriman trick - performed by Old Merriman!). Provides a constant center line reference no matter how much you sand off it.

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

I'm preparing the tail plane sockets tomorrow. I'm planning to slather some bondo into each of the sockets and oress the tail plane master into it. Prior to that I ground a bevel on the master and I'll coat it with some blue PVA so that I have some chance of getting it out of there and leaving a nice clean socket behing.

The beveled master root section;

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	130239

Basic alignment check. Looks OK.

Name:	IMG_1864.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	130240

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good plan on the horizontal stabilizer parts -- indexing them to the stern with slots. This will make kit assembly all the easier, Scott.

I assume the sail will be a separate piece. If so, this will permit building up different units of the class. And the chin sonar dome -- will that be a separate piece? I ask for the same reason as the sail.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

I was having a look at the sail this afternoon. There is a fillet at the base that runs right around the sail where it meets the deck. It appears to be too fine to add to the bottom of the sail unless the sail is first fixed to the deck. So the question is; do I fix the sail and make the fillet and the walkway consistant or just leave the fillet off and make the sail as a separate piece?

The chin bubble is fixed to the hull however its nothing that can't be removed with a belt sander if you really wanted to.

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

what if your sail went on like your horizontal stabilizer does? A portion of the deck surrounding the sail remains attached to the sail and a socket is placed in the deck. Then another sail can be popped in. Not trying to make more work for you, just shooting out an idea.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                          I was having a look at the sail this afternoon. There is a fillet at the base that runs right around the sail where it meets the deck. It appears to be too fine to add to the bottom of the sail unless the sail is first fixed to the deck. So the question is; do I fix the sail and make the fillet and the walkway consistant or just leave the fillet off and make the sail as a separate piece?

The chin bubble is fixed to the hull however its nothing that can't be removed with a belt sander if you really wanted to.
                          I recommend making the sail separate from the hull. This not only permits fitting of the different sail types, but also eases the hull tool making effort as well as the later lay-up chore. And making the sail a separate item permits you to slather all the details you want on it and capture it all with a rubber tool -- the final kit part will be a hollow cast sail. Like this:

And if the customer elects to keep the sail removable he gets easy access to the snorkel and any other mechanisms under the sail.

You can let the customer work out the fillet …. If they can't do that we demand they turn in their man-cards! Simply use a ball or dapping tool to form the fillet from Bondo:

Or, as you see here, there's no problem incorporating the fillet to the removable cast resin sail:

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            Or, as you see here, there's no problem incorporating the fillet to the removable cast resin sail:

David
                            LOL - yeah that is like saying to a beginner skater "Yeah just do a quadruple jump" see it can be done.......
                            Oh wait, this is Scott, never mind, he can do it.
                            Last edited by trout; 02-21-2019, 03:17 PM.
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Tirfing
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Jan 2017

As Pictures of the diving planes have been asked for I would like to publish the following. Lets hope it works better now.

Name:	un_ph17.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	130255

Comment

• Tirfing
                                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                                • Jan 2017

Just like Davids Sierra the lower door for the diving planes is opening inwards as the above one is opening in the other direction

Comment

Working...