November Holiday

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The stuff you have been unearthing, JHapprich, is amazing! Your contributions are vital. And kudo's to Scott for all the extra effort to 'get it right'.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
      Captain
      • Oct 2017

THX DAVID: go lern russian.... joke. isnt hard to find that data if you search the russian modeller and fan sites. just need to transcript the search request into cyrillic.

PS: what are kudo`s?
      Last edited by JHapprich; 02-28-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• JHapprich
        Captain
        • Oct 2017

Found some more:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	00020983.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	130552Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_3_1461768227.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	130553

note: the upper picture should show K-3 after conversion to 627A standard. total confusion accomplished! Jörg

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

OK., That's the one. K3 in 627A configuration it is. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• JHapprich
            Captain
            • Oct 2017

Good choice! would be my favorite design, too.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
              THX DAVID: go lern russian.... joke. isnt hard to find that data if you search the russian modeller and fan sites. just need to transcript the search request into cyrillic.

PS: what are kudo`s?
              Congratulations. You deserve them for unearthing all that good stuff, sir.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                Commander
                • Jun 2018

did a little tinkering n fixing...how`s that look like? Click image for larger version

Name:	scottsmenaceremastered.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	130543
                Bingo!

I will echo what David said - it is awesome to see you two go back and forth to get this just right. This is going to be a beautiful boat once it is finished.
                Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hey, NOVEMBER boy!

What's the distance between the base of the hub (the flat where the stern tube terminates) and the leading edge of the stern planes? I've started work on the propeller masters and I don't want them (the hub and dunce-cap) to be too long or too short. And at this scale, what's the distance between the after end of the dunce-cap and the leading edge of the stern plane?

I no longer trust the drawings as you may have, with the able assistance of JHapprich, changed things at the ass-end of this model.

And JHapprich: I assume the NOVEMBER had the variable camber feature on its bow planes. That excellent photo you provided (looked like retrieval of an exercise torpedo … been there, done that) looked to be a SIERRA. Any definitive dope on the N's bow planes?

I'm lov'n this!

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
                    Captain
                    • Oct 2017

Hey David!Nope, the picture youre refering to was not posted by me, think too it shows a sierra, maybe a victor II. No good shots from the bow planes, besides i am not sure november had becker planes.only know of the small trim flaps on the stern stabalizers. If it had, they would probably look like the ones on the victor. If i find out anything about it, ill post it here.
                    Jörg

Ps Brady, thank you. But i only did a minor change to the picture, scott is doing the work(it is his project), i am trying to provide some input that might help.without exageration, i may say the Novembers are my first submarine love,did research on them for almost 20 years now ever since beeing a young teenager.building one put me in touch with the rc sub hobby and i was really excited when i read k-3 beeing preserved as a museum.
                    Last edited by JHapprich; 02-28-2019, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• JHapprich
                      Captain
                      • Oct 2017

Stupid me, David, just had an idea.have got some good shots of the ill-fated K-8 on fire .she has the bow planes out, ill see if i might enhance the details....

Comment

• DMTNT
                        Commander
                        • Jun 2018

Ps Brady, thank you. But i only did a minor change to the picture, scott is doing the work(it is his project), i am trying to provide some input that might help.without exageration, i may say the Novembers are my first submarine love,did research on them for almost 20 years now ever since beeing a young teenager.building one put me in touch with the rc sub hobby and i was really excited when i read k-3 beeing preserved as a museum.
                        You bet, Jörg. You managed to convey what I was thinking but couldn't find the right words for. From my vantage point, Scott's second sail was too long and the curve of the spine looked off. Your adjustment looks spot on. In his hands, I know he'll make it turn out perfect. This is so fascinating to see master craftsman such as yourselves at work, creating something beautiful from nothing but a chunk of PVC pipe.

Like I said above, I really respect his efforts to get this boat just right. And you sir, are an absolute bloodhound when it comes to digging up great info & pics. I don't quite know what it is about the November that I like so much, but she does have a certain special character about her. I have this U212 that David gave me as being next on my list, but once this boat comes to fruition, I really, really want to build one.

Keep it up, gents. This is going to be legendary.

-Brady
                        Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Stupid me, David, just had an idea.have got some good shots of the ill-fated K-8 on fire .she has the bow planes out, ill see if i might enhance the details....
                          YES! I remember that shot (taken from a NATO aircraft?). That would tell the tale!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            Hey, NOVEMBER boy!

What's the distance between the base of the hub (the flat where the stern tube terminates) and the leading edge of the stern planes? I've started work on the propeller masters and I don't want them (the hub and dunce-cap) to be too long or too short. And at this scale, what's the distance between the after end of the dunce-cap and the leading edge of the stern plane?

I no longer trust the drawings as you may have, with the able assistance of JHapprich, changed things at the ass-end of this model.

And JHapprich: I assume the NOVEMBER had the variable camber feature on its bow planes. That excellent photo you provided (looked like retrieval of an exercise torpedo … been there, done that) looked to be a SIERRA. Any definitive dope on the N's bow planes?

I'm lov'n this!

David
                            Stern tube termination to leading edge of stern plane is 15 mm. The gap between the end of the dunce cap and the stern plane leading edge is 3 mm.
                            I've made the bore of the stern tube 1/8 (or 3.2mm) and I'm planning to use 3mm shafts so that there is is nice loose fit within the tubes; any chance you can make the bore of the props 3mm rather than the usual 1/8"? Failing that, something smaller is better for me; I can always tap a smaller hole (around 2.5mm) out to M3 and just screw the props on. I know, I know... the metric system is the work of the devil etc., etc. If this is all too much trouble I'll make do with what ever is the most practical solution from your point of view.

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

Now that we have decided to make this a representation (and I use the term very loosely) of K3 I have been doing some mathema-tactics (the dangerous art allowing a soldier access to pencils and paper) and using this image which I realise is not the "a" version but will be close to it;

Name:	snapshot.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	130585

I get a relative measurement which then allows me to deduce a ratio which ends up giving me a sail length of 125 mm at 1/96 scale. Also gives me a sail height of 36.5 mm.

And this one;

Name:	627a-dykplan utfällda-190219.png
Views:	91
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	130586

gives me a sail width of 19.75 mm. So, using those numbers and this profile;

Name:	image_39061.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	130587

gives me this result,

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	130588

Name:	IMG_1898.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	130589

which pleases me a lot more than the earlier versions that just didn't look right.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock

Stern tube termination to leading edge of stern plane is 15 mm. The gap between the end of the dunce cap and the stern plane leading edge is 3 mm.
                                I've made the bore of the stern tube 1/8 (or 3.2mm) and I'm planning to use 3mm shafts so that there is is nice loose fit within the tubes; any chance you can make the bore of the props 3mm rather than the usual 1/8"? Failing that, something smaller is better for me; I can always tap a smaller hole (around 2.5mm) out to M3 and just screw the props on. I know, I know... the metric system is the work of the devil etc., etc. If this is all too much trouble I'll make do with what ever is the most practical solution from your point of view.
                                Good stuff, Scott. Should have propeller master pictures up this weekend. No sweat providing the bore you want, I just change the mandrel diameter in the rubber tool I use to cast the white-metal propeller part. One size mandrel for us God-like Imperial users, and another size for you satanic base-ten types. Same tool, different mandrels.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...