Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JHapprich
    Captain
    • Oct 2017

any idea on the projected type-627 offspring diagram. transporter? cruise-missile?
    ... took a closer look, could be a variant of the planned proj669 large attack submarine with enhanced sensors, 2 independent Torpedo compartments. That was an unbuild version based on proj627 some sort of transition between 1st and 2nd gen. Soviet ssn's
    Last edited by JHapprich; 03-03-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
      Did some more digging. How i do it? use google translator, transcription German(English) -> Russian, type "Projekt 627 Nuclear Submarine" -> lots of treasures :-))))

.. Построено: 1 / 12..Модификации:.• проект 627 – базовый предсерийный проект первой отечественной ПЛА (1958 г.).• проект 627А – усовершенствованный серийный проект с изменениями (1959 г.) (см. в тексте).• проект П-627А – неосуществлённый прое...

Уникальная конструкция и вооружение, первый поход на Северный полюс, катастрофа и вечная стоянка на приколе — ровно 60 лет назад, 17 января 1959 года, советский РИА Новости, 17.01.2019

Wow! Just ….. wow! Spent the morning clicking and saving those pictures to my hard-drive. Wonderful work, Jorg

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Jorg!!! Wow! How timely! Excellent sleuthing, sir.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

You are the Master. Can't wait to see those props. Meanwhile the marking out continues. About half the masking out is done. The rest will be scribed once the plug is painted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1912.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	130762

Name:	IMG_1911.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	130763

Name:	IMG_1907.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	130764

Comment

• JHapprich
              Captain
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Jorg!!! Wow! How timely! Excellent sleuthing, sir.

David
              Youre welcome...but what do u mean? the propeller pictures?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich

Youre welcome...but what do u mean? the propeller pictures?
                Yes, the propeller picture. Fortunately I had already started the work, and your photos validated how the dunce-cap is shaped as well as the propeller is not of the controlled-pitch type, as reported by one source I read.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

I hope that you are wearing some substantial foot wear this time around. Just sayin'

I have been giving the front sonar dome some thought lately. This is the current idea which uses thin tape overlaid with bare metal. Its OK, but the tape is a bit too wide. I'm going to experiment with waxed cotton thread as for formwork and see how that looks. Any other ideas are welcome.

Name:	IMG_1915.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	130825

Name:	IMG_1914.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	130826

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                      I hope that you are wearing some substantial foot wear this time around. Just sayin'

I have been giving the front sonar dome some thought lately. This is the current idea which uses thin tape overlaid with bare metal. Its OK, but the tape is a bit too wide. I'm going to experiment with waxed cotton thread as for formwork and see how that looks. Any other ideas are welcome.

Name:	IMG_1915.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	130825

Name:	IMG_1914.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	130826
                      thin adhesive strips followed by a blast of abrasive grit within the tape matrix. Remove the tape strips and wa, la: dished in GRP sonar window.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

That's a good idea. After painting the tape and bare metal looks clunky. I've been experimenting with etched brass. Looks a lot better.

Name:	IMG_1917.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	130829

Name:	IMG_1918.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	130830

Name:	IMG_1920.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	130831

Comment

• Aug 2008

You're getting giddy on us, pal; like a kid in a candy-store. Seems you are enjoying your transition from hack to real model-maker.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
                            Commander
                            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by HardRock
                            That's a good idea. After painting the tape and bare metal looks clunky. I've been experimenting with etched brass. Looks a lot better.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1917.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.7 KB ID:	130829
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1918.jpg Views:	1 Size:	302.0 KB ID:	130830
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1920.jpg Views:	1 Size:	406.9 KB ID:	130831
                            I agree with your conclusion, which is a shame because the tape looked so cool pre-primer. Great idea.

On the final hull, will the sonar windows be recessed or slightly raised?

*EDIT* - I'm with Tom on this - the foil look, especially the kind of "wrinkled" texture that those horizontal lines add a ton to the overall texture of the boat. Almost sort of like the skin on a B-52 when you look closely:

I don't know what it is about those silver colored sonar windows, but I've always really dug that look on the vintage Soviet boats. Perhaps you could build up a few layers of primer, then lay out a grid of horizontal & vertical lines made of brass or foil, and then do as David suggested and blast the remaining area with an abrasive?

Either way, keep doing exactly what you're doing. I just get more and more excited every time I open this thread.
                            Last edited by DMTNT; 03-06-2019, 05:33 PM.
                            Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Those are nice ideas for the sonar. I see the clunky that you are talking about, but having that molded in adds to the look of this sub. At our local craft store, there is a foil (gold, copper, aluminum) maybe that would reduce the bulkiness?
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Mar 2013

That's the foil that I used. Was hoping that it would be a little bit stiffer and mute the tape lines but its very thin and conforms almost exactly to the outline of the tape. I've found a better solution, I think. Workimng on that today.

Comment

Working...