Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

I haven't tried this yet, but it looks pretty viable: https://decalprofx.com/Vertical/1_ME...bby/Hobby.html

$90 from DigiKey: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...026-ND/1306087

Seems pricey for one decal, of course, but you'd be able to do up all of the other ones you'll need for that boat as well...

Comment

• The Boattrainman
      Commander
      • Mar 2016

Jim,

Watching your build, the Engel Typhoon is on my bucket list of retirement projects.

Custom decals are very pricey, would you consider a vinyl self adhesive sticker, you can either print it yourself using the paper below, or email it to a print shop and ask them to print it for you on vinyl.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/product...htm?src=mp-435

What I've done is print a lot of different sizes on the one large A4 vinyl sheet and picked the the one that is the right size by cutting it out carefully with a scalpel. The trick then is to give it a light spray of acrylic varnish as per this Humbrol product.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Humbrol-AD6...ear+coat+spray

Peel off the backing paper and stick on the sub, any subsequent varnish or sealer coats on the boat will additionally seal the sticker. Here's some vinyl lettering on my Skipjack using the same technique.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1027 (800x600).jpg Views:	1 Size:	261.6 KB ID:	121432

It's impossible to tell they are not decals, which I have a personal hatred of, hence the vinyl solution.

Rob
      Last edited by The Boattrainman; 12-09-2018, 05:11 PM.
      ''We're after men, and I wish to God I was with them........!''

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

So how does it work? I mean I know of vinyl labels that you can print out, but those are rectangles. How do you get the individual numbers?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• The Boattrainman
          Commander
          • Mar 2016

Sorry buddy, didn't make that clear.

The vinyl numbers are from this company below, but same principal, I don't have any pics of any custom vinyl stickers, they went on my WW2 Tanks.

Static display model boat kits, period wooden model ships, model ship fittings, Caldercraft boats at Maritime Models

Rob
          ''We're after men, and I wish to God I was with them........!''

Comment

• deepseadiver
            Commander
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
            I haven't tried this yet, but it looks pretty viable: https://decalprofx.com/Vertical/1_ME...bby/Hobby.html

$90 from DigiKey: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...026-ND/1306087

Seems pricey for one decal, of course, but you'd be able to do up all of the other ones you'll need for that boat as well...
            Hi SubHuman
            I found this on YouTube a different way to go . Looking at all possible options

In this video I walk through the steps I took to create my own home made decals. This particular one went on the B-24 Liberator Strange Cargo. Materials:1....

Water slide decals are thinner than many other decorative techniques (such as vinyl stickers) and as they are printed and able to slide in the water and tran...
            Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-14-2018, 03:17 AM.
            Put your mind to it. If there's a will there's a way!

Comment

• deepseadiver
              Commander
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by The Boattrainman
              Sorry buddy, didn't make that clear.

The vinyl numbers are from this company below, but same principal, I don't have any pics of any custom vinyl stickers, they went on my WW2 Tanks.

https://www.maritime-models.co.uk/ac...-markings.html

Rob
              thank you for your help Rob, much appreciated with your ideas got me thinking.
              Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-10-2018, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                Commander
                • Aug 2008

I think all I have to do is print up the picture of the correct size by using power point make sure the colors, are correct and print it on that special decal label water transfer paper then spray seal it . Then trim it out and water transfer to the submarine.

I was told to use a laser printer, if I have one because the print was suppose to come out even better . Keep in mind I like the vinyl idea' but that's very expensive, for what im doing its a small label logo .

So I think the quality, will be just fine with out spending tons of money, on one small decal is it really worth it ?
                I think this is a small decal it will look just as good as vinyl because its small, otherwise I would use a vinyl method.
                I will spray a flat sealer over the decal once its on the sub for water proofing!
                Jim

Water slide decals are thinner than many other decorative techniques (such as vinyl stickers) and as they are printed and able to slide in the water and tran...
                Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-09-2018, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                  Commander
                  • Aug 2008

thanks to Bob Martin, I installed a air valve which is a better way to pressurize the WTC to check for leaks. Place some pressurized air inside then place in s pool check for bubbles .
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-13-2018, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                    Commander
                    • Aug 2008

Valve to be able to check the WTC electronics box for water tight seal integrity
                    Attached Files

Comment

• deepseadiver
                      Commander
                      • Aug 2008

I wish I could make my Avatar picture bigger or a little longer. there is a story behind that picture if anyone ever wants to know.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-13-2018, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                        Commander
                        • Aug 2008

A gentlemen from England shared this with me after a period of time this happened to one of his typhoon propeller, shafts. I wanted to share this .

He explained to me, is when the propellers, hit some grass, or things in the water, over time you will get this main drive gear, to slip and pull out from it's mount and slip and spin around the drive shaft. . So what he did was drill, a hole through the gear, and shaft, and placed a pin . I will look at my gear ,system also see what I can do to make sure this does not happen to me . Comments are welcome everyone. Anyone else have this problem please share.

Seems that the motor keeps trying to turn because somethings binding the prop and something breaks!

Attached Files
                        Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-14-2018, 03:24 AM.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                          Commander
                          • Aug 2008

NEED SOME HELP ANY ONE ! I posted a picture of a watt meter that was suppose to work for 6 volts system because my typhoon is a 6 volt system. Seems to work on 12 volts only does not even glow light up does nothing on 6 volts. I want some thing that works .Can someone send me a link of a 6 volt meter that works for sure. much appreciated.

( problem fixed )

thanks Jim
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-21-2018, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

There is an auxiliary power connector adjacent to the main input on that meter, if you hook that up to a voltage source of 5 volts or more I would expect it to work.

Comment

• deepseadiver
                              Commander
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                              There is an auxiliary power connector adjacent to the main input on that meter, if you hook that up to a voltage source of 5 volts or more I would expect it to work.
                              Hi Subculture
                              thank you that is awesome news I will try it and get back to you. I wish the vendor had told me about this nothing was mentioned I got it off of eBay .

Jim

Comment

• Subculture
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Didn’t the unit come with some instructions?

Comment

Working...