Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Yup did that David on the test piece. So far no krinkles or other issues, seems fine after a few days. Have not tried a clear coat yet. I read that the Tamiya works with enamels or acrylics. I always try to test before committing.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spray...s-33-dull-red/

Now that you mention that, I should just use a Tamiya primer on the lower hull. Not even mix the types of paint.
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 07-25-2021, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
      Yup did that David on the test piece. So far no krinkles or other issues, seems fine after a few days. Have not tried a clear coat yet. I read that the Tamiya works with enamels or acrylics. I always try to test before committing.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spray...s-33-dull-red/

Now that you mention that, I should just use a Tamiya primer on the lower hull. Not even mix the types of paint.
      The real test is this: On the two chemistries applied and dry on your test article, apply some high-stick masking tape and pull. If things hold up, fine. If not, change your game plan.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

I just rubbed standard masking tape on and rubbed it on good. No paint peeling on any colors. Going to leave it on a few hours and try again for ****s and giggles to see what happens.

BTW my test plastic is the clear acetate used on product packaging. I gave it a very good sanding and wipe before applying the lighter gray Rustoleum primer.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I just rubbed standard masking tape on and rubbed it on good. No paint peeling on any colors. Going to leave it on a few hours and try again for ****s and giggles to see what happens.

BTW my test plastic is the clear acetate used on product packaging. I gave it a very good sanding and wipe before applying the lighter gray Rustoleum primer.
          Sounds like a valid test to me, Ken. Go forth and make fumes.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail (20).jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.8 KB ID:	151721 I'm using this flat red primer for the anti-foul. Also this for the paint to stick really well.
            PLAS-STICK® A-2330S™ POLYOLEFIN ADHESION PROMOTER (axaltacs.com)
            Last edited by Das Boot; 07-25-2021, 11:18 PM.
            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

Hmmm will keep those things in mind.

Question for anyone that built the SJ. Did you use the photo etch brass parts? They get glued right to the styrene. Should any of the areas under the styrene be opened up? Like under the MSW suction and discharge openings? Think I saw David use foil on the deck ballast vents.

Any pictures please?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hmmm will keep those things in mind.

Question for anyone that built the SJ. Did you use the photo etch brass parts? They get glued right to the styrene. Should any of the areas under the styrene be opened up? Like under the MSW suction and discharge openings? Think I saw David use foil on the deck ballast vents.

Any pictures please?
                Don't open up the holes under the main sea water and axillary sea water gratings! The over-pressure caused by a gas initiated blow will likely unseat the bond between the acid-etched parts and hull and you'll loose them.

Here's how I represented the 'silver metal' face-rings of MBTV's. I've also tossed in a few other 'detailing' tips you might find useful, Ken:

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2014

Great help David, thanks. What are you doing with the length of wire with the tweezers? Don't see the final pic on that. I did those lift rings you added on my Marlin. I'll have to figure or make up that deck hatch that appears under the deck.
                  Last edited by Ken_NJ; 07-26-2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Great help David, thanks. Whatâs are you doing with the length of wire with the tweezers? Donât see the final pic on that. I did those lift rings you added on my Marlin. Iâll have to figure or make up that deck hatch that appears under the deck.
                    I'm using small gauge wire (zip-cord conductor is a fine source) to represent the down-haul cable that is associated with the McCann Bell submarine rescue system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9172.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	151751

Send me your address and I'll cast up a few of them for you.

Name:	DSCF9153.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	151750

Name:	DSCF4792.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	151749

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

I came across something I don't like working with, photo-etch. Don't know how those guys that build surface warships can work with so much of it.

Have all the little PE pieces removed from the tree and trimmed. There are round solid ones and round open ones the same size. I'd think the open ones would be below the waterline on the lower hull? SEE DDD and EEE. Then most of the others I can figure out by the scribed areas on the boat. Also have a few that I suspect go on the lower hull AAA, BBB and CCC?

Now if these are glued in place then sprayed with primer and paint, wouldn't some of the detail be lost? Asking since this is my first time working with PE.

Name:	IMG_3403.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	151807

Name:	IMG_3404.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	151809

Name:	IMG_3405.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	151808

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

Also have some parts primed.

Name:	IMG_3406.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	151811

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2014

I divided up the PE into three sections. Sail, upper hull and lower hull. I can't seem to find a match where these go. Anyone?

Name:	IMG_3407.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	151813

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Last edited by Das Boot; 07-28-2021, 03:46 PM.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2014

Awesome! Thank you!

Comment

• wlambing
                                Commander
                                • Nov 2020

Ken,

The problem with using that PE set is that almost all of the pieces should be inlet into the plastic, hull, sail, etc. for it to look right. The tiny oval for the periscope head, and the main sea water screens can be used as-is, but the rest should be flush with the plastic surface to which they are adhered. All cover plates, MBT vent valves and the like are flush to the surface on "modern", nuclear submarines are faired-in. Skipjack class was our first to really push that philosophy home. I have that PE set and am only using some of the parts. Otherwise, it's way more work than I want to do for something I intend to run the living crap out of!!

Your work is impeccable, and David's help will give you a stunning end product! Keep it up, and we'll see how she does at North Lake in September.

Take care,

Bill

Comment

Working...