Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Just to let you know that im not dead. Coming along on this modification. Im about 3/4 of the way thru it.Click image for larger version

Name:	const pics 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	92626Click image for larger version

Name:	const pics 004.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	92627Click image for larger version

Name:	const pics 005.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	92628Click image for larger version

Name:	const pics 008.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	92629
    Last edited by greenman407; 11-23-2014, 08:05 PM.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

OK, here we are , all done. Tomorrow we shall test in the kiddie pool. The reason why Im going to all this trouble is because the Seaviews stern planes are connected to the thrust nozzles. If the thrust nozzles are rapidly going up and down, because of APC jitter, then as you can imagine, you are losing a lot of thrust. Its not being directed back away from the sub in a straight line along its axis, but up and down and all around. The potential speed of the boat can never be realized. Plus being able to run and maintain periscope depth will not be possible.Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	92649Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	92650Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	92651
      Last edited by greenman407; 11-27-2014, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Ok so in to the kiddie pool. Im happy to say that not a ripple was generated by the stern planes. Steady as a rock. But.....................by adding all that sorbothane inside the battery WTC up in the bow.........shes way too bow heavy. So I am now trying to jam all the foam that I can get into the bow.Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	92660Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	92661Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	92662
        Last edited by greenman407; 11-30-2014, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

The removal of all sternplane flutter is quite a feat. I attribute 60% of it to moving the APC away from the source of the vibrations by putting it inside the battery WTC and insulating it with Sorbothane. Using a setting on the APC that is less sensitive to vibrations I attribute 20%. Curious enough that setting was the middle of the three options. Both the least sensitive and the highest setting transmitted too much flutter. The final 20% I attribute to a 3300mfd capacitor plugged into a spare channel on the receiver to tame some unknown mystery noise in the electronics. I wish that you could be here to see this thing. Its as if the APC were not connected at all. And yet it functions perfectly. I dialed in the trim today. Im surprised. I hit the nail on the head the first time. Stay tuned for some open water testing.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Howdy all! This new job is taking too much of my time. Not enough time left over for my favorite Hobby. My goal this weekend, among other things is to get the final trim right on this thing. It sits in the water leaning somewhat to the port. I have been moving weight and foam inside of the boat to get things on an even keel. My brother is back down for a visit so I hope to get some operating video of her , soon.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Ok we got it. It sits right well in the water. As you can tell from the pix. Water line surfaced is roughly midway below the top of the top row of windows. Submerged water line is right under the sail planes. I added a semi circular piece of foam to the front of the battery WTC. Unfortunately you can see it thru the front windows. So I painted it with this(see pix). This paint will not melt the foam like so many others. Being flat black, it should make the foam invisible.
              In a couple of weeks we will have some operational video.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	93065Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	93066Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	93067Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	93068Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	93069

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I ran across a couple of pictures of a beautifully done Seaview. I thought that it wouldnt hurt to post them here. The pictures say that it was built by a Dave Merriman. I got nothin......doesnt ring a bell. Anybody know who this cat is?Click image for larger version

Name:	davidmer57sea212.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	97750Click image for larger version

Name:	davidmer57sea213.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	97751

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

Never heard of him! Sounds suspicious though!
                  Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

I'm surrounded by idiots!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

I heard of that guy, brilliant man, but some say he went bonkers and wore pink shorts,smeared chocolate on himself and ran into the water singing "I am a mermaid, I am an artist, you can call me what you like" or something to that affect!
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

Send video - I have the money!!!

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                          I heard of that guy, brilliant man, but some say he went bonkers and wore pink shorts,smeared chocolate on himself and ran into the water singing "I am a mermaid, I am an artist, you can call me what you like" or something to that affect!

Name:	pink.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	97758
                          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Gentlemen, at long last, I have fulfilled my recent promise to get her back into the water. I used to live in Clearwater, only a couple of miles from my favorite Submarine/Duck pond. Well, that has all changed. Since my divorce, I now live in Zephyrhills, about 60 miles away from that pond. So getting all packed up and over there, is not as easy as it used to be. Therefore, I only go once in a while.
                            Todays trip was to test three things:
                            (1) the boats speed with the new motors
                            (2) to test the new ADF mounting system, recently moved up into the seperate WTC that houses the battery. We were looking for much improved periscope depth keeping
                            (3) reduced turning radius due to modifications to the rudders.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Mark,
                              That was a teaser, you left us hanging.....And how did it go?
                              Peace,
                              tom
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

How did it go? I am very pleased! First..........speed. She really moves out now. No, its not a Skipjack or a Albacore but it was very impressive. You will see that in some of the videos. As far as the ability to set her depth, she stays put right where I set it. No up and down garbage. My right joystick on the radio is detented on ch.2, the one I use for the dive planes. Just one click and it moves a proportional amount. I can set the control so that the base of the periscope is visible. Just one click down and the middle of the scope is visible.One more click and the scope just barely disappears. In my view this is excellent control. And the best part is.....set it and forget it. Except in the turns. When you take a turn when submerged, it wants to dive, so you have to haul back on the ch.2 stick to keep it in sight.
                                As far as reduced radius, yes ,it is much tighter. So here are a few shots from the outing. Ive got quite a few videos to go thru and get them up on Youtube, before I can post them.

Name:	009.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	98270Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	98271Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	98272Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	98273Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	98274

Comment

Working...