Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Well then, these are the 7 volt motors, and Im running them on 12 volts. I guess Mike sent me the wrong motors(garage Sale). I can switch over and run these on 7 .4 volts(Lipo). From what you have seen, is there any advantage to running the 12 volt motors over the 7.2s as far as Torque is concerned? If there is Ill buy a couple of 12 volt motors.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

According to the specs on Caswells motors, the 7 volt 540 motors are 5 pole(unusual) and turn 17,000 RPMs and have a stall of 11 amps. The 12 volt 550 motor has an 23,000 Rpm speed and a 28 amp stall. Based on this I would say that the 12 volters are twice as powerful, If these figures are accurate. I think I will order 4 of them considering they are so inexpensive and the Skipjack Subdriver has the 12 volt motor installed and I know what a good performer they are. I need two for the Seaview and two for the Albacore.
      Last edited by greenman407; 05-14-2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I was thinking about getting a couple of 35 turn crawler motors but all those modified motors have really short shafts and that wont work. I need a longer shaft because of the shaft seals installed in the motor bulkhead. Some of the aftermarket motors also have a flat spot on the shaft for the setscrew ,that runs the whole length of the shaft. That wont work either because the shaft seals wont seal around half a shaft,....ya know. The bad part is now Ive got to dig those motors out of the bulkhead. They are covered up and glued in somewhat. Too Bad I guess. Heavy sigh...................

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

No, that's a miss-print -- they're all three-pole motors, Mark.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Thanks, thats what I thought. Anyway I just ordered the four 12 volt motors. Also, I picked up another digital fish scale like I used to have. Ill use it to compare pull on various boats to determine whether a modification was successful or not.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

WHAT A PAIN! Digging out the old motors. I had them in there good.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 999.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	91488

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I need to reuse the small drive gears on the shaft. They are glued on there with Permatex Green Sleeve Retainer. So, I took a water hose on low and let it run over the shaft to cool it while I wacked off the motor shafts, just behind the gear. Im trying not to melt down those white Teflon shaft seals on the same shafts. Then Ill take those gears and heat them up with a torch and push out the old shaft remnants. OH CRUMS!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 1001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	91489

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

OOOOPPPPSSS!!! Looks like I stand corrected. The motors that Mike sent me WERE the 12 volt motors. What a Bummer Dude. They dont have enough torque. Ill have to search far and wide for suitable motors. Probably have to experiment with different wind motors and different number of blades on the empellors.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Refresh my memory Mark- what size of prop are you trying spin?

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Andy, they are two bladed empellors in a cort nozzle of sorts, measuring 1&9/16" in Dia. The motors get so hot that they lose power and you barely get back to shore. Im thinking of going to a Modified motor in the 27 turn to 35 turn variety.
                      The motors that come with the Subdrivers are usually fine, but perhaps being in a nozzle causes extra drag that they cant handle. If you take one of those motors out of your Subdriver, you can turn them very easily by hand. If you take a Modified brushed motor that you find in a car model for instance, those motors are much more difficult to turn by hand owing to stronger magnets. Im thinking that, that alone tells much about there power generating capability. Brushed motors are becoming harder to find. Not much of a selection out there. The ones I have found have a very short shaft(1/2") which will make it more difficult to install.

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Never been easier to find, you just have to know where to look, Mark.

For your props running direct drive I would suggest you don't want a speed of any more than about 4000RPM loaded.

These would work-

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Im sorry Andy, I didnt give you all the info, they are running 3 to 1 gear reduction.
                          Last edited by greenman407; 05-29-2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by greenman407
                            Im sorry Andy, I didnt give you all the info, they are running 3 to 1 gear reduction.
                            500 or 400 size motors?

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Heres one I have been looking at. The shaft is a little short but I might be able to make it work.http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...tric-Motor-27T
                              Im thinking that a 35 turn crawler motor would be too slow. What do you think?

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

500 size would be perfect.

Comment

Working...