• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Working on it. ;-)

Just got temporarily side tracked...
    Last edited by redboat219; 01-22-2014, 08:46 PM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Anuci
      Banned
      • Aug 2008

I've just recently had an opportunity to review your work on the Bronco Type XXlll, Tom. I certainly agree with all previous positive comments made of your work. You have shown dedication and patience to overcome some of the common issues associated with this model submarine, and have produced a fine running model to boot. No pun intended. As always your documentation as it relates to your efforts are clear, concise, and to the point. A pleasure to follow. It has been an added pleasure to watch the finish model perform during its maiden voyage. These assemblies have always been a work in progress, as they say, but you have it running quite well, IMO.
      Good luck, in the build competition.

Al,
      Last edited by Anuci; 01-23-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Al,
        Thank you for the kind words. You are always the gentleman.
        Peace,
        tom
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Here is a photo that shows an antenna cable attached like the Bronco has it. Oh the choices.....
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Type 23_252.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	89761
          Traditional navigation lights have red on the port side and green on the starboard side, what is the blue light? Does the XXIII not use traditional Navigation lights?
          Also, this sub looks black, were they painted black?
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

the hand-painted hull numbers and uniforms on deck suggest this is a British war-prize.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Agreed, but I doubt they would repaint it, would they?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Just a bump. Any information on navigation lights. Did the Type XXIII use standard navigation lights? If not what was this they were using?
                Here is what the instructions say:

Name:	Navigation_Lights.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	89789

Just a note. I could not upload pictures using the standard way, I had to use basic uploader. Not sure if others are having the same issue or not.
                Last edited by trout; 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM. Reason: whining, complaining, and that sort of stuff

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout

Just a note. I could not upload pictures using the standard way, I had to use basic uploader. Not sure if others are having the same issue or not.
                  Basic Uploader? Standard way? Not sure I understand the problem here.
                  Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

Yep me too - problem is it no longer uploads multiple photos you need to do it 1 at a time. Takes quit a while too. Other problem is frequently you get error messages after you make a post. The post you make happens but it gives you some false message that you posted too fast after your last post etc. A lot of the double posts we are seeing from people like Merriman - could it be they are getting an error message and then posting again thinking their original posting failed?
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Mike,
                      The standard I referred to was using the Select Files button in the Insert Image pop up. It is not working. The Basic Uploader is circled in yellow.

Name:	Posting Error.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	89813
                      It may be a flash/java issue on the server needing to be updated.....Flash and Java both have had a ton of updates.
                      As far as the double postings, it is a known issue with vBulletin 4.2.2 and so is the posting error. vBulletin forum has suggestions for possible work arounds on these.
                      Last edited by trout; 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Yeah, me too
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Hopefully I will get a chance to finish the weld lines this weekend. So no thoughts on lights..... I will go with red/green then.

Comment

• Warpatroller
                            Lieutenant
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by trout
                            Just a bump. Any information on navigation lights. Did the Type XXIII use standard navigation lights? If not what was this they were using?
                            Here is what the instructions say:
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]25821[/ATTACH]

Navigation lights on XXIII - Red on port side, Green on starboard side, White on rear. Just like other Uboats.. Front boats had the bulbs removed, so no functional lights on a front boat..

Have no idea what Bronco was doing with their Orange and Blue stuff in the instructions.. Maybe that was on the XXIII boat, renamed "Sea Dragon", that was given to China, by the British, after the war..

Your "Black" XXIII photo of U2329, that you posted earlier, is most likely just dark grey, not black. That photo was taken, at Loch Ryan, off the coast of Scotland. U2329 was among the Operation Deadlight casualties. Any time you see the boat numbers painted on the tower like that, it means the boat is no longer in German hands. It was tagged for orderly disposal by the Brits.

U2329 was one of the 6 boats to actually go on a war patrol..
                            "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• Sublime
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Warpatroller
                              Navigation lights on XXIII - Red on port side, Green on starboard side, White on rear. Just like other Uboats.. Front boats had the bulbs removed, so no functional lights on a front boat..

Have no idea what Bronco was doing with their Orange and Blue stuff in the instructions.. Maybe that was on the XXIII boat, renamed "Sea Dragon", that was given to China, by the British, after the war..

Your "Black" XXIII photo of U2329, that you posted earlier, is most likely just dark grey, not black. That photo was taken, at Loch Ryan, off the coast of Scotland. U2329 was among the Operation Deadlight casualties. Any time you see the boat numbers painted on the tower like that, it means the boat is no longer in German hands. It was tagged for orderly disposal by the Brits.

U2329 was one of the 6 boats to actually go on a war patrol..
                              How long was the last Type XXIII still in service? Isn't a flashing "Orange/Amber" light now used to indicate a submarine underway? The blue could be describing a "law enforcement" flashing light? Was this thing used to patrol littoral areas for the Chinese Coast Guard or something. I've been noticing these submariners can really be sneaky. While checking various pictures of submarines, I sometimes noticed a dual radar system. One is usually the military system and then the other is appears to be a generic commercial nav radar found on yachts and the like. Makes one think...hmmm?

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Thank you Warpatroller, great information.

Sublime, there were two that were in service in the 1960's. U 2367 was raised in the mid 50's and renumbered S 171 called U-Hecht and the other was U 2365 also raised in the mid 50's and was renumbered S 170 and called U-Hai. The Hai sunk in 1967, killing all but one crew member and the Hecht was decommissioned a year later. These two subs were modified when made fit to sail. They were extended about 14' to accommodate new engines and equipment. Later they modified the sail to one that is sloping on the aft end. The other Type XXIIIs that survived the war, I am not sure the latest they ran until. The Sea Dragon that Warpatroller mentioned, I need to research.
                                Last edited by trout; 02-02-2014, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...