Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

Ok, now it's time to hook up the receiver to the coax cable. I have this single post antenna Rx.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	98075question is, I see no pad to solder the shield. Just a single point for the hard wire. I stripped back some of the heat shrink on the board so I won't contaminate the circuit by my big fingers.Click image for larger version

Views:	1
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	98076would there be another location, for the ground? Perhaps on the back side?
    Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-28-2015, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
      Ok, now it's time to hook up the receiver to the coax cable. I have this single post antenna Rx.[ATTACH=CONFIG]30825[/ATTACH]question is, I see no pad to solder the shield. Just a single point for the hard wire. I stripped back some of the heat shrink on the board so I won't contaminate the circuit by my big fingers.[ATTACH=CONFIG]30826[/ATTACH]would there be another location, for the ground? Perhaps on the back side?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0856.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	98077 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2486.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	98078 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2510.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	98079 I run a jumper wire from the shield to one of the output 'negative' pins.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

thank you sir. Any need to re shrink wrap the whole enchilada, or just tape?

Comment

• Aug 2008

thank you sir. Any need to re shrink wrap the whole enchilada, or just tape?
          Heat-shrink tube is made from non-conductive material so you are assured it will not be shorting across the pins of the soldered components atop the PCB. Not always the case with some tape adhesives -- some of them conduct to a degree and will either degrade performance of or FRY your receiver. Heat-shrink always in this application.

M
          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-28-2015, 11:57 AM.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
            Rear Admiral
            • Oct 2011

Plugged the battery into the driver, for a second or two. Huston, we have a problem! The 3 servos went bezerk. Nothing hooked up yet. No belcranks or pushrods. They just spun high speed. Tx not powered up. Magnetic switch would not shut off with a magnet. Any ideas?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Plugged the battery into the driver, for a second or two. Huston, we have a problem! The 3 servos went bezerk. Nothing hooked up yet. No belcranks or pushrods. They just spun high speed. Tx not powered up. Magnetic switch would not shut off with a magnet. Any ideas?
              Did you or did you not first 'bind' the receiver to the transmitter? Did you (gasp of horror!) read the r/c system start-up instructions? spread-spectrum r/c gear has a much different start-up protocol than the old AM and FM systems.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

First thing I did was read the Code matching warning, A. Reciever: press set to start. the only button I see is on the Viper15 that says set up. I pressed it. No lites because battery not connected, Naturally plugged the bat in and ..bonkers, servos spinnin and shafts running. Didn't even charge the new batteries. I thought they needed chargin when you get them. I hope I didnt fry anything. What is the 4 mini pin pig tail on the battery? Blu yel blk red wires It doesnt have a place to go? The instructions anrt to clear

Comment

• Aug 2008

First thing I did was read the Code matching warning, A. Reciever: press set to start. the only button I see is on the Viper15 that says set up. I pressed it. No lites because battery not connected, Naturally plugged the bat in and ..bonkers, servos spinnin and shafts running. Didn't even charge the new batteries. I thought they needed chargin when you get them. I hope I didnt fry anything. What is the 4 mini pin pig tail on the battery? Blu yel blk red wires It doesnt have a place to go? The instructions anrt to clear
                  OK, do the receiver-transmitter binding off SD. The ESC has nothing to do with it, Dave. Take it step-by-step. Your receiver is not listening to your transmitter yet.

The battery is fine, and not the issue. That little white plug with the wires is a 'balancing' plug. Used only for those interested in peak charging of the battery. We're not interested -- charging and discharging will be done through that big ugly red Dean's plug.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Oct 2011

OK started from scratch. guts are out of the tube and on a leval stand. pressed the set button on theADF green lite on,pressed again red blinks, ready for signal. Hold button down, turn on tx power. waited 30 seconds, released button and red flashed twice and turned green. zero results. At least thr motors and servos are not running now. Magnetic switch does not operate with magnet. I have a solid green lite on the ADF2, which should go out

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK started from scratch. guts are out of the tube and on a leval stand. pressed the set button on theADF green lite on,pressed again red blinks, ready for signal. Hold button down, turn on tx power. waited 30 seconds, released button and red flashed twice and turned green. zero results. At least thr motors and servos are not running now. Magnetic switch does not operate with magnet. I have a solid green lite on the ADF2, which should go out
                      OK, I'm totally confused. I was thinking r/c system. You were talking ADF2.

Let's get to basics, we'll work this out point-by-point, Dave. Sorry. I'm an idiot today.

Does your r/c system work .... just the receiver, battery, transmitter and servos. Does the system work?

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Transmitter lites up no response to controls. Im going to sleep on it for awhile. Its been a rather frustrating day. Wife lost her purse, with phone and credit cards. Cant get to work on this thing with all the interuptions going here and there to take care of that mess. TomorrowAM Ill run thru it again. Ill take pictures of the set up. Maby I overlooked something.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Sounds like you got a plate-full on the home front, Dave. Yeah, sleep on it. Tomorrow re-read the r/c system instructions, then follow them step-by-step, without alteration or skipping. You'll eventually get it. I never get a system up and running right the first time around either, pal.

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

OK, awake and coffeefied, ate my meds, had a quick conversation with Mr Nice, fed the katz. Boom!! first issue (switch) I checkd the (instructions) HA!! Big dummie numbah one. As per norm I put it in the ground circuit, just like a schematic, Oops, hense no indicator lite. Ray Charles could see the red wires on the top in the picture, in the instructions. Duh...Click image for larger version

Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	98132
                            Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-31-2015, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Oct 2011

Had a setback. When desoldering the little brass pad on the input side of the switch came off, with the wire. So, I ordered 2 more magnetic switches from Mike, should be here in a couple days. Meanwhile, I am following the HNSNBN Type IX..it starts thread and pickin up pointers on magnet mounting. I have brass decks, so it wont be quite the same. My number 2 Type IX however I havent decided on which deck I will use. Revell's or the Nautilus wood. The latter is better suited for an indoor display, but can be sealed waterproof.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

OK back in buisness. Got a couple 10a magnetic mission switches from Mike, and verry promptly I might add. This time putting the switch in the power circuit instead of the ground.Click image for larger version

Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	98184
                                Last edited by Von Hilde; 04-07-2015, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Working...