X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

Revell type IX project

I finally got the Revell U 505 kit. Glad I didnt have to pay retail. 70 bucks plus shipping beats the hundred plus for the typeVII post production I had to have. Then they re released it and it was everywhere. I just ordered a bunch of PE sets, which should start showing up any day. Im not going to build the 505 but a IXC with up armor. A 2cm flakvierling instead of the 3.7 that comes in the kit and a 105 deck gun. The vierling comes off the 1:72 schnellboat and the 105 is a resin and pe brass set with an aluminium machined barrell from cz models I orderd them as well as a complete hull set and deck brass set of hatches, plates, limber holes. I also ordered a complete deck set from cz but there is a wait on the production and may take a couple weeks. I have to pick a boat number that had the weapons configuration that I want to use for the model. heres the 105 kit Click image for larger version

Name:	105peset.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	103059slightly different than the 88 gun.on the type VII. The vierling will go on the lower wintergarden and the 3.7 on the aft main deck. I dont know how many IXCs had this weaponry, altho several IXDs did. The D hulls were several meters longer than the C and there was plenty of room to have one back there. the Flak 2cm c38 zwieling pe set from griffon for the schnellboat gun fits the 1;72 Italeri field gun set. The plastic molded gun barrels are too fat and the armor shield is too thick but thats what comes in the schnellboat conversion. Click image for larger version

Name:	2cmzwieling.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	103060
    Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-05-2014, 09:56 PM.
  • crazygary
    Captain
    • Sep 2012

Wow!! Really nicely detailed guns!!
    Should look great on the deck of your build!!

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

Got my 3 Eduard PE sets for the type IX The flood hole set, the deck hatch set and the hull set. Now Im still waiting for Oto's complete 3 piece deck set which should be here in about a week or so. Meantime it looks like a lot of chopping and cutting on the hull, will keep me occupied. I have started with the balast tank flood doors from the Eduard 53106 for the IXC part 1. There is 15 per side to open, so the cuban coffee is brewing so It shouldnt take too long. Im starting the clock at zero eight this morning and see how far I get. Should have photos by lunch today

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Hey, Von: Matt Thor says that this kit is 'infested with errors' http://www.subcommittee.com/phpBB3/v...11327&start=30 check out this thread for what specifics he does identify.

What's your call on this kit, you're a detail freak of the first order. What's your verdict, sir?

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Matt is dead on about detail flaws. The rivetts are of course one of the things that are too prominate as well as the weld seams.These can be toned down with some tender sanding. He mentioned something about the deck not being the proper width in some places. I have a 1/72 IX D 2 which is quite a bit longer than a IX C. The beam is a wider as well. My decks are no way interchangable, but I suspect thats just each of the model companies individual discrepancies in scale. At this point I dont know why I cut out all the balast flood doors. I guess the main reason is I spent so much on all the brass PE stuff, Im committed to utilise everything. This build will most likely be a display and not a runner. The kit itself, is perfect for a RC viehicle. The detail is great at a "standoff" perspective, and is large , but not too large to be convienent in transportation and storage. I am using U 534s pictures as well as 505 for close ups of details. As you may know 534 is an IX C 40 and was cut in 3 sections for the display. Quite a few pictures showing the top of the PH under the deck details during the restoration. It sure is cluttered. Dotnt know yet if I want to go into that much work for places you cant see. The 534 has a twin 3.7 flakzwilling, which could be a nice option to try to build. I think there is a 1:72 armored viehicle model that the resin parts could be aquired if one was interested in having one. Yesterday I put about 4 hours in the hull chopping and sanding. Heres a close up of a flood door on 505. Most of the doors on it have plates welded over. This one appears to have been welded shut. Click image for larger version

Name:	u-505_balast doorcloseup.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	90476 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0465.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	90477 about 4 hoursClick image for larger version

Name:	100_0465.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	90477 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0466.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	90478 heres the twin 3.7 on the 534 Click image for larger version

Name:	u534flak.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	90479

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thank you so much for the confirmation on this kit, Von Hilde. So, Matt Thor was the first to identify this kits shortcomings -- have to give him credit for that.

As you progress with your assembly and identify specific flaws, would share them with us so we can take corrective actions as we stick this kit together? Much appreciated, Von.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

Heres a couple of close ups of the towers of the 505 and 534. The rivetts arnt so pronounced on the 534 and you can bairly see them on thr 505Click image for larger version

Name:	u505tower.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	90480Click image for larger version

Name:	u534tower.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	90481Click image for larger version

Name:	U534towerdetail.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	90482

Comment

• Aug 2008

I understand the overstated-rivet issue with the kit. However, my big sweat is the dimensional representation of the model kit to the prototype (the U505 in Chicago); how does the kit measure up, proportionately, to the prototype? Are there physical inconsistencies between the 1/1 and the 1/72 other than the rivets?

I'll be launching into a proper WIP at this site soon -- which will become the foundation for our fittings kit and SD instruction -- and I want to get my duck in order about what this kit got right, scale-wise, and what it got wrong.

Help us ObyVon, you're our only hope!

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

The "Good news and bad news syndrome" the Master Chief, told us. Always tell the bad news first. Well , the bad news is, so far there ain't no good news. I mocked up the hull/deck and got out the dial indicator and calipers to check the 1:72 dimensions vs the DKM specs for the IXC 40s. First thing I notice is the deck sections don't actually line up with the hull sections.

I don't have a full size blueprint of the IXC40 so I don't know how many sections they actually have, but there is a discrepancy between amount on the kit's hull and deck.
                  The blueprints, they are the same amount and line up. This leads me to believe, there was more than one monkey in Revell's drawing circus. The photos of the 505 that I have were taken with a wide angle lens and the perspective is distorted but it appears that the width of the bow deck back to the beginning of the wood decking should be wider on the model. Maybe not so strait delta shape but a little more of a curve on the gunnel.

The model's bow is flat sided on the deck as well, the actual boat is rounded, The round opening is too small on the model as well. A little sanding and filler will take care of that. On my scratch build, I glued a piece of tubing after making the hole at the tip and filled and sanded. This one just needs to be a tad larger.

The dimensions for a IXC 40 are LOA 76.8m (252ft) 1:72= 42" Beam is6.8m (22ft4") 1:72= 3.7222" kit is right on the money that way. Perhaps another trip to Chicago is in order.

I won't be using the decks in the kit, however so I will have to see what Oto's look like before I do any extreme mods. He said I should have mine in about a week. There are a few discrepancies in the scale of the weapons barrels and tower accoutrements, details like the scopes and uzo etc. that the pe sets should take care of.

I think I will build a complete mock pressure hull rather than just a top cap like that is offered for the type VII to stick inside, so I can enclose the ballast tanks with the flat tops. This way I can put the little I beams that you see in the big limber holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	u-505jumper.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	90497Click image for larger version

Name:	u505bow.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	90498

Notice the chines are bowed at the place the boat hooks are stowed.
                  Last edited by Kazzer; 07-11-2015, 04:50 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thank you so much for the survey of the model and your observations as to the model kits departures from prototype. Any Idea what plans Revell of Germany might have been using as source material here?

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Good grief David! You're double posting again! Got a corn flake stuck under your keyboard eh? Spray the board with electrical contact cleaner. That usually fixes crumbs and corn flakes. And don't eat at the keyboard!

:-)
                      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        Thank you so much for the survey of the model and your observations as to the model kits departures from prototype. Any Idea what plans Revell of Germany might have been using as source material here?

M
                        I have seen plans, drawings and actual blueprints of the IXC40 but haven't been able to acquire any good ones. I'm sure Revell development group has access to them. The U 534 at Birkenhead has several drawings used as signage in front the display that appear to have been blown up portions of the original DKM drawings. Quite possible the souvenir shop has copies available. The US Navy had drawings made of the 505 after capture. I down loaded a small image with poor resolution, but I'm sure the Revell people got some first hand when the went to Chicago. The plans and drawings are "General plans" with basic layout and dimensions. The expression that no two boats were the same, is almost true. It was more like the lot being built at the same yard at the same time were similar. The deck lay out, as to what hatches were where and their purpose, was individual for each particular boat of that type and model. A snorkel equipped boat had different covers for the hatch abeam the tower port-side than the normal torpedo storage cover, Some were wood slats some were metal plates with holes. The torpedo external stores aft on either side had several variants of the metal or the wood with added steel strips for non skid, like the strips they used around the guns and windless. Click image for larger version

Name:	IXC40-Generalplan.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	90519 Click image for larger version

Name:	Typ_IXD2_Generalplan.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	90520 <--- too small The thumbnail shows the different covers. U 873 with the drums on deck has the metal torpedo storage covers along the gunnels, aftClick image for larger version

Name:	u166lepontarrire.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	90522
                        U166 with 6 wood slats

Name:	u167dateetlieuinconnus.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	90523 <----metal torpedo hatch cover

Name:	u166le105mm30ou31mai194.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	90524<--U166 fwd torpedo load hatches and storage abeam.
                        Sorry about the thumbnail attachment guys, momma scorpion nested under the keyboard this morning and I dun spilled my coffee and woke her and the babies and had to beat them all with the empty cup. Damned if the keyboard didn't get a couple licks during the may-lay.
                        Don't know how to make it go uniformly with the other pics.
                        (Editor - double click on the picture in edit mode and you can then alter the size)
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Kazzer; 03-17-2014, 05:54 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

• Aug 2008

What a rats-nest of 'choices'. However -- and I cling onto this fact for dear life -- the Revell of Germany 1/72 Type-9 is supposed to represent one specific boat; a boat that survives to this day; a boat that is now accessible (to the right people) and well documented, photographically at least; a boat that is the prototype of said model kit.

What I'm saying is, after you assemble the kit, will it faithfully the prototype, the U505. Is the kit accurate to that prototype? And, if not, where are the short-comings.

Von, I so much appreciate your looking into this matter and sharing your findings with us. Please, continue to employ the sharp knife.

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

the museum piece has a "visitor friendly" restored deck with quite a few small items removed and some access hatches planked over. The planks are simple wood planks and are spaced. The model's deck is accurate to the configguration of the deck prior to the capture. Revell omitted the 3inch50 holes all over the boat which wernt patched over during restoration. Click image for larger version

Name:	u505bow.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	90546Click image for larger version

Name:	U-505foredeckcapture.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	90547Click image for larger version

Name:	U-505capture.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	90548 notice the capture pics the deck is slotted. 505 was named"Junior" while being towed(U505's code name) The kit offers two options for time period. March 16-June4 44 and the second one at capture, June 4-20th 44 with the American flag. If one was to depict the after capture while being towed they would have to weather the boat with the all dark grey paintand the appropriate battle damage. While the 505 was on patrol with the 2nd flotilla prior to capture the boat was not the pritty light blue/grey like the museum painted it. The individual modeler who wants to depict the boat accurately will have to decided what time period and go for it. The kit has quite a lot of potential to be built and customised, and Im sure within the next few years there will be aftermarket options to make many different type IXs. with accessorie towers, decks, hull sections, interiors ect. Perhaps another contest using this kit as a perramiter by itself is in order. Today I am going to work on a dummy pressure hull to fill the void thru the limber holes. That is as soon as I am done with my tax man this morning
                            Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-17-2014, 06:20 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good luck with the taxes.

And thank you for the observations, Von. Much appreciated.

Hmmm .... a contest just for assemblies of this kit? How bout it, Mike?

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...