Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

Im starting to get confused here. The Wfly 8 is what I realy want. I see its still listed in the Caswell catalog as being in stock, but that may be a clerical error. I think I can get a new or used one somewhere in this world, just have to search. What was the reason for its discontinuance? If the 2,4 Ghz isnt compatible due to the freek being to low to penitrate the surface, will a 40Mhz transmitter have the capability? Of course my last query is, Is there anyone out there in subdriverland have one they would like to sell?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Yeah, I also looked at the site and it is still listed (Mike, what is the quantity?). The reason for 75MHz not being made is numbers. Who was still using it? A few crazy hobbiest like us. There was not enough volume to continue to make it.

A 40MHz signal will work in fresh water. You will be running in salt. So, for you to run you will need some portion of the antenna out of the water (no signal will penetrate). If that is the case, 2.4GHz has smorgasbord of choices. If you decide to use 75MHz, you will have the option of keeping some antenna out in salt water or run at depth in fresh water. 40MHz is not a legal channel for us to us in the U.S., that does not mean that some do not use it anyways.

As far as selling my Wfly transmitter? Not a chance. I like it too much. If Mike still has one snatch it up, I would recommend getting one.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by trout
        Yeah, I also looked at the site and it is still listed (Mike, what is the quantity?). The reason for 75MHz not being made is numbers. Who was still using it? A few crazy hobbiest like us. There was not enough volume to continue to make it.

A 40MHz signal will work in fresh water. You will be running in salt. So, for you to run you will need some portion of the antenna out of the water (no signal will penetrate). If that is the case, 2.4GHz has smorgasbord of choices. If you decide to use 75MHz, you will have the option of keeping some antenna out in salt water or run at depth in fresh water. 40MHz is not a legal channel for us to us in the U.S., that does not mean that some do not use it anyways.

As far as selling my Wfly transmitter? Not a chance. I like it too much. If Mike still has one snatch it up, I would recommend getting one.
        Roger that on the exposed antenna in the salt. Thats what I was intending to do with the 1/72 type IX with EZ and still be able to use the 75Mhz. and just run it at periscope depth, dynamicly. I will want to use the Wfly 8 for other things besides subs

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

OK I snatched up a Wfly8 from Mike. What is the model number of the FUTABA module, and where would I find this magicle, crystaless box, Obiwan? Never mind, belay my last, I see the answer on the Wfly8 info thread PK-FSM 69.95
          Last edited by Von Hilde; 02-08-2015, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

David,

Regarding the 2.4g antenna extension kit in the sail, does that mean that small board has to be contained inside it's own waterproof enclosure?
            Would placing it inside the SD and extending the small antenna work too?
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
              David,

Regarding the 2.4g antenna extension kit in the sail, does that mean that small board has to be contained inside it's own waterproof enclosure?
              Would placing it inside the SD and extending the small antenna work too?
              That 'small board' is the receiver -- it has to be near all the servos and other devices that make up to the channel ports; it has to be in the SD. The coaxial cable permits extending that receivers antenna off the board to up in the sail. Antenna length is exeptionally critical with the higher bands.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

You guys must have ESP. The next question on my list was antenna tuning. And placement. I know the length is criticle from the old BE&E class and fiddiling with communication radios. The retractible wire in a housing like the teleflex system is what I was thinking, wire comming out of the ADF antenna bucket on the tower. A fixed antenna hidden in a scope or schnorkle, is fine and simple on this small boat. Is it feasable to use a brass periscope with the coax soldered to it, included in the LOA? Or what about a small telescopic antenna of a portable FM radio. The ones that fold down with the swivel. You could disguise the tip with a plastic schnorkle head. When you stow the boat in the box, you just collaps it manually and fold it in the schnorkle bucket in the deck.
                Last edited by Von Hilde; 02-08-2015, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

Like Rosanna Danna said,"Its always something" I'll be dipped, if there arn't any FUTABA PK-FSMs in stock at Tamaya. Mike, have any??

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
                    You guys mus have ESP. The next question on my list was antenna tuning. And placement. I know the liength is criticle from the old BE&E class and fiddiling with communication radios. The retractible wire in a housing like the teleflex system is what I was thinking, wire comming out of the ADF antenna bucket on the tower. A fixed antenna hidden in a scope or schnorkle, is fine and simple on this small boat. Is it feasable to use a brass periscope with the coax soldered to it, included in the LOA? Or what about a small telescopic antenna of a portable FM radio. The ones that fold down with the swivel. You could disguise the tip with a plastic schnorkle head. When you stow the boat in the box, you just collaps it manually and fold it in the schnorkle bucket in the deck.
                    Not to worry, Dave. Today I'm finishing up the 'instruction manual' on how the user of 2.4gHz gear will attach the coax (conductor and shied) to the receiver board; run it through a watertight gland at the motor-bulkhead; up into the sail; and how to cut back the correct length of shield to make it the antenna of correct length for this very high frequency.

I'll publish the first draft of that document here, later today. And all further Sub-drivers will be shipped with a length of small diameter coaxial cable, a stuffing gland, a short length of heat-shrink tube, and a copy of the above mentioned document.

(Oh, and at six, EST, SpaceX will again try to propulsively land their Falcon-9 booster on an ocean platform for later use -- neat stuff!).

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Oct 2011

SPACEX looked like one of my early attempts at rocketeering OOPS!! or my Son's first time up at bat in the T Ball days. Mighty small window to get in the launch. The odds just went crazy in Vagas for it hitting the platform, whenever it goes. Actually had visions of it falling off the hardback, in a huge fireball, like the early V2 attempts. Anyway, the Caswell orders should be rolling in this week, and I can start laying the stuff out and taking inventory to see what Im lacking for this project. I'm sure there are couplers pushrods ect I have overlooked, and theres the matter of the FUABA gizmo that seems to be elusive at the moment. Vallentines Day is our 30th Anniversery, Isnt Electronics the 30 year gift?

Comment

• Aug 2008

SPACEX looked like one of my early attempts at rocketeering OOPS!! or my Son's first time up at bat in the T Ball days. Mighty small window to get in the launch. The odds just went crazy in Vagas for it hitting the platform, whenever it goes. Actually had visions of it falling off the hardback, in a huge fireball, like the early V2 attempts. Anyway, the Caswell orders should be rolling in this week, and I can start laying the stuff out and taking inventory to see what Im lacking for this project. I'm sure there are couplers pushrods ect I have overlooked, and theres the matter of the FUABA gizmo that seems to be elusive at the moment. Vallentines Day is our 30th Anniversery, Isnt Electronics the 30 year gift?
                        SpaceX tries again today, but weather will be an issue -- yeah, window is about five-seconds wide for this mission. If they get the booster back in one piece it will be a Robert Heinlein moment to be sure; a new-age of space travel! Here's a Eon Musk quote for you: "I plan on dying on Mars ... hopefully not on impact!". Gota love a guy like that.

You still need a motor-bulkhead for the Type-9 project?

Why yes, I just checked with Ellie: electronics are indeed acceptable as a 30 year anniversary gift (I write this ducking a thrown coffee cup!).

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Oct 2011

I wont be needing the motor bulkhead, since I went ahead an ordered a twin motor and shaft 2.5 EZ driver along with all the other stuff that I think I need, in order to expidite the project. I made the mistake with Kim, on the aniversery that China was the theme. Took her to dinner at "China Garden West" restaurant in Searstown. After dinner we went next door to the jewelry store, and looke at fine china sets. Ended Taking a verbel lashing so, I got her a couple of big diamond earings instead. Isnt that stuff suppose to be receipricle gifting? I could giver my Apple tablet and say thanks for the wonderfull electronics you bought me, as I give her the flowers. If I play my cards right......perhaps a coctail or 2 and some chocolats....candles???

Comment

• Aug 2008

Execute the plan only after ascertaining an unobstructed escape route, secure safe-house, and securing a Restraining Order. Then, I think, you'll be good to go with the gift idea.

Oh ... does she carry? If so, before the big announcement, when she's not looking, CA her purse closed and/or wear Sneaker's! After you make the gift pitch she'll be so busy accessing the gun you'll have a good chance at getting out of there alive.

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Oct 2011

Replace her carry with my Son's Airsoft copy, a little flat black on the muzzel, she wont know the differance after the coctail, I'm GTG shimate. 30 yr is pearl, so shes getting a 18k conch shell pendant with a conch pearl inside, form Emeralds International on Duval. She'll never even ask about all the mail man stops, this week. Those receipts will be shredded, then burned, ashes out on the evening tide.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Replace her carry with my Son's Airsoft copy, a little flat black on the muzzel, she wont know the differance after the coctail, I'm GTG shimate. 30 yr is pearl, so shes getting a 18k conch shell pendant with a conch pearl inside, form Emeralds International on Duval. She'll never even ask about all the mail man stops, this week. Those receipts will be shredded, then burned, ashes out on the evening tide.
                                ... and a free ride on the Conch-train.

M
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...