Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

The hatches in the Nautilus sticker deck are not so dynamic, so some PE stuff will be used. I went crazy when the type IX kit came out and ordered all the various PE stuff available at the time. I ended up with a lot of duplicate hatches and stuff, from Eduardo, white ensign, model brass, CZ! Otto ect. I have 3 type IXs, so it's not going to be wasted. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	98513Click image for larger version

Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	98514Italeri 1/72 flakzwieling that is part of an anti aircraft battery kit. Instead of the single 7.5cm.Click image for larger version

Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	98515 Brass PE parts are available for this gun from the Griffon 1/72 Shnellboat, accessories set, but I am saving them for a display model.Click image for larger version

Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	98516
    Last edited by Von Hilde; 05-11-2015, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

Added a few more tid bits todayClick image for larger version

Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	98519

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

Todays question is about the rigging and the removable tower and decks, situation. I would assume, the tower will have the rigging perminately affixed and have the fore and aft jumper wire secure points detachable, somehow. I see some people dont even use any, just for the simplicity of the operation. More stuff to get flotsum and jetsum.(thats seeweed and old fishing line and bird feathers,and poop.) that floats on and under the water. Any good ideas? magnets, jewelry clips or something clever? I will be using electric guitar (e) first string which is steel .010 gage for the jumper. I have contimplated securig the tower to the center deck section perminately. Using the bow deck section and stern section as secure points for the wires. Basiclly a 3 piece, interlocking deck all tied together with the jumper, that can be removed, as a unit and stashed for hull maintainace, or driver access.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
          Todays question is about the rigging and the removable tower and decks, situation. I would assume, the tower will have the rigging perminately affixed and have the fore and aft jumper wire secure points detachable, somehow. I see some people dont even use any, just for the simplicity of the operation. More stuff to get flotsum and jetsum.(thats seeweed and old fishing line and bird feathers,and poop.) that floats on and under the water. Any good ideas? magnets, jewelry clips or something clever? I will be using electric guitar (e) first string which is steel .010 gage for the jumper. I have contimplated securig the tower to the center deck section perminately. Using the bow deck section and stern section as secure points for the wires. Basiclly a 3 piece, interlocking deck all tied together with the jumper, that can be removed, as a unit and stashed for hull maintainace, or driver access.
          Make the rigging fixtures from brass so they don't break off the deck and sail. Instead of turnbuckles use these tiny magnets http://www.gaussboys.com/store/index...rs/c0103g.html to hold the rigging wire --forward jumper/antenna wire breaks at the sail, after jumper/antenna wire breaks at the after fixture. This arrangement insures that if the jumper/antenna wire gets loose underway, it won't fly back and foul the propellers. Being able to break the wires at the magnets permits easy attachement/removal of the sail and deck for servicing of the do-dadd's within the hull.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

... Oh, and use black elastic thread.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

OK, just orderd a hundred of those little buggers. Yeah, I had considderd the chance of trailing irish pennets in the wheels, jerking the entire assembly off the hull. Ive used the elastic string aft of the typicle U boat stern deck stantios to keep tention on te jumper. One time a bridal with springs under the sub deck when using piano wire. Or guitar strings. Those little magnets will solve the whole enigma for me. Thanks, Dave. I may use that hundred up, a lot sooner than I think. Mighta shouldacoulda, have gone for two hundred. I just glanced over the bench and saw 6 projects without rigging. Some are going to the "Japanese Navy" for sure. How fine is your elastic thread, diameter wise?

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK, just orderd a hundred of those little buggers. Yeah, I had considderd the chance of trailing irish pennets in the wheels, jerking the entire assembly off the hull. Ive used the elastic string aft of the typicle U boat stern deck stantios to keep tention on te jumper. One time a bridal with springs under the sub deck when using piano wire. Or guitar strings. Those little magnets will solve the whole enigma for me. Thanks, Dave. I may use that hundred up, a lot sooner than I think. Mighta shouldacoulda, have gone for two hundred. I just glanced over the bench and saw 6 projects without rigging. Some are going to the "Japanese Navy" for sure. How fine is your elastic thread, diameter wise?
                Blame Gene Berger, I stoll the rigging ideas from him.

The typical elastic black thread I've found scales well with 1/72 and larger stuff. Assuming prototype jumper/antenna cable diameter between 1/2" - 3/4". Wax it to knock down any 'fuzz'.

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

the little bitty teeney weeney magnets came yesterday, Those people are fast. The "super magnets" are not as powerful as I thought, but they will suffice. Definately will have to use the magnifier lamp to rig the cables. Being it's Sunday, chances of finding the thread may have to wait till tomorrow. A trip to the flea market this afternoon may turn up something tho.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Oct 2011

Salt water shake downClick image for larger version

Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	98586Click image for larger version

Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	98587Click image for larger version

Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	98588balast trim test. First novice mistake was, forgot to put the antenna up thru the scope housing. Didnt make much differance.it was laying down just under the plastic deck visible thru the limber holes. Everything worked. Some rudder trimming issues, not sufficent starboard travel. but I wasnt ready for the throtle response and she took off. bow planes pitched down real well. Had to stop taking pics. Soon as the tower went under it was swept away with the center section of the deck. Water temp today is about 78 up on top. Its a little cooler 20 ft down. That light green under the boat is about 7 ft the green beyond is 20. Tower was still on the 7 ft ledge with the quad gun a few inches away, right under where she went down. hull popped back up but the main deck was a good 30 feet away out in the middle of the canal. Took a little bit of searching to find it. No aparent leakage in the WTC, but it didnt go under more than a foot, so not much pressure on seals
                    Last edited by Von Hilde; 05-17-2015, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Salt water shake down[ATTACH=CONFIG]31386[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31387[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31388[/ATTACH]balast trim test. First novice mistake was, forgot to put the antenna up thru the scope housing. Didnt make much differance.it was laying down just under the plastic deck visible thru the limber holes. Everything worked. Some rudder trimming issues, not sufficent starboard travel. but I wasnt ready for the throtle response and she took off. bow planes pitched down real well. Had to stop taking pics. Soon as the tower went under it was swept away with the center section of the deck. Water temp today is about 78 up on top. Its a little cooler 20 ft down. That light green under the boat is about 7 ft the green beyond is 20. Tower was still on the 7 ft ledge with the quad gun a few inches away, right under where she went down. hull popped back up but the main deck was a good 30 feet away out in the middle of the canal. Took a little bit of searching to find it. No aparent leakage in the WTC, but it didnt go under more than a foot, so not much pressure on seals
                      Ram water through the open shutter doors raised the pressure in the hull, and that popped your deck. Blank off the torpedo tube muzzles. And stick a few more magnets on the superstructure and deck pieces. Yeah, you got two geard 380's in that thing -- dial the throttle WAY down, pal.

I was about to ask how you knew it got colder at 20-feet ...

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

That looks really great in the water! Aside from blowing the doors off and some minor adjustments, you are there! Look forward to seeing more photos.
                        My brother lived in the Keys and I miss the channels. The clear water should give you ample opportunities to get some great underwater photos. Really excited for you sir.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Oct 2011

Never thought about the open torpedo doors.Good point. I figured a couple more magnets, were in order. for the decks and tower. Which, by the way is the scratch built and is semi boyant. By that I mean the space between the bridge deck and space under the gun deck is not drilled out for limber and the few small holes for the scopes dont let water flow fast enough. Sure is a high speed surface craft, but I just had a heavy thumb, first time. Yeah Dave I thought the casual mention of water temp, was better than saying I had to dip for the boat on the cherry run. I dont have a go pro yet for the underwater pics, but thats not far down the road. All in all, it was fun. Next time I will have a camera operator instead of trying to do it all

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Um......thats salt water.........isnt it? Ah but I bet you are running the "2.4 ghz dont dunk the scope" system. Ok your good. I was just thinking about salt water radio interference under normal operations. Just wash that boat off good.....as you know.
                            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Von Hilde
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Oct 2011

Put the boat in the tub, and rinsed it off when I took the shower.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

Got a chase boat and photo platform at the dock glass bottom,
                                Click image for larger version

Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	98616

should be fun. I started addressing the issues with the type IX. Temporarily capped the tubes from the water induction Click image for larger version

Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	98617 Click image for larger version

Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	98619

the rudder binding on the hull issue was relieving the hull wall and sanding the gear a little more on the back of the cut section. Click image for larger version

Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	98618
                                Last edited by Kazzer; 05-30-2015, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Working...