X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

Gentlemen,

Is there that much external difference between a IXC and IXC/40 that one could not build a model of a IXC/40 from this kit?

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

U 505 is a IX-C It was ordered in Oct 1939 and the keel laid June 40 but was not built as a 40 with the bigger fuel storage. the main differance between the C and C-40 is the longer range fuel tanks. Externally they are the same configuration hulls. If you mean making it a term 1 tower on a IXC with the single wintergarden and 3.7 cm flack aft of the tower,on the main deck, you would have to modify the term2 tower or scratch build a new one or make just the rear section aft of the bridge. Also the revell deck has the molded lines where the term 2 tower goes on the deck, and that would need some modification. U534 in London is a IXC-40 and the major noticible differance of the tower and that of the 505 is the ducting for schnorkle attachments on the starbord side of the towers. Models of the IX and IXB would be dificult to make using the revell kit due to the fact they are shorter boats. The IXD-2 would be a challange because they were 35feet longer than the Cs. I built one from a Combat models hull that I streched a bit as it was out of scale to begin with. The Revell kit however,one would have to extend the entire hull and deck about 5 1/2"
      Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-17-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

You actually worked up a Combat Models kit. You poor dear!!!!!! I would rather take an ass-kicking by ten enraged S.P.'s!

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
          Captain
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
          U 505 is a IX-C It was ordered in Oct 1939 and the keel laid June 40 but was not built as a 40 with the bigger fuel storage. the main differance between the C and C-40 is the longer range fuel tanks. Externally they are the same configuration hulls. If you mean making it a term 1 tower on a IXC with the single wintergarden and 3.7 cm flack aft of the tower,on the main deck, you would have to modify the term2 tower or scratch build a new one or make just the rear section aft of the bridge. Also the revell deck has the molded lines where the term 2 tower goes on the deck, and that would need some modification. U534 in London is a IXC-40 and the major noticible differance of the tower and that of the 505 is the ducting for schnorkle attachments on the starbord side of the towers. Models of the IX and IXB would be dificult to make using the revell kit due to the fact they are shorter boats. The IXD-2 would be a challange because they were 35feet longer than the Cs. I built one from a Combat models hull that I streched a bit as it was out of scale to begin with. The Revell kit however,one would have to extend the entire hull and deck about 5 1/2"
          Thank you, that was very helpful.

Actually, I was thinking of the U805 which had a schnorkel as well as the schnelltauch deck which would be a bit of a challenge...Click image for larger version

Name:	U805 10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	90552

A contest with just this model would be interesting.

Dan...
          Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Von Hilde
            Rear Admiral
            • Oct 2011

A contest based on the kit as varients of the type IX. There are many such as the late war minelayers and freighters that were converted IXs The ones with the schnelltauch like U 234 the last boat to surrender with the uranium that was on the way to Japan when the Germans surrendered in May 45. The Uranium finally made it to Nagasaki in Augest. Via Manhattan I have a big file of the general plan that I just downloaded of the schnelltauch boat with a good resolution of the deck layout. If I can locate a good printer that prints large format I would like to have one to scale with the model jus to hang on the wall. Click image for larger version

Name:	IXC40tower.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	90578 sample of full size drawig
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-18-2014, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              You actually worked up a Combat Models kit. You poor dear!!!!!! I would rather take an ass-kicking by ten enraged S.P.'s!

M
              Hoo Yah!! bring me 20 SPs. Im gettin old and tired and need some cardio PT. More like I scratch built a boat around a part of a heavily modified Combat hull. the word "Kit" was an overstatement. The "plans" I got look like one of the grandkids brought home from kindergarden coloring class and stuck on the fridge.

Comment

• Aug 2008

You know you are in hell when Mr. Red hands you a Combat Models kit, a set of Wesswieser drawings, and a case of Green Stuff.

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

You know you are in hell when Mr. Red hands you a Combat Models kit, a set of Wesswieser drawings, and a case of Green Stuff.

M
                  I whittled this out of a potato using a finger painting for instructios and stuck it on the Combat model parts augmented with a few beer cans. Not quite finished with it, on the holding shelf for now. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0312.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	90586

Comment

• Aug 2008

My hat is off to you -- the classic silk purse from a pigs ear story on display there, sir.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

You, Sir, are a true "culinary craftsman"!! Hah!!
                      Well done!
                      CG

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Thank you sirs, I had a very sharp spoon to work with. Yesterday I put a couple hours in reserch of the top of the pressure hull and what looks like under the deck and Ive come up with an idea to cover the subdriver and give the appearance of what is visible thru the limberholes.Click image for larger version

Name:	u534engineroom.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	90629<--looking fwd to engineroom cross section u534 restoration.Click image for larger version

Name:	phtopprofile.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	90630 red line is top of the balast tank and the basic profile of the cover.Click image for larger version

Name:	u534foredeck.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	90631Click image for larger version

Name:	u534restoration.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	90632Click image for larger version

Name:	u534restorationforedeck.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	90633Click image for larger version

Name:	u534 thatch.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	90634Click image for larger version

Name:	u534stnthatch.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	90635 as you can see below the deck with all the wood removed its quite cluttered under the sub deck in the torpedo storage cradles and schnorkle bin. The catwalk on the port side is strickly for the restoration crew safety and is not a representitve cover for that area. What I am interested in is the basic shape of the top of the pressure hull and the adjcent tops of the ballast tanks >Click image for larger version

Name:	PHtop.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	90636I am bending and fitting a set of three pieces out of aluminium sheet to to go between the bulkheads on the model. I will then place the small I beams on the ballast tops that you see in the limber holes which will give the pieces ridgidity as well. I did a little origami test with some construction paper and it seems to do the trick. Now I have to fine tune the aluminium one and see how it looks. Im having some issues with my camera but I will soon have pics of the mock upClick image for larger version

Name:	100_0476.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	90637Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0477.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	90638first I stuck a 2 1/2" cardboard tube dummy pressure hull to check clearances for the measurements in the large center section where there is no taper in the P hull
                        Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-20-2014, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Your effort to represent the tank-tops (and those rust collecting troughs between inboard end of the tank and top of the pressure hull) is above-and-beyond the call of duty. You, sir, are a detail freak!

And thank you so much for those most revealing photos -- no better sectional drawing to be had. Thank you so much for sharing this stuff. I'm paying close attention.

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

Your effort to represent the tank-tops (and those rust collecting troughs between inboard end of the tank and top of the pressure hull) is above-and-beyond the call of duty. You, sir, are a detail freak!

And thank you so much for those most revealing photos -- no better sectional drawing to be had. Thank you so much for sharing this stuff. I'm paying close attention.

M
                            they split the boat in a bunch of sections and there are several views of various cross sections showing equipment storage and operational apparatus, like in the section pictured, there is detailed view of the linkage for the flood door opening plug. Inside the hull on the port side lower part of the tank. That wouldnt be something I would include on this particular model' but if I ever get ahold of a scale shipyard's big type IX...static diver with operational doors...Nah, I gotta focus on the lottory numbers mega ball I should be able to have a real U boat for less than 600mil, ya think?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Oct 2011

"Beware the ides of March" it means tax time is less than a month away. Glad I got that past me. My PE brass came from The Check Republic, Looks real good. Heavier brass than the Eduard stuff. Plenty of enriched detail on the hatches and tiney little parts to enhance the deck. Litterally have my work cut out for me. Now I gotta stick all that suff together. Ive been working on the faux pressure hull top for the aft section. I had read someones speculation about the reason the hull was in 4 pieces, because it wouldn fit in the box. I dont believe they made the model to fit the available box proportions, but designed the model to have a seperation point to facilitate a WTC, rather than thru a removable deck. Anyway my boat will have a removeable aft section, mostlikely magneticly fastened. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0510.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	90923Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0511.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	90924Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0512.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	90925Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0513.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	90926Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0514.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	90927Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0515.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	90928Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0516.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	90929Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0517.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	90930Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0518.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	90931Click image for larger version

Name:	u534aft.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	90934 I made a tin template that will replace the Revell bulkhead. This will eventually have holes cut out for various purposes, shafts, hatch, balast tank bulkhead ect similar to the U 534s rusty looking section. The scuppers for the limber holes and bracing of the gunnels will be made from scrap brass. I made some temps out of sheet plastic for fitting. The hulls flood holes were compleetly cut away and the Eduard PE was braced with ribs sliced and cut from a piece of 1"1/2 PVC. The CZ brass afterdeck has to be shimmed up to run flush with the tops of the gunnels. I will make cross braces for that because some hatches , like the stearing access that is open will need support, and at least one torpedo storage aft, and possiblly the Torpedo loading hatches that are in the next section forward on the main hull.
                              Last edited by Von Hilde; 03-31-2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

Been down for a spell due to heart issues but managed to get a few things ironed out on this boats tail end. Altho I have installed working planes and rudders. I will most likely stattic display due to the many delicate little parts that would fall off handeling during wet operations. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0521.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	91410Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0521.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	91410Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0523.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	91411used magnetic sign material for the backing of the decks and 5mm barrell mags in brass tube post mounts in the hull as well as some latteral small bar mags in some sections. I think I will make the torpedo storage hatches operational. I have a bunch of 1:72 crewmen in various poses and uniforms I have collected and stuck in a box somewhere I may dig out, too.

Comment

Working...