Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

Coax/jumper soldered, routed. Antenna tip in plastic perriscope with carbon fiber housing. All systems G2G.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	98381this is the new Rx, I scrapped the first one with the larger gage jumper, and just used the OEM antenna wire from the already programmed Rx. Like recommended in the.......shudder the thought... Instructions. Whoda thunk it?
    Last edited by Von Hilde; 05-01-2015, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
      SEAR instructor, master snake eater. sushi style, no fires. You have to be tough if your going to be stupid. "Yesterday" wasnt that easy, either. Phil Bucklew was wrong. RIP Philip. Riddle me this, The old RX original antenna was re positioned to the ground the shield of the coax to the Gnd pin on ch 1. The only thing I did was not use the old antenna wire for a jumper. Being its just a ground, I used a piece of wire. Didnt think that would make a difference. [ATTACH=CONFIG]31152[/ATTACH] Evidently, there may lay the problem. The coax was routed thru an unused push rod packing gland. Is that not acceptable? Nuttin fancy there.
      You Cave-man, you!

Sure, any conductor to run the shield to ground will do. And, yes, make use of an unused pushrod seal body port for the stuffing gland.

However, you have to shorten the distance between board antenna pad and coax conductor -- too much is showing and will act as an antenna, de-tuning the detector. Butt that shield right up there, but making sure none of it shorts against the pad.

Nothing fancy.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

Im preping the hull for the driver and installing the resin retainer for the velcro that was supplied ( a tad to short, perfect circumfrence, for a 2.5" tube, 8". no over lap to secure.) No big deal but I thought I should mention it in case it was a production mistake . I just stuck a tab of pile side only across the top to sinch it down. Question for the day: the need for the alignment pin. I dont want to compromise the EZ tube by drilling the only hole. for the pin. Fore and aft movement can be secured with a simple lip on the hull one both ends of the Driver's bulkheads. Any latteral or roll movement is secured by the foam inserts. Perpindicular placement , by well trained Mk One eyeball. This EZ Driver will be interchangable for a couple different hulls, so perminant pin placement may not be the way to go. Another query is balast weights in the keel. The little 12" tube is a lot of boyancy but heavy. Do you immerse the driver by itself first do a visual leak test and see where its neutral waterline is to start ? I have sheet foam and some zink bars, but not sure of how much of each to put in the hull to start with. Getting closer fellas. I spun the prop shafts today :) Noisey little bugger. Fish are going to be interested.
        Last edited by Von Hilde; 05-01-2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Im preping the hull for the driver and installing the resin retainer for the velcro that was supplied ( a tad to short, perfect circumfrence, for a 2.5" tube, 8". no over lap to secure.) No big deal but I thought I should mention it in case it was a production mistake . I just stuck a tab of pile side only across the top to sinch it down. Question for the day: the need for the alignment pin. I dont want to compromise the EZ tube by drilling the only hole. for the pin. Fore and aft movement can be secured with a simple lip on the hull one both ends of the Driver's bulkheads. Any latteral or roll movement is secured by the foam inserts. Perpindicular placement , by well trained Mk One eyeball. This EZ Driver will be interchangable for a couple different hulls, so perminant pin placement may not be the way to go. Another query is balast weights in the keel. The little 12" tube is a lot of boyancy but heavy. Do you immerse the driver by itself first do a visual leak test and see where its neutral waterline is to start ? I have sheet foam and some zink bars, but not sure of how much of each to put in the hull to start with. Getting closer fellas. I spun the prop shafts today :) Noisey little bugger. Fish are going to be interested.
          Yeah, I let four of those Easy SD's get out of here with the short Velcro strap. Sorry about that, pal.

Correct, don't punch a hole for any indexing pin. Just like you say, a stop fore and aft that holds the Easy SD longitudinally within the hull. As you say, your foam and strap will keep it from rolling too much.

Don't worry about the SD when you trim the boat. Put about a pound of lead weight in the keel, fit the SD and all of the other hardware then determin how much and where to put the foam to get your boat to float with one-inch of the sail sticking up into the air.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0102.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	98396 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0107.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	98397 Initial foam amount and location is done externally. Once it's worked out, glue it to the inside.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
            Rear Admiral
            • Oct 2011

Well, that's a neat trick. You think, the same amount of foam/weight distribution for the one Revell IX hull would suit the other one? I made the dummy balast tank tops in the first hull, so you could see detail of the scupper system and top of pressure hull, and secure a Wtc. They can come out and be replaced with the correct amount of shaped foam to represent the actual tanks, after I figure out how much of what goes where. The tire valve stem on the fwd bulkhead of the EZ ? Free brass?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Well, that's a neat trick. You think, the same amount of foam/weight distribution for the one Revell IX hull would suit the other one? I made the dummy balast tank tops in the first hull, so you could see detail of the scupper system and top of pressure hull, and secure a Wtc. They can come out and be replaced with the correct amount of shaped foam to represent the actual tanks, after I figure out how much of what goes where. The tire valve stem on the fwd bulkhead of the EZ ? Free brass?
              No, don't bugger up those nice tank-tops. Leave them. There will be a slight change between the two models as the specific gravity of styrene is about that of water -- but all other things being equal between the two boats, the amount of fixed ballast weight and foam will be about the same, Dave.

What are you, one of those lame-ass shooters always on the range floor sniffing out spent casings? Leave that tire-valve alone -- you need it to leak check the SD.

You people!

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                Rear Admiral
                • Oct 2011

Us peope, would not take a chance testing the integrity using that valve, by immersion. Some of us people use the soapy water, spritzed on the pressurised chamber, dry. and watch for the soap bubbles. IMHO. Yeah,I use to police up my brass at the range , but now I get all my shooting ammo from Chaper than Dirt. and its usually Packistani and less than milspec. and they use aluminium casings, the cheap basstids. I dont reload anymore but I still save brass and copper stuff.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

Us peope, would not take a chance testing the integrity using that valve, by immersion. Some of us people use the soapy water, spritzed on the pressurised chamber, dry. and watch for the soap bubbles. IMHO. Yeah,I use to police up my brass at the range , but now I get all my shooting ammo from Chaper than Dirt. and its usually Packistani and less than milspec. and they use aluminium casings, the cheap basstids. I dont reload anymore but I still save brass and copper stuff.

Comment

• Aug 2008

That brings it all back: chasing the RECOVERY's Diver air-system down with a bucket of soapy water and a fox-tail.

Keep at it and you'll win the prize as you chamber one of those magic exploding bullets ... keep the eye-protection on, pal.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Oct 2011

Reflex shooter with optics. Shoot frm the hip. No eyes on target. Speaking of the Navy and shooters, my Son just got his 1A card. Leaving sea duty deployments, to Great Lakes 3 years shore duty at the NTC Small arms instructor at the armory. SKATE job home every night with the wife and my grand dog. Kim, my wie, is elated. She has been worried sick when he goes dark on deployment. Now she can go visit. Me too, I need to check out the505 again.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Reflex shooter with optics. Shoot frm the hip. No eyes on target. Speaking of the Navy and shooters, my Son just got his 1A card. Leaving sea duty deployments, to Great Lakes 3 years shore duty at the NTC Small arms instructor at the armory. SKATE job home every night with the wife and my grand dog. Kim, my wie, is elated. She has been worried sick when he goes dark on deployment. Now she can go visit. Me too, I need to check out the505 again.
                        Small world, that's where I did Boot-Camp. In the frig'n WINTER!!!!

Our best to your boy. Now, that's some good shore duty!

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Oct 2011

Yessir.. Camp Dewy, Camp Downs, and Camp Porter, Aye! Winter in Drill Hall 1000 for the 96 count manual at arms. Graduation on the grinder mainside 14 weeks later Al Fresco with the "Hawk" blowin a gale off the lake. I had to carry a State flag. didnt form up with my company, for the cerimonies. It aint like when we were there, Dave. I went up When little Dave went to FT "A" school there,right after boot. The old WWII wood shacks they called barracks were gone. The new quarters 4 man rooms with efficiency convienances (microwaves,minifridge, ect) No barracks numbers. All named after famous ships, Uss Constitutio, USS Enterprise...When you enter the "Quarterdeck" area (BMAA) remain covered, Saluit, request permission,, bla bla bla. Pass, REMOVE your cover, and enter .ding ding.. The, Rec room! whoopie!! everybody is watching the tv and having a good ole time, plugged into every known electronic gadget in the world. These kids and their toys. Yesterday just po kids with no jobs so to speek, Got that Navy pay check and no where to go but the Navy Exchange and the barracks. I think they still get a couple Liberty calls mid boot and then after graduation. The brewery tour in Milwackey, or the tattoo shops down in Chicago, was the usual pick back then. "Out of bounds" was a big factor. "Off Limits" was my favorite. The brewery won the toss both times for me.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

Wet feet 09:55 balast check empty boat. Packed the keel 300grams of zinc, cut two pieces of foam, hung them centered with the WTC perammeters and bingo first test boat level waterline half way up the tower, just bairly flooding the bridge deck. Fresh water, in the tub. Sea water may have a slight increase in buoyancy but that may not matter, Click image for larger version

Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	98399Click image for larger version

Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	98400

Comment

• Aug 2008

And the shill's on the strip pulling you into the store to sign their 'buddy-book'. And how receptive the city was to anyone in uniform ('dogs and sailor's, keep off the grass').

After graduation I went to BE&E school there. Snow piled high outside, the class-rooms were so hot. You could hear the constant cracking of the steam radiators that were everywhere. It was a task to stay awake! I learned how to use the Simpson 260 multi-meter and how to throw a charged electrolitic capaciter at someone you didn't get along with.

Decades later I was horribly shocked to learn that the ditti we got stuck in our heads by our BE&E Instructors, used to remember resistor color-number codes, was not approved of socially (after repeating it at an IPMS meeting). **** 'em!

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Wet feet 09:55 balast check empty boat. Packed the keel 300grams of zinc, cut two pieces of foam, hung them centered with the WTC perammeters and bingo first test boat level waterline half way up the tower, just bairly flooding the bridge deck. Fresh water, in the tub. Sea water may have a slight increase in buoyancy but that may not matter, [ATTACH=CONFIG]31179[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31180[/ATTACH]
                                Well done, sir.

M
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...