Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

HOOO YAH!! just decided to flip all the rx plugs and boom All Good. Just like the first parachute jump after packing your own chute that you put together from parts. You'll never know if it works unless you grab ahold of yer balls and step out the door, of a perfectly good aircraft. I got lites and bells and whistles all over the machine now. The servos and shafts go crazy. Press the viper set button within the two second blinking time. Green lite on th ADF2 solid red on the transmitter no lights on the lypo guard, at this point.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	98310

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

... and I wish I had a dollar for each time I did a bone-head thing like that. Sounds like you're making good head-way, Dave.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
        ... and I wish I had a dollar for each time I did a bone-head thing like that. Sounds like you're making good head-way, Dave.

M
        Headway is relitive. 2 steps back one step up. About where I started before the switch issue. Could you e me your phone number? I might be up in the area next month around Memorial day. Also have some Navy gedunks to send ya. I have the D&E address. I was hangin with some Gilmore crew this past weekend up in Naples Fl. Good times skylarkin and skuttlebut. Old geezer stuff snivelling about everything these days. Everybody runnin around on old body parts that are out of warranty. Still kicken tho.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Von Hilde
          HOOO YAH!! just decided to flip all the rx plugs and boom All Good. Just like the first parachute jump after packing your own chute that you put together from parts. You'll never know if it works unless you grab ahold of yer balls and step out the door, of a perfectly good aircraft.
          Yes, jumped with the T10 chute. Scary the first time you pack your own, you sure hope you paid attention.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Headway is relitive. 2 steps back one step up. About where I started before the switch issue. Could you e me your phone number? I might be up in the area next month around Memorial day. Also have some Navy gedunks to send ya. I have the D&E address. I was hangin with some Gilmore crew this past weekend up in Naples Fl. Good times skylarkin and skuttlebut. Old geezer stuff snivelling about everything these days. Everybody runnin around on old body parts that are out of warranty. Still kicken tho.
            Next month, on the 16th is Armed Forces day. I'll be at Nauticus all day with the Elite Fleet club running our model boats and submarines -- making the Koi pond safe for Democracy. Come along, you can drive my boats. We break about five in the afternoon, then I'm all yours.

Phone is 757-468-4687; address is 835 Holly Hedge Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23452. We screen calls so play nice, Ellie has an exceptionally short fuse.

Any of those GILMORE surface pukes worked the steam-shop (Mk-14 and Mk-16 repair), they might remember me as the guy who cross-decked from Weapons there to the TRUTTA a few piers down. I could not get out of that crummy boy's-club quick enough!

I got some goodies on this end for you too, you nasty old Spook.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

Next month, on the 16th is Armed Forces day. I'll be at Nauticus all day with the Elite Fleet club running our model boats and submarines -- making the Koi pond safe for Democracy. Come along, you can drive my boats. We break about five in the afternoon, then I'm all yours.

Phone is 757-468-4687; address is 835 Holly Hedge Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23452. We screen calls so play nice, Ellie has an exceptionally short fuse.

Any of those GILMORE surface pukes worked the steam-shop (Mk-14 and Mk-16 repair), they might remember me as the guy who cross-decked from Weapons there to the TRUTTA a few piers down. I could not get out of that crummy boy's-club quick enough!

I got some goodies on this end for you too, you nasty old Spook.

M
              TM 3 Lingle, Kenneth W. aka (dingaling) was there in about 70-71. The other 3 guys were one wire electricians in the rewind shop around decomissioning and went to the barracks on some decomissiong team when Howie G left. "Ding" is the divemaster at the Fl Keys Colledge. Been at that job since he got out in the 70s. Still breathing mixed gass/ Dont worry, I wont spook Ellie. I still remember a little Tagalog from back in the day. Outfitted some PTFs "Nastyboats" near Subic, actually Sangley Point (out of the way little navy base across the bay) before we took them over to RVN " Operation Market Time" 64-65
              Last edited by Von Hilde; 04-27-2015, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• HardRock
                Vice Admiral
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by trout
                Yes, jumped with the T10 chute. Scary the first time you pack your own, you sure hope you paid attention.
                Ughhhh. T-10; jump, dangle, thump! No steering, no flare, no feeling in legs after landing! After several hundred jumps on that thing (T-10/D) they finally gave me a square - hallelujah!

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

My brother was the head of the dive program at the Florida Keys Community College up until 3-4 years ago (or somewhere about that point). I will have to ask him about "Ding". I had the pleasure to dive the galleon that was transplanted to their bay. It was after a hurricane went through. I was helping my brother inspect the ship for any obvious signs of damage. Ask "Ding" about William or Bill Chalfant. It is too small of a place that they did not cross paths.

Although I remember steering on the T10 (it was a pig) and flaring (not like the parafoil). Some landings where pretty smooth others, well thank goodness you keep your knees bent and roll out as you land.
                  Last edited by trout; 04-28-2015, 12:56 AM.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

TM 3 Lingle, Kenneth W. aka (dingaling) was there in about 70-71. The other 3 guys were one wire electricians in the rewind shop around decomissioning and went to the barracks on some decomissiong team when Howie G left. "Ding" is the divemaster at the Fl Keys Colledge. Been at that job since he got out in the 70s. Still breathing mixed gass/ Dont worry, I wont spook Ellie. I still remember a little Tagalog from back in the day. Outfitted some PTFs "Nastyboats" near Subic, actually Sangley Point (out of the way little navy base across the bay) before we took them over to RVN " Operation Market Time" 64-65
                    Ask Lingle if he remembers the salt-water flooding of the Mk-45, SubRoc, and MK-14/Mk-16 shops when a dumb-ass Gunner's Mate got the PMS checks on the fire-supression system wrong. What a horror show that was for many weeks after the incident -- salt-water and raw steel decks don't mix!

I was assembling a control-line model kit in the shop (after hours, of course) when the poo-poo hit the fan.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by trout
                      My brother was the head of the dive program at the Florida Keys Community College up until 3-4 years ago (or somewhere about that point). I will have to ask him about "Ding". I had the pleasure to dive the galleon that was transplanted to their bay. It was after a hurricane went through. I was helping my brother inspect the ship for any obvious signs of damage. Ask "Ding" about William or Bill Chalfant. It is too small of a place that they did not cross paths.

Although I remember steering on the T10 (it was a pig) and flaring (not like the parafoil). Some landings where pretty smooth others, well thank goodness you keep your knees bent and roll out as you land.
                      I still have a T-10 in my shed. TOJO model with the stearing dairy slots. I was a Navy Parachute rigger and would modify the non stearables with 7 gore T and TU pannels. The dairy slots took about 15 to 20 seconds to do a 360 turn. Unacceptable for our application. In 1963 I went to Parachutes inc in Fayetvill NC and was authorised to go open purchace in their new Para commander and crossbow Ram air for the Chuting Stars (Now Leap Frogs) And of course a dozen for my team mates. We tested them under arduous conditions. (Hollywood jumps in St Thomas and St Croix and Puerto Rico) Nasty job, but somebody had to do it.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Oct 2011

Ask Lingle if he remembers the salt-water flooding of the Mk-45, SubRoc, and MK-14/Mk-16 shops when a dumb-ass Gunner's Mate got the PMS checks on the fire-supression system wrong. What a horror show that was for many weeks after the incident -- salt-water and raw steel decks don't mix!

I was assembling a control-line model kit in the shop (after hours, of course) when the poo-poo hit the fan.

M
                        Well, what happened to the model? after hours of course, is a civilian term, you know. We stood down at Naha for a few weeks and got to stay in USAF A/C barracks which was like a hotel. My patnah and I built a couple models in the lockers they gave us. Navy lockers had a small compartment for personal gear that could be locked up with your padlock as you remember, Not much more than a bar of soap and a shaving kit would fit in. The Air Force lockers, I sware you could stash a woman in. There was a writing table that folded out that was convienent. Damned if they didnt even have cloths hangers too. Built a Dauntless and a TBM, Connley built a Corsair and Hellcat, We hung them from the cealing at the EMs Wing Club bar on the airfield when we left. PR "A" school I built a free flight in the barracks rec room, took it out on our grinder and let it go, It immediatly crashed into the BMA"s window in the adjcent WAVE's cage. AG "A" school was part of NATTU Lakehurst. There wernt many female rates in the Navy back then. I had the privlage of being chewed out by the uglyist, nastyist, Senior Chief in the Worlds largest Nuclier Navy....."Parade-Rest!! As You Were"

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

We went to MC-1 (steerable T-10) and finally to MT-1XX which was soooooo much nicer. Only using the old round canopies for mass, static line jumps now, everything else is square. PS when did you ever go to an Airforce base (that's anyone's airforce by the way) that didn't look like a golf course!

Comment

• Von Hilde
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HardRock
                            We went to MC-1 (steerable T-10) and finally to MT-1XX which was soooooo much nicer. Only using the old round canopies for mass, static line jumps now, everything else is square. PS when did you ever go to an Airforce base (that's anyone's airforce by the way) that didn't look like a golf course!
                            Thats because the Air Force bases are a golf course with a runway near by, Some of the finer golf courses I played were at Fort Monmouth NJ and Fort Bragg NC. Rigger school jump was a 28ft flat no deployment sleeve clear and pull. Opening shock was a watch stopper. We drew new canopies, hardwear, and harnesses and put them together and packed em for the jump. When I jumped I had already had 41 free falls and one yo yo. Most of the class hadnt seen a parachute before going to Lakehurst. The class Senior Chief was on his 10th FF getting his Navy gold wings. I still am a member of the PRA Navy riggers association. Havent jumped for years tho. Maybe next birthday Ill bootleg one. Skydive Key West said I would have to go tandem because of my age. Ha!! some kid younger than the boots I was wearing, told me that at the airport. He's having a hard time sucking soup thru a straw, now. Jaw is wired shut. What I want is one of the tiney square canopies with the back pac strap on motor. Not really a paraglider or an ultralite under the FARs dont need a lot of area to operate. lay out the canopy, point into the wind and twist the wick. 2 or 3 steps and liftoff. Landing samo samo. Aproach downwind flair and stall and a step or two and toggel over the canopy while turning around. Piece of cake. About 6Grand entry level toy before options. like floatation for over water and electric start, power pacs, gps nav, ect. Dont think I be getting one soon

Comment

• Von Hilde
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Oct 2011

I retraced the power wires for the Lypo and re soldered them to the battery after the power switch instead of the post fused power to the motor connection previously. Everything lights up now with the switch.Todays delema is the set up priority. Code matching, would be the initial, I assume. What is confusing is your suppose to turn on the TX prior to the RX. I did this, then the Viper did the flashing routeen and I set the button before the time limit. The rx red LED lit up and I pressed the set button on the rx and the orange and red started flashing. Dont know what that means. Tried to set the throttle to no avail. The failsafe setting instructions say turn on the receiver first then turn on TX wile holding set button. Recognition green on the TX is suppose to blink. Not. The other delima is the sensitivity adjustments on the transmitters lower right. Dont undersand how they function. They look like sliders but dont move with a stylus. I didnt want to force any so I only lightly tried to move them. Suggestions?

Comment

• jenels4
                                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                                • Oct 2014

I think you are confusing yourself on setup, turnon and binding. I fly airplanes and basically use the same equipment. When we bind a TX to a RX we need the battery plugged into the battery and a plug (shorting wire for simplicity) into another channel !!consult your instructions!!. Your RX will be "ON" as soon as the batterry is connected. The TX will then be turned on and the RX will lock to it after a few seconds, by indication of LEDs. Now this my "bind" your RX only to this TX, and model number but all functions will work. Now that you did this lets set up:
                                After you did the above.
                                Setup: You turn on your TX first and then your RX. There are a lot of beeps and sounds come from the RX and soon after they are done beeping I move my servo leads to see what moves. My TX and RX appeared to be talking to each other as soon as I went to setup. I only had to change direction of a servo to make it correct for one of my servo movement. The ESC was correct at turnon and needed no adjustments. Reason to turn on TX first is so that you dont have your throttle servo on takeoff position, if you turned on your RX first it would literaly take off! Until the TX slaves it to cutoff, by this time it would be to late and a few dollars in the trash.

You should not have to bind again, unless you get another TX, RX or just want to.

Comment

Working...