• Tugfan
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2010

You're a class act, Dave. ;)

Comment

• Tugfan
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Nov 2010

Just think, Kazzer was against even stocking this kit when it was announced. BWAHAHAHHHH!!!!!

Comment

• roedj
        Captain
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
        Hey! Romel! I've got a great idea!!!! .... why don't I stick a broom-handle up my butt so I can sweep the place out as I work??!!!!
        Oh this is just wonderful. Now I have to try and eat my lunch with that image burned in my brain.

Thanks for nuttin'

Dan
        Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Sorry, Dan. (I'm working all day to take care of you, Steve, Mamas, and the other guys I have stuff to get off to ... this damned Bronco kit has been all-consuming!).

Here's what I've done this morning:

I want to provide this fittings kit with figures, so I cast up (vacuum assisted) these blanks. Each one will be worked up to represent a specific billet: The CO with his peaked white (dirty white) command-cap, his look-out, and some poor slob on deck with a heaving-line in hand. The enlisted guys topped with garrison caps. All three will be wearing the utilitarian, heavy, one-piece overhauls you see in crew shots towards the end of the war. These boats came into their own in the winter months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5042.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	76933Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5050.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	76934

I'm thinking of simplifying the weapons system here by offering just the breech-end of the launcher with an adapter collar that will make up to the inside diameter of the kit supplied torpedo tube. I'll recommend installing a 'power capsule' (represented here by the way too short 1/72 gas type torpedo body) within the kit supplied torpedo which will be made free-flooding. The kit torpedoes lend themselves to being closed and opened easily as the parts are self-keying. I'll investigate different power-capsule dimensions, volume and weights till I find one that will render the entire assembly neutrally buoyant when charged, and slightly buoyant at the end of run.

Name:	DSCF5051.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	76935Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5065.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	76936Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5066.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	76937Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5067.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	76938
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
            Oh this is just wonderful. Now I have to try and eat my lunch with that image burned in my brain.

Thanks for nuttin'

Dan
            We can only hope the handle has large splinters.
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tugfan
              Just think, Kazzer was against even stocking this kit when it was announced. BWAHAHAHHHH!!!!!

I still am! Total waste of time, no money in it really. If I jacked the price to RRP it might make more sense. Anyone want to pay $130 for one?

Comment

• Scott T
                Commander
                • May 2009

On the bell crank hole drilling process... What would happen if you used a dry piece of spaghetti/pasta
                in the mold for the bell crank set-screw holes. It might hold up to the heat. Then just drill or tap through
                the pasta. ??????

Name:	pasta_main_1639938a.jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	76939

Comment

• Aug 2008

Sacrificial pasta? Please!!!!!

In the past I would insert a stud of appropriate thread-cut in the tool to form the required bore, but that was too much work. With a holding fixture (designed to hold up to four pieces at a time) the work goes very quickly.
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-05-2013, 01:52 PM.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Warpatroller
                    Lieutenant
                    • Dec 2012

Though the BJB TC-5040 silicon mold-making rubber is not advertised for high-temperature work, I find, in a pinch (when I run out of TC-5050), that it will work fine with white-metal work. This evening I made some test shots with the tools, and they are holding up just fine.

Now to make some holding fixtures for the bell-cranks so I can drill and tap their set-screw holes. Time permitting I'll shape the propeller dunce-caps, bore and tap the set-screw holes, and work out how the production propeller shaft and bearings will go. Another long night/early morning ahead of me ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19699[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19700[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19701[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19702[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19703[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19704[/ATTACH]
                    I see the propeller is coming along.. These white-metal props will need to be strong to withstand the months of rigorous patrol duty that my boats will eventually undergo. Remember to shape the "dunce-caps" using the "God Hub" images as a guide. The final motivation wheel part of this boat will be a masterpiece of craftmanship! The thrust performance it will provide shall be legendary.. After all, this is a fittings kit that is fit for a God, is it not?

By the way, when will a Special Edition propeller be available in titanium? That is the one I will need for the boat that sails over to the English Channel to harass Andy.. Manfred should get one also..
                    "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• Tugfan
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Nov 2010

Dave, how did you get the hull cut so perfect? I can never do it.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tugfan
                        Dave, how did you get the hull cut so perfect? I can never do it.
                        Because I'm a frig'n God ... that's how!

"Bow before me, I am the Great Invader Zim!"
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• celticwarrior
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Aug 2011

Too Funny!! :wink:

Comment

• Kazzer
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by celticwarrior
                            Too Funny!! :wink:

Don't encourage him! He'll start wasting time writing more nonsense here!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Nazi's! ... don't you just hate them. Especially me, after six hours on my butt working out the three bridge watch-standers -- masters from which I will make a tool to produce parts for the soon to be released Bronco 1/35 Type-23 fittings kit.

I cast up a bunch of blank 1/35 figures, selected three of them and chopped them up, gave them covers, and am finishing up posing them into realistic postures -- achieving a look like three guys up there who actually have things to do.

Name:	DSCF5078.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	76963Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5085.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	76964Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5087.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	76965Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5089.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	76966Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5092.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	76967Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5093.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	76968Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5098.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	76969Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5100.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	76970Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5102.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	76971Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5104.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	76972Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5106.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	76973Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5111.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	76974
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Warpatroller
                                Lieutenant
                                • Dec 2012

I cast up a bunch of blank 1/35 figures, selected three of them and chopped them up, gave them covers, and am finishing up posing them into realistic postures -- achieving a look like three guys up there who actually have things to do.
                                They had something to do, in particular, while they were in port. Give the Nazi Salute! You gotta have one of the figures saluting.. Otherwise, I will have to break an arm off and modify it so the little man gives a proper salute. "Pappy" Dönitz had them well trained. The whole Reich was crumbling around them and they were still saluting and throwing themselves into the fight. You gotta love the determination of these guys.. Plus taking time to implement the Kriegsmarine Honor Roll Clasp award in March 1945. The game is over and they are still concerning themselves with designing and producing awards for the men! They just didn't know the meaning of the word "quit".. Kind of like me, one day, even if it kills me, I will have a proper and "practical" (I love it when David says that) model XXIII uboat terrorizing my local lakes..

Name:	23crew1.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	76975Click image for larger version

Name:	23crew2.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	76976Click image for larger version

Name:	23crew3.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB