Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

Back on topic to the Type XXIII or I start sweeping up...

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Outrider
      Back on topic to the Type XXIII or I start sweeping up...
      OH, oh! Cheese it, the Cop's!

Honestly, he's right. Sorry -- more pictures later today. And thanks for being the voice of reason here, Outrider. Every now and then I require adult supervision, as Mike would gladly point out.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Back on topic:

This weeks work was spent making the first set of rubber tools, and off those I cast the production or 'copy' masters. Off the copy masters I form the production rubber molds (tools) needed to make kit parts in mass. Time is money in this game.

With the Caswell-Merriman fittings kits the most labor intensive activity is preparing, pouring, de-molding, and repeating the casting cycle -- it's vital to cram as much activity into the time taken as possible to reduce part costs. So, for efficiencies sake, I employ at least three identical productions tools when working up fittings kits. The copy masters permit creation of these production tools quickly and with great accuracy. An expensive operation: the tool making rubber and copy master resin isn't cheap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5212.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	77062Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5214.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	77063Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5218.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	77064Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5221.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	77065Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5224.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	77066
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Just saw Bob Martin's reworked 32nd Parallel Type XXIII sporting a 2.5" SD
          This is my recent buildup of a 32nd Parallel Type XXIII coastal submarine in 1/32 scale. The unit has a full static dive system and functional torpedoes.

Lots of cool things we can pick up for the Bronco kit.
          Hope he can enlighten us how he made his torpedo shutters operational.
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Warpatroller
            Lieutenant
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by redboat219
            Just saw Bob Martin's reworked 32nd Parallel Type XXIII sporting a 2.5" SD
            Lots of cool things we can pick up for the Bronco kit.
            Hope he can enlighten us how he made his torpedo shutters operational.
            32P initially used a tube door linkage system with springs, instead of magnets, to keep the doors in the closed position. This torpedo door mechanism for the XXIII was designed by Simon Smith in 1987. He later revised the design, eliminating the springs altogether, on January 17, 1992. Some customers were having problems getting the tube doors to fully open using the 1987 mechanism. The revised system without springs (or magnets) proved to be more reliable in fully opening the tube doors.

The stock 32P XXIII torpedo launchers were designed to be fired together, in unison. Both doors would simultaneously open, the door slip plates (attached to the doors) would move away from the heads of the torpedoes allowing them both to be released under the pressure of the gas charged within them. The entire system was triggered by a single two-position switch on the TX and used a single servo mounted inside the bow end of the pressure box. I know all this because I have the kit and Simon's torpedo system schematics.

In the stock 32P system, it was not possible to fire only one torpedo at a time, or open only one tube door at a time. The 32P tubes were spaced further apart from each other than the Bronco tubes. I believe that Bob's tubes are also spaced further apart. Matter of fact, his tubes are the 32P tubes, with modifications made to them.

You can see that the sides of the stock pressure box, along with their hold down screws, remain inside of Bob's hull. He did not fully remove the stock box.. I wonder if anyone has ever removed it entirely, without damaging the hull..
            "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Warpatroller I'm intrigued how the torpedo doors operate without springs or magnets, can you post photos of the mechanisms?

Comment

• Warpatroller
                Lieutenant
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by redboat219
                Warpatroller I'm intrigued how the torpedo doors operate without springs or magnets, can you post photos of the mechanisms?
                Simon's magic was in his linkage, particularly the Tube Door Pull Post and Brass Tube Door Pulls with flattened and drilled ends. When I get a chance, I could scan the torpedo system schematics.. I say I could, because they are copyrighted by 32nd Parallel. And I wouldn't have Simon's permission to post them publicly.. His plans look like they were drawn by German engineers during the war. Advanced stuff, ahead of its time, especially for RC submarine models.. Only if David approves of reproducing and posting this fine example of Simon's mastery of engineering on a public forum, will I do it..

Here you guys are toying around with tube door actuation, and Mr. Smith solved the problem over two decades ago. This vacuform submarine kit is now 29 years old.. The torpedo launchers used by it, came from the 32P VII kit, which is now 32 years old.. Back then, in the raw and with total disregard for the environment, those eels were designed to use liquid Freon-12 gas (the heavy duty stuff capable of up to 70psi of skimmer smashing pressure) to propel them through the water at breathtaking speeds. I also couldn't help but notice that Simon used "SS" runic bolts when he initialed his XXIII weapon system plans.. Plus a replica resin Uboat badge, that is NOT de-Nazified, was included with each kit. Walk around with that bit of RC sub history hanging around in your noggin.

To answer my own previous pondering.. Now that I think about it, Mike Dory may have successfully extracted every bit of the ole 32P pressure box from his XXIII. He probably had to get it all out to fit that 3.25 WTC in it. He did tell me he VERY carefully, went at it, with a dremel / flex shaft combo (one tool set I do have). Trout can confirm if he removed 100% of the box, since he now owns it.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Warpatroller: I commend you on your thoughtfulness -- to protect the property of an originator/owner. I have no problem reproducing Simon's work for two reason and with one proviso: I know of no transfer of this property to another party -- no one has a commercial interest in the mechanism, and the information contained in the drawings will advance the Craft; and as long as we acknowledge Simon as the source of this mechanism in our discussions, we will discharge our obligation to render credit where credit is due.

Scan 'em!

Simon's work is at the very core of the American involvement in r/c model submarining. There were others, but he's the guy who spread the hobby so far and so wide. He was our Bruggen, Engel, Perrott and Krick

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Warpatroller
                    Lieutenant
                    • Dec 2012

David, hopefully I will be able to scan them sometime this weekend. I have had a busy week.

I have found 32nd Parallel, the company and their kits, to be quite interesting. I would be curious to know just how many copies of each kit were produced. I suppose Simon might have kept such records.. You should keep a count of how many Sub-Drivers you build. I once read a comment, written by someone (forgot who it was), that stated you have probably built more RC submarine WTC units than any other person on the planet.

Steve

Comment

• Aug 2008

I don't keep such records. But, I can say with confidence, NO ONE has built and/or sold more WTC/Sub-driver units than me!

But, let it be known: the concept of the removable cylindrical WTC did not originate with me. But, I believe I was the first to offer such a system to the general public -- and that claim is open to challenge (if someone can say otherwise, let me hear from you).

Author unknown, I have a picture of an removable, acrylic cylinder WTC from a 1967 issue of Model Boats -- way, way before my time. And there is that force-of-nature, Nick Berge -- hard-nosed SOB he may have been -- he's the guy who took the WTC concept and presented it as a viable system arrangement to the r/c model submarine community. What a back-yard Mechanic that guy was!
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Just to keep you abreast of what I've been up to as to the Caswell-Merriman SD and fittings kit, soon to be unleashed upon an unsuspecting world.

The SD design has been frozen. And the fittings kit components have been identified, manufactured, and the first trial-run of fittings kit parts produced. Parts are manufactured from metal, resin, and sheet plastic.

As example of some of the production tooling and parts completed, I present a choirs line of gay, dancing, Nazi sailors:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5227.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	77147
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

So your figures include a biker, construction worker, Indian chief, policeman and cowboy?
                          Would be hilarious to see them lined up on deck and have a player play "In the Navy" at the next regatta.

Comment

• goshawk823
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            Just to keep you abreast of what I've been up to as to the Caswell-Merriman SD and fittings kit, soon to be unleashed upon an unsuspecting world.

The SD design has been frozen. And the fittings kit components have been identified, manufactured, and the first trial-run of fittings kit parts produced. Parts are manufactured from metal, resin, and sheet plastic.

As example of some of the production tooling and parts completed, I present a choirs line of gay, dancing, Nazi sailors:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19975[/ATTACH]
                            David - what are the prices going to be for the SD and the fittings kit?
                            sam

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by goshawk823
                              David - what are the prices going to be for the SD and the fittings kit?
                              sam
                              In the range of the 1/72 SKIPJACK kit fittings kit, Sam.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Warpatroller
                                This torpedo door mechanism for the XXIII was designed by Simon Smith in 1987.
                                Dancing Bears and torpedo doors, this guy did it all!!!!
                                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

Working...