Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

David, outstanding build, I really enjoy watching you take an idea and run with it.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
      Am I to take it we have a new Sub-driver specific to this model?
      Doe that mean the 1/96 Generic Sub-driver is no longer relevant? See here

Yes, this SD is specific to the 1/35 Type-23, Mike. It is short of length to make room for the practical weapon system. I would have preferred to keep it long so we could get the bigger 3.2Ahr battery in there, but to make room for the torpedo tubes I elected to design this to take two of the shorter 1.8Ahr batteries wired in parallel. And for the same reason, the ballast tank is optimized for the Type-23 -- it need not be as long as the 'standard' SD.

However, for those who will not install the weapon system, they can use the 'standard' 2.5 SD with no problems at all.

The 'standard' (you call it generic) 2.5" SD is the ideal product for most of the 1/96 and 1/72 single-screw model submarines out there. The 'standard' 2.5 SD is very relevant, Mike.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by redboat219
        Lol, Well sometimes it takes the whimpy guy sitting way back in the row to spot things people in the front seats miss.

Here's something else I noticed. Manfred and you are the only ones doing an RC conversion of the Type XXIII. Nothing on the other sites. Strange...
        Nothing but cutting edge stuff here!
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

The Other guys talk about it. We do it!
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• goshawk823
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2010

David,
            The fitting that you have in the photo that has a pivot for the snorkel; is that a fitting you created specifically for moving it to the diesel outlet on this model, or is that something that comes with the SD? Is there any play in it moving side to side that would cause it to hang up on the sides of the upper hull?
            How long of a run time can you expect with the smaller batteries you've installed, if you include launching torpedoes?
            This build thread has been very instructive; thanks for publishing your steps and the photos.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Sam,

I'm delighted that you've found the discussion useful -- that's why I take the time to write this stuff up, for guys like you ... guy's who actually do stuff with the information put out here, you don't just skip it and move on to the next round of HALO-3 with fellow non-productive geekazoid's.

A couple of years back, as I was exploring the SAS concept -- a system perfected by Manfred Reusing decades ago -- that the key device within the sub-system would be a simple and reliable snorkel assembly. Knowing that the sub-system had to have utility in models of both long and short fairwaters, I developed two types of snorkel assemblies: the vertical, for modern boats with their long skinny sails; and the horizontal, for boats of short, squat sails. So, the two different designs of the snorkel assembly was the result.

As to your question about the snorkel assembly: No. The Type-23 fittings kit -- which I'm feverishly working to get to market -- will not have the snorkel assembly in it. The snorkel assembly will be provided with the 2.5 Type-23 SD.

And, no, there is no transverse play in the snorkel head-valve pivot.

The recommended battery is the ganging of two 1800mAh Lithium-polymer batteries together in parallel. Enough juice for at least three hours of play-time if you don't lead-foot the thing around.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• alad61
                Commander
                • Jan 2012

Oh please stop this!! I just can't take it anymore... How is a man supposed to keep on course for a Brodeen Nautilus when you keep taunting and teasing me so... It is just not fair I tell you...

Seriously though, I've been following both Manfreds and Davids threads out of curiosity with the thoughts of adding one of these to my fleet but talk about a kid in a candy shop with to many goodies to choose from He's on his favorite:biggrin:
                Cheers,
                Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Aug 2008

You poor, poor dear!

Here's more for you:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4847.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	76834Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4849.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	76835Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4851.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	76836Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4853.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	76837Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4857.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	76838Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4863.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	76839
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yesterdays work:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4875.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	76851Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4879.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	76852Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4882.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	76853Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4884.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	76854Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4886.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	76855Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4888.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	76856Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4895.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	76857Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4896.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	76858
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                      Detail Nut of the First Order
                      • Sep 2010

Nice work David,

If i look at the last picture, this probably will be the last time we hear something from you, you've entered the cave of She Who Must Be Obeyed without permission!!!!, and looking at the bloodthursty eyes of Ellie you're in big trouble Pal, run for your live while you can!!!!!!!

Manfred
                      I went underground

Comment

• goshawk823
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Oct 2010

David- what is the purpose of the small square like shapes? It looked like there were magnets in the prior photos in them. Are they additional fittings to keep the conning tower on the hull?
                        Also, why are you heating styrene so that it fits over the cylinder?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Yes, what are you up to with the heated styrene being shaped around the tube?
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
                            Nice work David,

If i look at the last picture, this probably will be the last time we hear something from you, you've entered the cave of She Who Must Be Obeyed without permission!!!!, and looking at the bloodthursty eyes of Ellie you're in big trouble Pal, run for your live while you can!!!!!!!

Manfred

Which reminds me: The Bride-Groom's (Ellie's mob), had, the night before, wrote in big letters over the alter -- for all but the preacher, me and Ellie to see -- "abandon all hope, round-eye!"

Explaining the sniggling of the audience during the entire ceremony. Only on close examination of the wedding photos was this little capper revealed to me.

Prophetic
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by goshawk823
                              David- what is the purpose of the small square like shapes? It looked like there were magnets in the prior photos in them. Are they additional fittings to keep the conning tower on the hull?
                              Also, why are you heating styrene so that it fits over the cylinder?

To insure a tight seam between the upper and lower hull halves I'm providing some hold-down magnets. These are the holders that glue within the hull haves.

I'm providing 20 hull indexing tabs -- these index the two hull halves together. I heat-formed some .030" styrene over a tube of appropriate diameter.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• goshawk823
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Oct 2010

Awesome stuff there. I like that you're including these types of accessories so that the builder doesn't have to guess or fabricate their own. Thanks for the quick reply, David.
                                -Sam

Comment

Working...