Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinksalot
    Commander
    • Mar 2020

I use two 750ml piston tanks in my Engel type IX sub. God is that sub stable in the water. it can hover at depth, just sit there, but it gets boring after a while with your sub not moving. If i could I do the same system in my I-400 I would. Bob is suppose to have his own WTCs out soon. But that maybe delay as he has to go under the knife again. You could buy a OTW WTC and use that WTC in a few subs that are the same size to save money as OTW WTCs cost over $1000. I may do that. Use one OTW WTC for my I-400 and a XXI, both 3D printed,

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

As some of you are aware on this forum! I run all my submarines in a swimming pool. I have one sub (Thunder Tiger Neptune) That can actually static dire, the rest of them are dynamic divers and surface runners at best! I do enjoy designing and fabricating my own WTC power systems as per say for each of my subs. I am not a rivet counter or into much of any detail work like most of you are! Black or dark grey hull with a little red/orange on the bottom and some detail on the sail components the just out of the factory fresh and clean, that's great for me! It's just the engineering and building that I enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Final WTC 1.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	155621Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040007.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	155622

Name:	P4040008.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	155623

If it moves in the water I am totally happy with my work! As for the i-401, if I can design and just put power to her, and she moves in the water, I will be satisfied!

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Click image for larger version  Name:	HL Hunley.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	155625Click image for larger version  Name:	Nautilus one.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	155626

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4190001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.7 KB ID:	155627Click image for larger version  Name:	photo[5405].JPG Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	155628

Click image for larger version  Name:	photo[7761].JPG Views:	0 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	155629Click image for larger version  Name:	Sub.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	155630

Click image for larger version  Name:	Borei 955.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	155631Click image for larger version  Name:	Redoutable.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	155632

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA030001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	155633 Click image for larger version

Name:	image[4123].jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	155635

I have over 15 boats at this point! They are all 3D printed, and do move in the water! I have one (photo above) surface boat, it's called a sub chaser! This is where this hobby is for me! I enjoy the engineering and building (3D printing) of all kinds!

Rob
        Last edited by rwtdiver; 11-09-2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

To all ounce and for all!

I just feel I need to express just one more thing about how I do this hobby, and after this the subject will be closed! To do any kind of detail work on my subs is impossible! Cancer (Radiation) has destroyed my vision totally on the right side of my head, and I have a slow (unpreventable) loss of vision going on my left eye! I just want to put this situation to rest, as to why I do not and cannot do the type of really great work that the majority of you on this forum do! I wish I could!!

Rob

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Rob,
            To put it to rest, I do not care whether you detail your sub or not. I enjoy your enthusiasm and that you share what you are doing. Keep on doing what you do.....although we may rib you once in a while. LOL
            I hope I can make it into your neck of the woods and visit.
            Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by trout
              Rob,
              To put it to rest, I do not care whether you detail your sub or not. I enjoy your enthusiasm and that you share what you are doing. Keep on doing what you do.....although we may rib you once in a while. LOL
              I hope I can make it into your neck of the woods and visit.
              Peace,
              Tom
              Thank you Tom!

I do appreciate your kind comments! I just did not want the people on the forum to think I do not appreciate there ideas and suggestions! We move on and just do what we can do.

My wife and I, and my brother in law (90 years of age) with our health issues we have to be especially careful, and we have really been hold up do to this Covid virus! We have to be more careful than most about family and friends visits until this virus really subsides!

Sorry about all this!!! LETS JUST GET BACK TO BUILDING SUBMARINES! Subject matter closed!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

The upper and lower hull sections are complete!

Name:	i-401 hull 2.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	155660Click image for larger version

Name:	i-401 hull.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	155661

I am now working on the upper deck aircraft storage area and top sail! Ounce these are complete, I will start on the actual build. I do have items, such a deck guns and such to do as well!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

The upper hull and lower hull are glued up and put together!

Name:	i-401 hull 3.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	155663Click image for larger version

Name:	i-401 Hull 4.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	155664

At this point, the i-401 boat is going to be static boat only! As stated above I am currently printing out the super structure!

Rob

Comment

• neitosub
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Nov 2021

That is one handsome boat! Great work Rob!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Finished up the Superstructure and sail parts last night! Even with changing the scale of this boat they came out quite well!

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-401 superstructure 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	155704Click image for larger version  Name:	i-401 superstructure.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.8 KB ID:	155705

I have a few more top deck items to finish printing!

Rob

Special Note: "Happy Vet's Day"
                      Last edited by rwtdiver; 11-11-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• Sam Victory
                        Commander
                        • Sep 2021

You really do have a number of submarines sir, that's super cool! All these submarines could make a fleet, couldn't they?
                        V

IJN I-13/ I-14 sub diagrams:

Name:	F8100E35-C353-4C9E-BC23-EC7BCE87C58F.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	155743

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                          Finished up the Superstructure and sail parts last night! Even with changing the scale of this boat they came out quite well!

Click image for larger version Name:	i-401 superstructure 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	155704Click image for larger version Name:	i-401 superstructure.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.8 KB ID:	155705

I have a few more top deck items to finish printing!

Rob

Special Note: "Happy Vet's Day"
                          Impressive.
                          Can't wait to see it fully assembled and painted.
                          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

I have started on the super structure (sail) detail items. The deck guns have will not print out on a standard 3D printer at the scale I need! I will be fabricating the smaller guns using parts and pieces from different types of guns to achieve a reasonable facsimile to the full scale!

Name:	i-401 deck guns 2.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	155758Click image for larger version

Name:	i-401 deck guns.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	155759

I will be using TinkerCad to achieve what I need!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

In order to achieve some the scale look of the 25mm anti-aircraft gun turrets on the super structure I had to use parts and pieces of other submarine deck guns!

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-401 gun turret.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	155775Click image for larger version  Name:	i-401 gun turret 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	155776

I still have the turret shielding to fabricate and install.

Rob
                              Last edited by rwtdiver; 11-12-2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Today I did the first sanding on the i-401!

Name:	i-401 finish work 2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	155800Click image for larger version

Name:	i=401 sub finish work.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	155801

I also did some fill in work on the main hull with some Bondo spot putty, and some Apoxie sculpt fill in on the superstructure! After the fillers have dried I will re-sand and fill any remaining areas that may need it!

Rob

Comment

Working...