X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Sam!

Thank you again for all the great photos and information you are sending my way! I really appreciate it! :-))

Your help with all the information and photos, has just given me the inspiration to really carry this build through! I thank you again for taking the time, and putting forth the effort to find and install it on my build blog! Great information for all to use!!

Thank you again!!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 10-28-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• coryhenry
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Or... gasp of shocked breath... you can sit down at the bench, break out the tools, and MAKE IT YOURSELF!!!!!

You know. Model-Building. What a concept.

Don't be in such a rush to surrender to the robots.

David
      Of course I could! I could also be using a horse and wagon but instead choose to embrace new technologies :) . Don't discount the effort required to make a digital model.

Now back to the thread

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by coryhenry

Of course I could! I could also be using a horse and wagon but instead choose to embrace new technologies :) . Don't discount the effort required to make a digital model.

Now back to the thread
        Just don't call it model-building.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Just don't call it model-building.

David
          David & coryhenry!

For the sake of not letting this get out of hand, I have to agree with you both! There are those of us that will never achieve the master building qualities that David has applied himself to over the many years that he has been a model maker! But as coryhenry says, digital (I am going to use the term modeling) will be the wave of the future! They both have there place, so it's my take both methods or any new methods should be embraced!

Rob
          Last edited by rwtdiver; 10-28-2021, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

We used to talk intelligently to one another in groups. The 'wave of the future' now has us arrayed around the dinner table, each with a hand-held device in their hands, head bowed down, doing their damnest to not have any interaction with the outside world or the guy at each shoulder.

Count the number of people walking, sitting, driving, or waiting in line with a 'device' in their face.

Our instrumentalities are doing our thinking and tasks now, not us. We humans are rushing head-long into a transition from proud Machinist -- with a vast array of shop skills and institutional knowledge -- to simple bit-changers/chip-sweepers/'Enter' button pushers.

What resources will the individual have at his disposal when the electrons stop flowing?

Pushing a mouse around does not a Craftsman make.

David
            One Small Voice (with apology to Ellsworth Toohey)
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-28-2021, 03:23 PM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cheapsub
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Dec 2019

172mm wing span
              165mm length

no folded wing option.

same on 1/48

don't get side tracked.

アオシマ1/350の「蒼き鋼のアルペジオ」のイ401を作りました。下手ですが、超重力砲などにLEDを組み込んでます。
              Last edited by cheapsub; 10-28-2021, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

We used to talk intelligently to one another in groups. The 'wave of the future' now has us arrayed around the dinner table, each with a hand-held device in their hands, head bowed down, doing their damnest to not have any interaction with the outside world or the guy at each shoulder.

Count the number of people walking, sitting, driving, or waiting in line with a 'device' in their face.

Our instrumentalities are doing our thinking and tasks now, not us. We humans are rushing head-long into a transition from proud Machinist -- with a vast array of shop skills and institutional knowledge -- to simple bit-changers/chip-sweepers/'Enter' button pushers.

What resources will the individual have at his disposal when the electrons stop flowing?

Pushing a mouse around does not a Craftsman make.

David
                One Small Voice (with apology to Ellsworth Toohey)
                David!

I agree with you 100%! I to have a real problem with how that some people are so wound up with there hand held devices! My god! Pick up a book and read, build a model!

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[5602].JPG
Views:	324
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	155120Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[5603].JPG
Views:	312
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	155121

I have built models from scratch using balsa wood and glue!! But I am still open to new ways of building and learning new skills (Robot or otherwise) 3D printing is not as easy as it looks! It takes time and a real learning curve to achieve perfection or at least excellence, just like model building from scratch! I like to look at Steve H. and what he has done with a 3D printer, not bad bad for a Robot tool!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by cheapsub
                  172mm wing span
                  165mm length

no folded wing option.

same on 1/48

don't get side tracked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNhywVypCE
                  cheapsub,

I hear you! I am to old to worry about how to build something and what to use!! I just love building period!!

Thank you for the information on the Seiran kit measurements! I believe that kit would fill the bill!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver

David!

I agree with you 100%! I to have a real problem with how that some people are so wound up with there hand held devices! My god! Pick up a book and read, build a model!

Click image for larger version  Name:	photo[5602].JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	155120Click image for larger version  Name:	photo[5603].JPG Views:	0 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	155121

I have built models from scratch using balsa wood and glue!! But I am still open to new ways of building and learning new skills (Robot or otherwise) 3D printing is not as easy as it looks! It takes time and a real learning curve to achieve perfection or at least excellence, just like model building from scratch! I like to look at Steve H. and what he has done with a 3D printer, not bad bad for a Robot tool!

Rob
                    Trouble is, all this technology comes to a screaming halt when and if the Grid goes down. Those with skills will know how to shave spokes and assemble a wheel. Those who don't will become the servants of those who can make things without the aid of electricity. People don't appreciate how fragile our modern society has become.

We've painted ourselves into a corner by digitizing almost everything; the failure mode of high-tech is immediate and complete. Mechanics will find ways to manipulate their environment to their will, for survival or profit.

You, as others of transitional generation, have both skills. One or two generations from now no one will be able to use their hands and brain. Don't you guy's see it coming? Or, am I just a crazed old coot who pines too much for the, 'good old days'?

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Trouble is, all this technology comes to a screaming halt when and if the Grid goes down. Those with skills will know how to shave spokes and assemble a wheel. Those who don't will become the servants of those who can make things without the aid of electricity. People don't appreciate how fragile our modern society has become.

We've painted ourselves into a corner by digitizing almost everything; the failure mode of high-tech is immediate and complete. Mechanics will find ways to manipulate their environment to their will, for survival or profit.

You, as others of transitional generation, have both skills. One or two generations from now no one will be able to use their hands and brain. Don't you guy's see it coming? Or, am I just a crazed old coot who pines too much for the, 'good old days'?

David
                      David!

You are 100% correct! Any one of our so called adversaries (or our own Sun) could take our grid down in an instant! Then what!! There would be a total breakdown in our society as we know it! Don't know about you, but I grew up off the grid. One room shack with coal stove for my parents, an old WWII Army tent for me and my two older brothers, and OH yes don't forget the glorious outhouse!! Those where the days David! Could us old timers go back to those old times and survive? You bet we could!!!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

OK! Back to the build!

I have started the build on the upper sail/con tower components!

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-401 Con Tower 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	155185Click image for larger version  Name:	i-401 Con Tower 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	155186

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-401 Con Tower 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	155187

I still have 20 more hull sections top/bottom to print out (approximately 140 hours to go) My thought was while the hull sections are printing I will start on the brass railing and detail work on the tower sections!

Rob
                        Last edited by rwtdiver; 10-30-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• Sinksalot
                          Commander
                          • Mar 2020

Yea i been in love with this sub for years. Here is my first print of the lower hull, I think this was back in 2019. I was learning when I make this print. I finish the whole print and it was RC ready. But some one offered me some cash for the print for a static non rc build. So I sold it. I went on to make a 2nd better version, then a 3rd. Then I decide to model my own version of the I400 and have been working on that.

Name:	IMG_0767.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	155231

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Sinksalot
                            Yea i been in love with this sub for years. Here is my first print of the lower hull, I think this was back in 2019. I was learning when I make this print. I finish the whole print and it was RC ready. But some one offered me some cash for the print for a static non rc build. So I sold it. I went on to make a 2nd better version, then a 3rd. Then I decide to model my own version of the I400 and have been working on that.

Name:	IMG_0767.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	155231
                            Sinksalot,

What scale is your i-400? Looks good!

Rob

Comment

• Sinksalot
                              Commander
                              • Mar 2020

This is a print of my own version of the I400 in ASA filament. This is just 6 parts of the lower half. 1/72 scale, i am currently printing this version.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2665 80.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	155234
                              Last edited by Sinksalot; 10-31-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Sinksalot
                                This is a print of my own version of the I400 in ASA filament. This is just 6 parts of the lower half. 1/72 scale, i am currently printing this version.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2665 80.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	155234
                                Nice work! I like your bulkhead supports, that not only give added support to the hull, but if you use a cylinder for your WTC you have support for it also! Nice design!

Rob

Comment

Working...