Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

I'm sure David will chime in, but typically one would drill and tap the endcap and thread the stud into it. Wick some thin CA at the base and it will shoot down into the endcap and create your seal. You can also put a drop of thicker CA on the threads before you get to the desired depth, and then screw it into the endcap until the CA drop is well into the endcap material.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Thanks Bob!

Great idea, but as usual I did not have a tap that small. So, I drilled the hole for the brass screw slightly smaller and used the screw itself to make the threads. They screwed in great and formed a nice tight fit, I then backed them out and applied the medium CA to about center and screwed them back in followed by thin CA. It seems to be a good solid fit!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA STUDS 1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	161854Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA STUDS 2.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	161855

I am manufacturing my own copper studs, and again it's because I did not have the right size for the job. I still have some shaping work to do on them before I solder on the wires from the motor on the wet side and the ESC on the dry side. Time consuming for sure, but it is fun to learn new ways of doing things!

Thanks again for your help Bob!

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

OK! I changed my mind, and I am now going with a better design for the motor link ups!

Name:	ALFA STUDS 3.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	161860

I am using the motor wires and made loop and soldered them to form the connections. The copper studs were just to big and bulky!

Rob
        Attached Files

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

OK! The motor end wiring is done!

Name:	ALFA MOTOR 1.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	161876

I do have a question about the ESC wiring to the motor!?

Name:	ALFA MOTOR 2.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	161877

There are three wires coming from the ESC. They are marked A,B, and C and all black! The motor has three wires and they are Red, Black, and Yellow as per photo. Can I use the line up (hook up) as per the photo?

Rob

Comment

• neitosub
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Nov 2021

Hi Rob,

Yes, you can wire the motor to the ESC as per your picture. If you notice the motor rotating in the wrong direction when going forward, simply swap any of the two wires and reconnect them to the ESC. I usually keep the center motor wire connected to the B wire on the ESC and swap around the other two.

Nate

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by neitosub
              Hi Rob,

Yes, you can wire the motor to the ESC as per your picture. If you notice the motor rotating in the wrong direction when going forward, simply swap any of the two wires and reconnect them to the ESC. I usually keep the center motor wire connected to the B wire on the ESC and swap around the other two.

Nate
              Thank you very much Nate,

I really appreciate all your advice and help on my Alfa sub project.

Name:	SCRATCH BUILD HEX COPTER 1.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	161882

Prior to building submarines my passion was scratch building and flying quad, and tri-copters. Running brushless motors and the ESC's on submarines seems to be the same, except for the environment.that we operate them in. So for me a little refresher course and help does give me a little re-assurance that I have not forgotten everything.

Thank you Nate, and others, for stepping up with advice and help!

Rob
              ​​​​​​​"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• neitosub
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Nov 2021

That’s a really cool looking tricopter Rob! Can’t wait to see the Alfa in the water.

Nate

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by neitosub
                  That’s a really cool looking tricopter Rob! Can’t wait to see the Alfa in the water.

Nate
                  Thank! I really enjoyed that hobby as well!
                  Now that the wiring on the motor and the ESC is all squared away (Thanks for the help) the rest will be a lot simpler and it should start moving along at a better pace! :-))

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

I am getting ready to reinforce the hull sections on my Alfa!

Name:	ALFA WTC SADDLES.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	161899

I am going to use resin and fiber glass cloth.

QUESTION: Would # 6oz cloth be to heavy to lay up around the bulk head supports?

Rob

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

6 oz. will work but it is harder to get it to lay down over sharp edges. If you lay it down with the weave at 45 degrees to an edge it will conform better. Just a little trick I learned from my friend Darrell who does a lot of mold making.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                        6 oz. will work but it is harder to get it to lay down over sharp edges. If you lay it down with the weave at 45 degrees to an edge it will conform better. Just a little trick I learned from my friend Darrell who does a lot of mold making.
                        Thanks Steve!

That is a different approach to using fiberglass! I will give it ago!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Finally! My WTC for my Alfa Boat is complete!

Name:	WTC DONE 1.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	161940Click image for larger version

Name:	WTC DONE 3.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	161941

Name:	WTC DONE 4.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	161942Click image for larger version

Name:	WTC DONE 5.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	161943

All the wiring is complete and checked out, but the big major change that I made to the WTC was to install a brushless motor system, which I am pleased to say works great!

As some of you are aware this WTC started out as an 80mm WTC with dual brushed motors that I purchased from Nautilus Drydocks for my Arkmodel Type VII submarine. Well in classic fashion I managed to screw up the (burned up) the original WTC. So I decided to refurbish the WTC and rebuild it using a single 750KW brushless motor and revamp the WTC except for the ballast pump and ballast tank and use this rebuilt WTC on my 1:72 3D printed Russian Alfa boat

Well I am here to say the rebuild turned out great and will make a great power unit for the Alfa.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Tomorrow I will be starting my trim work on the Alfa boat!

Name:	ALFA TRIM TEST 1.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	162068Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA TRIM TEST 2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	162069

The WTC is complete, all linkages, drive systems have been installed, and the battery is in place! I have added some weight to the center of the bottom hull right at the keel, and at this point the CG is right at the center point of the boat. At this point I will take it to the pool and see where we are at with the trimming. I think I will need more weigh and of course foam will be added to the upper hull to further stabilize the boat in the water.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Weights have been adjusted and foam added to the Alfa!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ALFA IN WATER 1.jpg Views:	4 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	162161Click image for larger version  Name:	ALFA IN WATER 2.jpg Views:	4 Size:	81.4 KB ID:	162162

Click image for larger version  Name:	ALFA IN WATER 3.jpg Views:	4 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	162163

The trim work is completed and I did run the boat from end to end of pool. I filled the ballast tank and did put the water level at just 2" below top of sail! I am very pleased with how it moved and responded in the water.

The brushless motor performed great, as well as the total modification work that I did on the 80mm WTC that I got from Nautilus Drydocks. All that remains is some finish work on the boat and a possible video in all it's colors!

Rob
                              Last edited by rwtdiver; 06-01-2022, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                                • Aug 2009

Great work, Rob!

2" might be a tad on the high side. I'd shoot for something more like 1/2". You just need a whiff of positive buoyancy. Too much, and the boat will be fighting to stay under and be tricky to control when submerged.

Bob

Comment

Working...