Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

Russian Alfa Class

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I used Nates suggestion on installing the brushless motor wiring!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA MOTOR WIRING 1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	161808Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA MOTOR WIRING 2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	161809

    I drilled three 1/8" holes through the end cap and ran one of the power wires through each hole. Now all that is left is to seal each of the wires to prevent leaking.

    So far this brushless motor mounting system is going very well! Thanks again for the advice Nate!! :-))

    Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

    Comment


    • AAAAHHHHHHhhhh! I'm late to the game here, but just saw this.

      REVERSE COURSE! All back full!

      Those wires are NOT sealed on the wet side (we learned this the hard way). They're basically tubes that have wire strands in them. If you use this method, you'll have three beautiful passages for water to gleefully flow down and into your cylinder.

      So... Re-solder the bullet connectors onto the motor, then install female bullet connectors (3.5mm) in the endcap. These are easy to seal against the endcap.



      Bob

      Comment


      • In addition to what Bob said, most female bullet connectors have a small hole in the side of them. I also solder up that hole and then use a drill bit to make sure there is no solder inside the socket that could prevent the male connector from seating all the way. I then use a small amount of thin CA to secure the female connector flush with the face of the outside surface of the bulkhead or box. I also put heat shrink on the male connector and wire to seal the solder connection and protect the part of the male connector that would be exposed to water. Other methods of sealing the hole might work as well but that is how I do all of my bulkhead or water tight box perforations. Been operating for several seasons now without leaks or electrical failures and they are very easy to unplug and plug back in if needed as in my case I run so much in the wet and can easily swap a water tight box from one boat to another as a result.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_083350.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	161812

        Comment


        • Originally posted by rwtdiver View Post
          I used Nates suggestion on installing the brushless motor wiring!

          Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA MOTOR WIRING 1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	161808Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA MOTOR WIRING 2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	161809

          I drilled three 1/8" holes through the end cap and ran one of the power wires through each hole. Now all that is left is to seal each of the wires to prevent leaking.

          So far this brushless motor mounting system is going very well! Thanks again for the advice Nate!! :-))

          Rob
          "Firemen can stand the heat"
          To add on what Bob and Steve have said, you can also re-solder on the male bullet connectors but add a seal between the exposed wire strands and the motor wire insulation. This seal can be thick CA glue or liquid electrical tape.

          Nate

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SubHuman View Post
            AAAAHHHHHHhhhh! I'm late to the game here, but just saw this.

            REVERSE COURSE! All back full!

            Those wires are NOT sealed on the wet side (we learned this the hard way). They're basically tubes that have wire strands in them. If you use this method, you'll have three beautiful passages for water to gleefully flow down and into your cylinder.

            So... Re-solder the bullet connectors onto the motor, then install female bullet connectors (3.5mm) in the endcap. These are easy to seal against the endcap.



            Bob
            Bob, Steve, and Nate!

            My plan was not to use bullet connectors at all and just solder the ESC wires directly to the motor wires inside the dry side and use heat shrink to seal up the solder joint!? Then seal up the three holes inside and out with silicone sealant!? Would that be a good method?

            None of my boats really hit the water that much, maybe one or two times a year at the most!

            Thank you guys for the help and input!

            Rob
            "Firemen can stand the heat"

            Comment


            • Hi Rob,

              In that case just make sure that the solder joint between the ESC and the motor wires is sealed against the motor wire insulation. When in doubt, a quick dip inside the pool should reveal any potential leaks.

              Nate

              Comment


              • And here is where I say is sealing up 3 wires easier and cheaper than one cup seal on the driveshaft?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by neitosub View Post
                  Hi Rob,

                  In that case just make sure that the solder joint between the ESC and the motor wires is sealed against the motor wire insulation. When in doubt, a quick dip inside the pool should reveal any potential leaks.

                  Nate
                  Nate, and all!

                  This is what I had in mine.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA MOTOR WIRE 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	161819

                  I do understand if the motor fails or the ESC that I would need to cut the wires and resolder again! After looking at the motor wiring I can see where the water might come from the motor wiring through the insulation and into the WTC! I am not as experienced as you guys by any means, so if you really feel this is a bad idea please tell me!

                  Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat"

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by rwtdiver View Post

                    Nate, and all!

                    This is what I had in mine.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA MOTOR WIRE 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	161819

                    I do understand if the motor fails or the ESC that I would need to cut the wires and resolder again! After looking at the motor wiring I can see where the water might come from the motor wiring through the insulation and into the WTC! I am not as experienced as you guys by any means, so if you really feel this is a bad idea please tell me!

                    Rob
                    "Firemen can stand the heat"
                    It's a bad idea.

                    Water is tenacious and will work its way through the wires.

                    Install three pass-through brass studs (4-40 works for me) into the motor-bulkhead. Those are your conductors from the motor outside to the ESC inside.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0046.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	161821Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0043.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	161822Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0042.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	161823Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0143.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	161824Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0070.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	161825Click image for larger version

Name:	flyingsubmarine005.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	161826

                    David
                    Resident Luddite

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by type7 View Post
                      And here is where I say is sealing up 3 wires easier and cheaper than one cup seal on the driveshaft?
                      Hi Bob,

                      I totally understand what you are saying, but doing a complete redesign of the already existing WTC trays, plus install the motor to a secure hold down, this brushless motor makes good sense, because if you look at the motor alignment to the propeller shaft in my photos you will see a straight in shot to the shaft. This is an existing dual motor WTC that I am modifying to a single motor design for my ALFA boat.

                      Also, if you have followed any of my other build blogs, you will see I like to do a lot of extermination in my building! That's part of the enjoyment that I get from this hobby.

                      Rob
                      "Firemen can stand the heat"

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named View Post

                        It's a bad idea.

                        Water is tenacious and will work its way through the wires.

                        Install three pass-through brass studs (4-40 works for me) into the motor-bulkhead. Those are your conductors from the motor outside to the ESC inside.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0046.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	161821Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0043.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	161822Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0042.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	161823Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0143.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	161824Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0070.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	161825Click image for larger version

Name:	flyingsubmarine005.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	161826

                        David
                        Thanks David!

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA SQUARE 1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	161836

                        I am back to square one! I am taking your advice and your design!

                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                        I will be using the brass 4-40 studs to tie the power wires through the end cap to the motor! Thank you for your help on this!

                        Rob
                        "Firemen can stand the heat"

                        Comment


                        • Yes, a much better idea. The bullet connectors would, I think, be an easier solution, but the studs work well, too.

                          Comment


                          • Click image for larger version

Name:	images (12).jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	161839
                            Cable lugs.
                            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by SubHuman View Post
                              Yes, a much better idea. The bullet connectors would, I think, be an easier solution, but the studs work well, too.
                              Bob,

                              This submarine building hobby sure is a REAL challenge! Just about the time you think your about to break through it knocks you down again! Working in the water environment just involves a whole new set of rules and building challenges!

                              Thanks for all your help and advice Bob! Give Jason my best! "Onward and forward is the line for today"

                              Romel,

                              Thanks for the photo!

                              Rob
                              "Firemen can stand the heat"
                              Last edited by rwtdiver; 05-20-2022, 12:47 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by rwtdiver View Post

                                Thanks David!

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA SQUARE 1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	161836

                                I am back to square one! I am taking your advice and your design!

                                https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                                I will be using the brass 4-40 studs to tie the power wires through the end cap to the motor! Thank you for your help on this!

                                Rob
                                "Firemen can stand the heat"
                                David,

                                Ounce you have the stud or screw through the cap. How are to sealing them so that they won't leak? I could not tell if you are using rubber O-rings or not!

                                Thank you for your help and advice!

                                Rob
                                "Firemen can stand the heat"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X