X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

CC Clarke,

It seems I have really screwed up my Alfa build! I have two build blogs on this boat at the same time! (Russian Alfa Build & the Unorthodox Submarine Building) Sorry for the mix up!

I am going to stay with this (Russian Alfa Build) for the duration of my build!

CC Clarke! Is there a possibility that you could move those great design photos that you posted on the Unorthodox build to this blog? Your design is a great reference for this Alfa build for others to possibly use on there builds! Thank you very much!

Again! So sorry for my foul up!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2020

There's nothing stopping you from saving the photos in the other post and reposting them here. The following is a good port side sail shot for reference. I take every line drawing with a grain of salt. Pictures dispel doubt.

CC

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail - Port -01.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	153055

Comment

• CC Clarke
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by rwtdiver

CC Clarke,

Thread jerking is not a problem here, and if this Alfa boat is one of your favorites, it may be an interesting side by side look at the two methods of printing! Non the less I think you have an idea that would show there are other ways to enhance the design and building methods used in our hobby!

I may be in someway past the point of truly understanding and comprehending these new design techniques (old dog new tricks) but I for one would say go for it!

Rob
        "Crazy old man at work"
        I was 48 when I attended the Digital Animation and Visual Effects (DAVE) school at Universal Studios Orlando, double the age of the oldest student in my Digital Modeling class (of 30). To me, age is a number and the brain a muscle to be used or it will slowly (and surely) atrophy. With two years to go until retirement, I have many, many things left to learn and master in the next 20 years.

As my wise chief once told my young lad self, "Ain't no such thing as can't, --just won't."

I can show some example mods of the Alpha, but the modeling techniques would likely be intimidating (and very lengthy to explain adequately) for beginners. (Good) modeling is really hard work and an art unto itself. Two weeks into the class I mentioned, more than half of the students dropped. It seems no one mentioned there wasn't a big red Staples "Easy Button" on each desk. When teaching modeling, it's very important to introduce (short) topics in an easy-to-understand way, or the audience will quickly lose interest. Digital modeling is probably the most tedious thing I've ever done, and that includes micro-electronic soldering and PCB repair (I teach and certify soldering at the NASA quality level.) It's worth it when the sweat equity is invested. In the beginning, your biggest question is usually "How do I get there from here?" Once you get the hang of it, and your speed increases considerably, then it's relaxing.

I'm learning Fusion 360 at the moment, (there's no way I can afford the CAD software we use at work at home) and I easily spend two days watching a 45-minute tutorial (Lars Christensen is excellent on YouTube) while documenting everything with screenshots into a Word document for later reference. So creating a lesson plan is no easy task because you really have to go back to the time when nothing made sense and make it comprehensible (and enjoyable to learn).
        Last edited by CC Clarke; 09-03-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by RCJetDude

I would be in for that. What should it be called?
          Ultimately, it's up to Rob, (and I know he's got his hands more than full at the moment) but I would be in favor of a new section devoted to 3D printing, design, instruction, and associated topics to collect this type of info in one place where it's easy to find.

While most of it is interesting for those with a passing curiosity in these subjects, it can also be be intimidating because there is a lot of jargon that not everyone is able to relate to. Maybe a beginner and advanced tutorial section within the overall topic would be helpful.

it really depends on how many folks are in favor of it. Having taught 3D topics and created the lesson plans to support them, it takes an awful of of time to do it properly. There needs to be a genuine interest, not just a handful to justify the effort (I'm not retired yet!)

There's a genuine reason you don't see lines of 3D printer owners jumping through their bungholes to print their own 3D designs, and even fewer creating tutorials how to apply the techniques to RC submarine building.
          Last edited by CC Clarke; 09-03-2021, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Aug 2020

As requested, here's a little info regarding the expanded frames I've started modeling to make putting this model together a bit easier.

EDITOR's NOTE: My changes do not mean to cast any negativity on the model file sold here. It prints fine as-is. My intent is to take something good and hopefully make it better while explaining how it was accomplished.

The frames (called ribs in the files) for two sections have multiple parts. I've consolidated this example of the frames between sections 2 and 3 into one piece that is wider and stronger than the stock parts. The additional width gives more area for each section to bond to, resulting in a stronger joint. Everything you see are prototypes. I make and test multiple designs before I ever settle on a final version. (And it will be glorious.) Some additions include a door forward of the bridge for a mast that was not included, and a forward access door at the base of the forward end of the sail. I've also included an initial render of the original files. I'll add a final version for comparison when the job is complete.

CCC
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame Mod.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	153071
            Attached Files

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by CC Clarke

Ultimately, it's up to Rob, (and I know he's got his hands more than full at the moment) but I would be in favor of a new section devoted to 3D printing, design, instruction, and associated topics to collect this type of info in one place where it's easy to find.

While most of it is interesting for those with a passing curiosity in these subjects, it can also be be intimidating because there is a lot of jargon that not everyone is able to relate to. Maybe a beginner and advanced tutorial section within the overall topic would be helpful.

it really depends on how many folks are in favor of it. Having taught 3D topics and created the lesson plans to support them, it takes an awful of of time to do it properly. There needs to be a genuine interest, not just a handful to justify the effort (I'm not retired yet!)

There's a genuine reason you don't see lines of 3D printer owners jumping through their bungholes to print their own 3D designs, and even fewer creating tutorials how to apply the techniques to RC submarine building.
              CC Clarke,

Go for it! You already have two of our finest builders (Tom & Steve) wanting to see and learn what you have! It may be better to start a new topic on this forum, rather than mix in with my build blog! I think it might be less confusing!? It's all up to you!

Thanks for the photos of your expanded frame system! A great improvement for sure!

Rob
              Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Hi Rob.

Will your bow planes be retractable or in a fixed extended position?
                Also, you may want to check this thread out https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/gener...lfa-bow-planes
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
                  Hi Rob.

Will your bow planes be retractable or in a fixed extended position?
                  Also, you may want to check this thread out https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/gener...lfa-bow-planes
                  Romel,

Thank you for posting the thread site! I really liked the photos of David M's Alfa! The main reason for the two Alfa builds was to design and build my own WTC and ballast systems, and use the Alfa's as the build platforms! As I build on these boats, I am really starting to like there design! Really growing on me! I may even build up another 1:72 scale Alfa and really spend some time scaling it out!

Not sure just yet about the bow planes? I know I will not take the time to make them retractable, but functional as dive planes, a possibility!

Thanks again for putting up the thread site, really appreciate it!

Rob
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Sometimes building these subs can get very frustrating!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Stern.jpg Views:	54 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	153094Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa stern 2.jpg Views:	42 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	153095

The stern section files on this Alfa could have been designed a little better. The fact that the rudder and the dive planes are exact center of one another inside the stern make it tough going to get the required linkage needed to get all four surfaces operational. It's to bad the appendages and stern are one piece. This would have made the linkage installation a lot easier and more substantial.

Re-printed another stern, and with lessons learned I will get this one!!!

Rob
                    Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Aug 2020

I noticed that the first time I looked at the stern file. If you look at pictures of the stern, the side profile is not symmetrical; the lower end is different. I am modifying the stern planes pivot point to ensure neither axis coincides.

That being said, symmetrical modeling is a huge timesaver. You build one side and when it's complete, mirror it to the other. Any asymmetrical differences can be added then.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by CC Clarke
                        I noticed that the first time I looked at the stern file. If you look at pictures of the stern, the side profile is not symmetrical; the lower end is different. I am modifying the stern planes pivot point to ensure neither axis coincides.

That being said, symmetrical modeling is a huge timesaver. You build one side and when it's complete, mirror it to the other. Any asymmetrical differences can be added then.
                        I certainly see your point! Offsetting the axis points sure would have made the stern section of the one I am building a lot easier!

None the less after about 4 solid hours of fitting, cutting, sanding, soldering, gluing, and certainly some of David M's superlative cussing, I got the dive plane linkage in, and it works great!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa linkage 2.jpg Views:	46 Size:	49.8 KB ID:	153101
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa linkage 1.jpg Views:	35 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	153102

Now I can move onto the upper and lower rudder linkage!! David would be proud of me!!!

Rob
                        Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Indeed! You're a quick study.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            Indeed! You're a quick study.

David
                            Thank you David! Your a great teacher!

Rob

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Why not saw off the top and bottom fixed rudder stabilizer and glue the control surfaces in place and make it an all moving surface. This way you can offset the rudder axis from the dive planes.
                              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by redboat219
                                Why not saw off the top and bottom fixed rudder stabilizer and glue the control surfaces in place and make it an all moving surface. This way you can offset the rudder axis from the dive planes.
                                Romel,

That sounds like a real possibility and most likely would work! Thank you for the suggestion! I already have the linkage system built for the upper and lower rudder, and they will be installed tomorrow! As I have stated, I may be building one more 1:72 Alfa and I may just put your idea to the test! It would certainly make the linkages and there hook up easier!

Lots of good ideas on this forum!

Rob

Comment

Working...