Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

As secretive as the Rooskies are, they don’t mind you seeing their subs. Especially the power plant and propeller.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
      As secretive as the Rooskies are, they don’t mind you seeing their subs. Especially the power plant and propeller.
      But, when they were new, the Commies went to great lengths to keep these boats under wrap. Only recently, well after these boats were pulled from service, has good dope on their physical characteristics crept into the hands of the general public.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
        Rear Admiral
        • Dec 2019

I think I’m going to buy this. Not. I’ve seen this POS before.
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/11516146399...EAAOSwLSdhpBOw

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
          I think I’m going to buy this. Not. I’ve seen this POS before.
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/11516146399...EAAOSwLSdhpBOw
          I got a bridge you can buy...
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

He’s tried to sell this wooden POS on RC Groups. Con artist.

Comment

• James Wittaker
              Lieutenant
              • Oct 2021

Really miss your Alfa sub 6 tube launcher,Sir! Which submarines you would armed with teeth?
              Last edited by James Wittaker; 02-06-2022, 06:29 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by James Wittaker

Really miss your Alfa sub 6 tube launcher,Sir! Which submarines you would armed with teeth?
                1/72 Revell Type-9; 1/72 Revell GATO; 1/72 THRESHER; 1/96 SKIPJACK; 1/72 SKIPJACK...

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                  Normally I would not show off my screw ups! But sometimes lessons learned the hard way should be shared so others do not make the same costly mistakes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bad Stern 1.jpg Views:	33 Size:	80.5 KB ID:	158893

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bad Stern 2.jpg Views:	30 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	158894

Here is what happened! After hours of prep work installing the bushings in my 3D printed Alfa stern, and then manufacturing the linkage horns on rudders (2) and the dive planes (2) and installing them for the final hook up. I used a very common approach to installing the control surfaces to the linkage rods. Boring a small hole in the control surface and then using thin CA to secure the control surfaces to the linkage shaft.

laying the control surface flat and then putting in one drop of thin CA into the prepared hole. I used a kicker to speed up the process, and thinking the CA had cured, which it did on the surface I pick up the project and went to a vertical position to make sure I had movement! Guess what happened!? Even though the CA had cured at the hole I still had liquid CA on the inside of the shaft that immediately ran down the shaft and into the bushing. Stupid mistake on my part! Well needless to say the control shafts where now glued to the bushings.

Lesson Here: Do not move the control surfaces until you are sure that the CA HAS CURED>

I now have to re-print a new stern section and four control surfaces and start this portion of my build all over again. I hope my lesson will help someone that is using this process on their build.

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat"
                  Geez you guys!

And I am still trying to get a 1:96 Alfa stern section to come together! Talk about an inferiority complex! WOW! I can't even get a set of rudders or dive planes operational! There just is not enough time in life left to do what you masters do!!

"I WILL CARRY ON"

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Stop whining and get back to work, Fireman!

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Ramel,

That is certainly a viable solution to the problem, and I thank you for that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	NEW STERN.jpg Views:	23 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	158908

I just remembered a note from the not distant past from our MASTER David M. The use of Vaseline on the shaft ends and inside the brass bushing. I guess it's my time in life to start using a legal pad and writing this stuff down, it sure would have saved me a time costly situation here.

Third time has to be the charm!! We move on and never give up in this hobby till we get it and get it right!!

Rob
                      New stern on it's way! Thank God for 3D Printers!!

Rob

Comment

• James Wittaker
                        Lieutenant
                        • Oct 2021

1/72 Revell Type-9; 1/72 Revell GATO; 1/72 THRESHER; 1/96 SKIPJACK; 1/72 SKIPJACK...

Amazing work! I mean …your next project, sir . Which sub will you add Torpedo launching system?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by James Wittaker

Amazing work! I mean …your next project, sir . Which sub will you add Torpedo launching system?
                          We're cluttering up Ron's thread. Recommend you start another thread.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                            Welcome to my underwater realm!
                            • Aug 2009

Rob (et all),

Since the part is pooched anyway if it doesn't succeed, something you can try is to heat up the linkage shaft to cook off the CA inside. Now, if you don't have a convenient chunk of shaft free to get the tip of a flame on, this can be problematic. I've tried with some success at various points in my career, to use the tip of a soldering iron on the end of the shaft. PLA will soften up a lot faster than the resin parts that I historically tried this on, so no guarantees, but as I said.... the parts are trash anyway. No harm in trying next time!

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
                              Rob (et all),

Since the part is pooched anyway if it doesn't succeed, something you can try is to heat up the linkage shaft to cook off the CA inside. Now, if you don't have a convenient chunk of shaft free to get the tip of a flame on, this can be problematic. I've tried with some success at various points in my career, to use the tip of a soldering iron on the end of the shaft. PLA will soften up a lot faster than the resin parts that I historically tried this on, so no guarantees, but as I said.... the parts are trash anyway. No harm in trying next time!

Bob
                              Some good ideas here! Thanks Bob and to every else that has chammied in. That's the great thing about 3D Printing in my case, you screw up (which is a process for me) you just download the part to the printer, move on to doing something else while the machine dose the work. and in a few hours, you have another new part to sacrifice (if need be)

AND DAVID! Your work is ALWAYS WELCOME SIR!!!! And stop calling me Ron!! You're giving me a complex!! :-))

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Some good ideas here! Thanks Bob and to every else that has chammied in. That's the great thing about 3D Printing in my case, you screw up (which is a process for me) you just download the part to the printer, move on to doing something else while the machine dose the work. and in a few hours, you have another new part to sacrifice (if need be)

AND DAVID! Your work is ALWAYS WELCOME SIR!!!! And stop calling me Ron!! You're giving me a complex!! :-))

Rob
                                Oh, ****! Sorry, Ron. I did it again! Damn! I don't know where this 'Rob' stuff keeps coming up. My apologies, sir.

(The brain is the second thing to go)

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...