• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwi 971
    Captain
    • Jan 2015

Hi Guys,

What's in it to me.

I strongly believe that 3D printing will be the future. However, although print quality is getting very good, artifacts are still inevitable.

For the moment 3D printing can be used as an aide but not as an end product in modeling for me.

Same goes for CNC routers for home use, although the quality of the product is fore better then 3D printing, small details forget about it.

I use both, depending on the cost and time involved I go for one or the other.......or often chose for hand crafting, as it is more time and cost effective.

I use the "new tech to my benefits, but people must be aware that it has its limitations.

Just want to point that out for those who wants to "dive in" (sorry for the use of that @subculture)

Grtz,

Bart

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

I use 3D printing a lot. maybe I have found that I rarely can handcraft something that is symmetrical or straight. Using 3D printing also allows me to get more done. I can have something printing while I do other things (like spend time with the family). That being said, 3D printing allows me to create things that would not be normally done. As an example on my Skipjack the water intake to the piston was created to go around items in the WTC. fabricating that by hand (for me) would put me in a padded room.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston_WTC.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	143488
      This WTC is 3D printed (minus seals, o-rings, electronics, screws...you get what I mean).
      3D printing is here to stay and is bringing more people into our hobby. I cannot tell you how many times I have been contacted, but it is bringing some of those that never would have gotten into this hobby. It is also bringing people to use traditional construction techniques and teaching the hand skills those that object to 3D printing complain about (you know who you are). It is bringing in skills the back way.
      Bart, used 3D printing for his scribing mask, brilliant use. I am going to purchase the Typhoon file (it is the perfect size in 1/144 scale - thank you Bob). In time the technology will get better and offer more opportunities. I am excited to see what people continue to do with this "new" tool.
      Peace,
      Tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

We have become enslaved to electron flow.

Take todays young 'Machinist' or engineer. How will they cope one second after?
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by trout
          I use 3D printing a lot. maybe I have found that I rarely can handcraft something that is symmetrical or straight. Using 3D printing also allows me to get more done. I can have something printing while I do other things (like spend time with the family). That being said, 3D printing allows me to create things that would not be normally done. As an example on my Skipjack the water intake to the piston was created to go around items in the WTC. fabricating that by hand (for me) would put me in a padded room.

Name:	Piston_WTC.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	143488
          This WTC is 3D printed (minus seals, o-rings, electronics, screws...you get what I mean).
          3D printing is here to stay and is bringing more people into our hobby. I cannot tell you how many times I have been contacted, but it is bringing some of those that never would have gotten into this hobby. It is also bringing people to use traditional construction techniques and teaching the hand skills those that object to 3D printing complain about (you know who you are). It is bringing in skills the back way.
          Bart, used 3D printing for his scribing mask, brilliant use. I am going to purchase the Typhoon file (it is the perfect size in 1/144 scale - thank you Bob). In time the technology will get better and offer more opportunities. I am excited to see what people continue to do with this "new" tool.
          Peace,
          Tom
          Hi Tom,

I am 3D Printing all the way!

Name:	P2120005.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	143493Click image for larger version

Name:	P4040007.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	143494

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• bwi 971
            Captain
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by trout
            Bart, used 3D printing for his scribing mask, brilliant use.
            Please be aware that although the idea was indeed brilliant...........the end result was horrible imo.....could not make it work.......not a straight or plum line on the sub.......thought I could rectify it.........no such thing......did the whole upper hull.......Will start filling up all the scribing lines today and start making my usual brass stencils.

What it was good for was to use it as a drilling stencil for all the holes in the deck. Lessons learned.

Grtz,
            Bart

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Bart,

All my joking and cheap-shots aside, what you are doing -- specifically your identification of methodologies that result in failure -- is so instructive. The Craft is an exploration of what works and does not work. Without a clear presentation of what does not work we are left to repeat your wrong turns.

It's a sign of good character when the teacher identifies and explains the shortcomings of a process that does not produce the desired results. It clears the path for us students; it makes the trek an easier one for us all.

Good on ya, my friend.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Bart, i really appreciate your honesty on what worked or didn’t work. We all learn both ways. Thank you.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• cheapsub
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Dec 2019

New printer (old ideas new manufacturing), may get the sub printed in one go. And none stop. Down the road.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by cheapsub
                    New printer (old ideas new manufacturing), may get the sub printed in one go. And none stop. Down the road.
                    https://youtu.be/2QOTD6AmqZI
                    Great concept! But it does need considerable refinement for sure! Thanks for sharing the video!

Rob
                    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• cheapsub
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Dec 2019

"Were" a paper copier/printer tech 35 yrs., don't want to see another transport belt!

Comment

• cheapsub
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Dec 2019

I find this, with a Chinese pice printer.
                        is not laser based.
                        info for some of us may think of using 2 types of printer. One for the big stuff, one for the small stuff.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Aug 2020

For those who enjoy priming and sanding 3D printed hulls, read no further. This product is a real timesaver:

XTC-3D™, High Performance 3D Print Coating | Smooth-On, Inc. (smooth-on.com)

Just ordered another Raise3D Pro2 this week, and a set of BuildTak FlexPlates for it and the other Pro2 Plus I use.

BuildTak is expensive -$20 a sheet, but I'm not a fan of glue sticks or hairspray to promote bed adhesion. The FlexPlates should increase the longevity of the BuildTak surface (I get about six months of continuous use from each.)

Best Dual Extruder 3D Printer - Pro2 | $3,999 | Raise3D

BuildTak FlexPlate System - BuildTak

CCC

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

CCC,

Thanks for posting the great information! Always looking for new products and better ways of finishing our 3D printed parts! I am assuming you could use a matt or flat clear coat to cut down the sheen if you did not want that high gloss finish left behind using the XTC-3D product?

Rob
                            Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• CC Clarke
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Aug 2020

Rob,

The XTC-3D coating is only meant to cover any imperfections in the print, and as such, is not a substitute for painting. Once the epoxy cures, it can be minimally scuffed with sandpaper to allow maximum adhesion of any acrylic paint to obtain the desired finish.

3D printers (and filament) are not created equal. Depending on configuration and settings, (nozzle bore, software, etc.) some printers produce layer print lines that require more (or less) time-consuming, mind-numbing sanding to obtain a smooth finish. This product, (which may be applied in layers) cuts down on the tedium allowing you to go from print to paint with a lot less time and effort.

As stated before, other methods of smoothing, such as acetone vapor deposition, are not suitable for PLA (which many people use). This has a two-fold use for PLA, it seals the surface. Being a bio-degradable, plant-based plastic, PLA is susceptible to water, (though you would have to immerse it for a looong time) and this product deals with that. The biggest enemy of PLA is direct sun; it deforms with very little coaxing in just a few minutes.

Though more expensive and harder to print, (it needs a printer enclosure to maintain a higher ambient temperature for best results) ASA, followed by ABS is the optimum filament for RC submarines. The drawback to either filament is the toxic fumes they produce. There are a number of work-arounds for this; enhanced HEPA filtering, and ducts to direct the fumes elsewhere. For the majority of people printing, PLA is fine. It's cheap, non-toxic, and can be used on a less-expensive printer.

CCC

Comment

• CC Clarke
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Aug 2020

My reply is held as potential spam, awaiting Moderator approval.

Comment

Working...