X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coryhenry
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Sinksalot
    Ok alot of people been always telling me that ASA filament is great for outdoor in the sun. So I printed out a piece of hull from the XXI sub. I put the Hull part on a piece of wood in the middle of the yard where it will be hit by the sun all day . Its was 92F on Saturday and sunny. I haven't seen anything happen to it yet, but I only had it out for 5 hours in direct sunlight. we see what happens on Sunday at the end of the day.
    Great experiment. I'm waiting for my Prusa to come and to get home so I can try out their ASA. Of course I'm also waiting for the Typhoon from Bob.

Comment

• a1965l
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Apr 2020

I too have the Ender 3 pro with the magnetic build surface, and I've had zero luck getting PETG to stick to it. I resorted to masking tape and glue sticks, which seem to do the trick.
      "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• type7
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Apr 2009

I have a Sidewinder X1 with a glass plate with some kind of coating on it. Aquanet hairspray generally works to get PETG to stick to it. I'm new to this and am just getting it sorted out but it seems to work well with PETG.

Comment

• Sinksalot
          Commander
          • Mar 2020

Ok the Hull section I printed for this test was from the German XXI uboat 1/48 scale. The ASA Filament is white and I painted the left side of the hull in a grey primer. I left it in the Direct sun light on Saturday from 12pm to 7pm at 92f degrees and on Sunday it was in direct sun light from 8 am to 6pm at 91f degrees. I haven't seen and melting or warping yet. I touched the ASA filament on the bare white side then of the gray primer side. The gray primer side was warmer my alittle. I dont have black spray, i will buy some and spay it on the gray and put it out in the sun.

Comment

• SubDude
            Captain
            • Dec 2019

I have ordered some ASA to try.

Comment

• Sinksalot
              Commander
              • Mar 2020

I just left the Hull part in the back yard. Well i was lazy to get it from the back yard. So lets see what a week in the sun will do lol. I know people use the black version to print replacement black parts for the plastic parts on cars. Here is where I buy my ASA Filament:

Comes in white or black.

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

I just left the Hull part in the back yard. Well i was lazy to get it from the back yard. So lets see what a week in the sun will do lol. I know people use the black version to print replacement black parts for the plastic parts on cars. Here is where I buy my ASA Filament:

Comes in white or black.
                I will have some on Friday to try out. I believe Bob just recently printed the new Typhoon prototype with it and it looks great!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

I started a print of the upcoming Delphin kit in white ASA before I left for Texas and it was going well. When I get back I’ll see how it turned out and post pics.

One thing I will say is you need a really hot bed, an enclosed chamber and a hot tip in order to make it work. Not all printers will handle it....

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

OK! I have a Question: This blog and this forum for that matter is set up for 3D printing Submarines and parts for Submarines, and building other type of Sub kits! I have another project that I would like to do and use this blog for the build if possible!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub Chaser.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	143234

This is a 3D printed full RC operational model of a WWll Submarine Chaser "194" It is the scale model of the full scale boat! It will finish out to about 36" in length and a beam of 5.5"! I do realize it does not fit into what we do here, but it is Submarine related.

Please give me your input as to if it would fill the bill here and be OK on this blog! Thank you!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                      OK! I have a Question: This blog and this forum for that matter is set up for 3D printing Submarines and parts for Submarines, and building other type of Sub kits! I have another project that I would like to do and use this blog for the build if possible!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub Chaser.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	143234

This is a 3D printed full RC operational model of a WWll Submarine Chaser "194" It is the scale model of the full scale boat! It will finish out to about 36" in length and a beam of 5.5"! I do realize it does not fit into what we do here, but it is Submarine related.

Please give me your input as to if it would fill the bill here and be OK on this blog! Thank you!

Rob

Bob's the final arbiter, of course. But I'm game -- most techniques you will present are transferable to model submarines.

You've been banned already today (me too), so double-down, pal. Push that envelop!

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Bob's the final arbiter, of course. But I'm game -- most techniques you will present are transferable to model submarines.

You've been banned already today (me too), so double-down, pal. Push that envelop!

David
                        Thank David!

I did check in with Bob, and he said OK to do, but suggested that I set it up under it's own blog that way people can respond to it easier!

Side Note: I have finally started the long awaited Moebius Skipjack build! I have your 3.5" SD and your new fitting kit so I am ready! I will be installing functional sail planes as well! Thanks again for the great video show the sail planes in action.

Rob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Thank David!

I did check in with Bob, and he said OK to do, but suggested that I set it up under it's own blog that way people can respond to it easier!

Side Note: I have finally started the long awaited Moebius Skipjack build! I have your 3.5" SD and your new fitting kit so I am ready! I will be installing functional sail planes as well! Thanks again for the great video show the sail planes in action.

Rob

Looking forward to both projects, Rob.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2019

Comes in white or black.
                            I got the black and started printing with it yesterday. So far I am impressed. I replaced the magnetic build surface with a piece of mirror. Using Magigoo to adhere the part to the plate. I also upgraded my hot end to one with a titanium heat break intended to eliminate heat creep and clogging. Printing in a heated enclosure maintaining 40 C. Nozzle is 260 C and bed is 90 C. Printing at 0.12 mm layer height and 40 mm/s speed. No visible warping or lifting from the bed. For what I am printing it is very smooth. I printed a sample part and let it sit on my driveway for about 4 hours in direct sunlight and it didn't even get soft. All I can say is it is very promising.

Comment

• Sinksalot
                              Commander
                              • Mar 2020

Originally posted by RCJetDude

I got the black and started printing with it yesterday. So far I am impressed. I replaced the magnetic build surface with a piece of mirror. Using Magigoo to adhere the part to the plate. I also upgraded my hot end to one with a titanium heat break intended to eliminate heat creep and clogging. Printing in a heated enclosure maintaining 40 C. Nozzle is 260 C and bed is 90 C. Printing at 0.12 mm layer height and 40 mm/s speed. No visible warping or lifting from the bed. For what I am printing it is very smooth. I printed a sample part and let it sit on my driveway for about 4 hours in direct sunlight and it didn't even get soft. All I can say is it is very promising.
                              I only used white so far. However I have my enclosure set at 55 C. I use a heater I got off amazon with a Temperature Controller 110V Digital Thermostat Switch that measures the temp in the enclosure and turn the heat on and off to maintain the temp.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only thing I dont like about ASA filament, other then how hard it is to print, is the cost. I mostly use PLA and ABS filment that cost $15 a spool. This ASA is double the cost. But I sure once I get my Saturn resin printer I be yelling about the cost of resin too lol.

One final piece of advice. I do not have my control board electronics or my LCD screen inside my enclosure as heat can kill electronics and LCD screens.

Here is a picture of my home made enclosure.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0457.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	143477
                              Last edited by Sinksalot; 09-10-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• SubDude
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2019

The amount of time I will save sanding and filling, the fretting I will spare myself over the effects of the sun and the amount of primer I will save should more than make up for the price increase.
                                Last edited by SubDude; 09-10-2020, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...