X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

3D Printing Submariens and Sub Components

3D Printing is a relatively new concept for model building! I got started in it building and flying RC Aircraft. Right off we had issues with the materials used (PLA at the time) but over time they came out with different filament types and the proper adhesives for joining the various parts together. With the onset of new printing machines and filaments and after many hours of designing and in flight failures, the concept came together and 3D printing airplanes has made its way into that hobby!

I really understand full well that this new Submarine building concept is not for everyone. Those of you that are "Old School" I understand. I am not trying to change the way it has always been done, and I really admire and respect those of you that build using those old school technics that work so well!

What I do here with 3D printing is a totally new learning process for sure! We are dealing with Submarines and a totally different environment (Water & Pressures) There is going to be lots of learning and I am sure some failures. My hope here is that some day with lots of trial and error I will wind up with a fully 3D Printed Submarine and a viable 3D printed static diving system. My process will be to fabricate an acceptable WTC that will allow my Submarine to run on the surface, then I will move on to a dynamic diving system, and then on to a 3D Printed Submarine with static diving capability.

With all this in mind, please feel free to chime in!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat."
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-18-2020, 09:55 PM.
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Here is where it all started for me! One of the very first 3D Printer kits that came on the market!

Click image for larger version  Name:	002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	137245Click image for larger version  Name:	003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	137246

Click image for larger version  Name:	001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	137247Click image for larger version  Name:	004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	137248

After many hours of building and set-up time I had a printer! It used only PLA. It was a pain in the rear to keep on-line and printing! Extremely slow!
    3D Printing has come a long way since this first machine.

Here are the machine that I use at the present time, and the ones that will be used for my Submarine projects.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3190002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	137249Click image for larger version  Name:	P3180013.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.3 KB ID:	137250
    The cased machine is an older model 3040 Dremel.It has been very reliable and served me well! The taller and much more building
    capacity is the Anycubic Predator. I used this machine to build both the 1:96 scale Astute and the 1:96 scale Redoutable. I purchased both STL for
    both these two Submarines from (Bob Martin) Nautilus Drydocks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	137251Click image for larger version  Name:	P2120005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	137252

I have built other Submarines using other sources for my STL files.

The Gotland.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3170003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	137253Click image for larger version  Name:	P3180003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.8 KB ID:	137254

Click image for larger version  Name:	P3180004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	137255Click image for larger version  Name:	P7290017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.6 KB ID:	137256

Well i believe we have enough background and history as to where I am at today with 3D Printing.

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat."

Last edited by rwtdiver; 03-18-2020, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

I am going to get a little a head of myself with a project involving parts from a Arkmodel 212 submarine (the so called sub in a gym bag) that I purchased from Nautilus Drydocks (Bob Martin)
      I was able to retrieve the two piston tank cylinders (never used) as well as the 4" acrylic cylinder!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3190001.jpg
Views:	2984
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	137262Click image for larger version

Name:	P3190020.jpg
Views:	2932
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	137263

My plan for this project is to upscale and 3D print the 1:96 scale STL files that I have for the Astute, and to design and 3D print a sub-driver WTC system using the
      4" acrylic cylinder and the two piston tanks in order to build a complete static diving Astute submarine! More to come on this project!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

The hull itself was salvageable if you have the patience to clean up his Abysmal (note the capital "A") work done to date. Don't let that go to waste!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Excellent presentation, Rob. I'll be following it with great interest.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Thank you David!

Bob! That Arkmodel sub hull was a disaster! I retrieved a lot of usable parts from the kit, but I deep sixed the Hull!

Rob

Comment

• Sinksalot
              Commander
              • Mar 2020

I was wondering who bought the gym bag sub. Those Arkmodel piston tanks are a handy nice size, friend of mine uses two of them in his Robbe U47.

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Are the tank cylinders plastic or aluminium tubing? If it's the latter you would benefit from anodising the aluminium to prevent corrosion unless you run in very fresh water. Either that or some coating (teflon) sprayed on the walls, but that would influence the size of the bore, and probably require a bit of machining of the piston.

Ron Perrott made some of his early piston tanks from aluminium, and stated it was a poor choice owing to corrosion and also higher friction. He used plastic on subsequent designs.
                Last edited by Subculture; 03-23-2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Not sure what I will do with the two piston tanks! They are a project down the road for me. Still just getting my feet wet with this new hobby!

I just finished up my new 3D printed 3" WTC that is going into my 3D printed 1:96 scale Redoutable. I got the files for the Submarine from Nautilus Drydocks (Bob Martin)

Name:	P3240005.jpg
Views:	2962
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	137296Click image for larger version

Name:	P3240008.jpg
Views:	2971
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	137297

Now! I know what you guys are most likely thinking! This guy only has one servo! I started out this project to build a surface runner, just to get a feel for the mechanical and electronics involved with Sub building.
                  Later on when I get better at this stuff, I will add another servo and tie in the stern dive plains and try some dynamic diving. Tomorrow I will start work on the electronic compartment.

Name:	P3240006.jpg
Views:	2875
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	137298

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good, solid engineering on display here.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Thanks David! Nothing compared to your engineering works!!

Completed the electronic compartment of the WTC. Put it all together, checked the complete unit for leaks to about 5' for 5 min, all was good to go!

Name:	P3260003.jpg
Views:	2887
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	137318Click image for larger version

Name:	P3260002.jpg
Views:	3068
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	137320

Next in this project, is to complete the Boat (Redoutable)! I will post photos as this part of the project as it move along!

Rob

Attached Files

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Today I added the weight to the keel of the Redoutable, and put her to the water! The deck was just awash and she looked pretty darn good! My wife took a video shot, and as soon as I can get it together I will post it.

Name:	Redoutable.jpg
Views:	2589
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	137348
                        The only issue I had, was the prop was a little to much at full speed! It really torqued over! So with a little management on the throttle it ran straight and true. The rudder response was not very good even though I did enlarge it. Other than that, I think the boat is now ready for the finish room!!

I will do my best to get the video up ASAP!

Rob

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

Nice work sir! My Redoutable is very close to being done. Had a bit of a snag with the AD2 as it did not like to play with the Futaba R149DP PCM receiver I was trying to use. I purchased a few R148DF PPM receivers and one of them allowed me to at least confirm that they will work. Bear in mind I am running a Futaba T9CAP radio that has been re-tuned to 75Mhz (CH 67). Right now the PPM receivers, crystals and Tx module are on their way to Radio South for re-tuning. When I get them back I will be able to button up the WTC and start trimming it. I went ahead and did some weathering and added a scum line. My first ever attempt at such. I tried to follow Bob's video and used a laser level to establish the line which worked great! Meanwhile, the lake I live near where I plan to test it has been closed due to the Coronavirus so I have to wait for it to open back up. No big deal as it is giving me the time to sort out the issue with the pitch controller.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200319_063302_copy_2016x1512.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	137354Click image for larger version  Name:	20200319_063325_copy_2016x1512.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	137355Click image for larger version  Name:	20200319_063424_copy_2016x1512.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	137356Click image for larger version  Name:	20200323_195130_copy_2016x1512.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	137357
                          Last edited by SubDude; 03-27-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

RCJetDude!

That is one nice looking Redoutable! You are to be commended on a beautiful job! Love your paint scheme also..

I see you also went with the new MSD for full capabilities. Is this your first boat? If mine comes out 1/2 as nice as yours I will be happy!!!

Again! Very nice job!!!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                              Today I added the weight to the keel of the Redoutable, and put her to the water! The deck was just awash and she looked pretty darn good! My wife took a video shot, and as soon as I can get it together I will post it.

Name:	Redoutable.jpg
Views:	2589
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	137348
                              The only issue I had, was the prop was a little to much at full speed! It really torqued over! So with a little management on the throttle it ran straight and true. The rudder response was not very good even though I did enlarge it. Other than that, I think the boat is now ready for the finish room!!

I will do my best to get the video up ASAP!

Rob

Raise the c.b. higher over the c.g. More fixed ballast low, more buoyant foam up high. That will reduce the torque roll.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...